Air to Australia

duquephart

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Accept that if you want to vacation in a spot more than 5000 miles away or longer, it's going to be a significant cost to get there.  And if you want lower cost flights, then you'll be cruising from NY, Florida or Texas.  No way around that.

Also accept the fact that, if a person insists on flying business or first class (as many Viking passengers are wont to do), then he or she will likely need to drop some serious coin in order to get to a far-off destination. Yes, the person may have points or miles or airline status, blah blah blah, any or all of which may cushion the cost burden. But all other things being equal, flying expensive class to a Viking cruise, halfway around the world, will probably drill a large hole in a wallet or purse — just for the flight.

You are right -- it is expensive to fly most anywhere today. Life is short. I personally don't go into debt for a trip so if I can't pay for it we don't go. However I do priortize travel over accumulating things -- for many people it is the other way around -- they prefer the newest cars etc. Neither is a right or wrong way.

I have never regretted money spent on travel. We are retired now but we did not wait until retirement to travel. We were fortunate that back 10 years ago or so it was not as expensive to use ff miles to fly business class to Africa or Australia --today we have to pay for it so I build that into the budget. 

For me flying cattle class for more than 4 hours may cost me less in money but costs me a lot in time and discomfort -- the plane ride may end but it may take 2 or 3 days to get back to feeling ok after being squished for so long -- that is also a cost to be considered for both ends -- 

In the end you have to do what you are comfortable with but I would encourage you to do it if you can pay for it. Australia and New Zealand are amazing destinations 

• Like 3