dinner dress

I'm not bringing a formal, full length....but a few LBD's that are quiet nice with dressy shoes. Flame me away:) . Really thanks for all the input, it helps to get the whole picture and I appreciate it!

I agree with Lois. I don't see where you've been flamed. You asked for honest opinions and you've gotten them without anyone insulting anyone.

I also don't know what an LBD is. Long Beaded Dress?

Jane

One thing that has been mentioned here , but I would like to emphasize is the option of not eating in the dining room on formal night and eating in another restaurant on the ship including the buffet restaurant or one of the extra-charge venues if your ship has that. I know some Carnival ships do.

You do not need to feel that you are being "relegated" to an inferior venue because of a shirt and tie issue. I, for one, do not enjoy the main dining room experience. I far prefer the other venues. I know the main dining room is something very special for the vast majority of passengers, but the eating ritual of sitting two hours while waiters drag out a meal is very frustrating to me. Honestly, the food is just as good in other ship venues and even better in the extra-charge venues.

Another option, if you have a balcony, have room service and eat out there on formal night. I'd much prefer that to the main dining room myself.

Just know this--you do not HAVE to go to the main dining room for any meal, especially for formal night. It is OK and even fun to eat elsewhere on the ship. Have a fun, fun cruise. I know you will.

Is carting the suit from Washington the only reason he doesn't want to dress up? If so, just rent one ahead of time and it will be in your cabin when you get there. My DH didn't want to dress up either but after our first cruise when he saw how the others were dressed (and that was Carnival) he felt out of place. Now he just rents the tux. It would be cheaper if he had bought one by now but he doesn't want to pack it all.

I....what about those who lose their luggage...:rolleyes:

One of the best packing / travel hints I ever read/heard: mix your stuff together. That way if they lose the luggage hopefully, it will only be 1 bag & you'll both have something to wear anyway.

Enjoy.

Interesting comments.....we're on carnival....which I thought wasn't as stiff and formal....I can't imagine a cruise that advertises all inclusive meals would turn ppl away who weren't dressed to specifications!:cool: Not flaming here, just my opinion and I think posing the question is polite instead of just showing up....because ultimately we don't want to go against the grain that much...we'd never show up in shorts, baseball caps and tank! He looks quite nice in a dressy shirt and tie and nice pants....! It's a vacation, and yes, I'd be disappointed if lots of ppl wore shorts for pity sake....but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm not bringing a formal, full length....but a few LBD's that are quiet nice with dressy shoes. Flame me away:) . Really thanks for all the input, it helps to get the whole picture and I appreciate it!

We went on carnival destiny last june. We had decided not to attend the formal night because we didn't want to pack formal clothes. If i recall, formal night was on the third night. On the second night when we were leaving our waiter said see you tomorrow night. We told her we wouldn't be there because we didn't have anything formal. She said to come the way you are dressed, its ok. So formal night we dressed casual ( no shorts but casual). Most of the people were dressed in suits and gowns, some were dressed casual. We didn't have a problem. We attended the second formal night as well. So in my opinion, you will be fine...have a great time and enjoy.......

Jane, Sometimes you just crack me up :D , it's Freestyle, but I think I like your Freewheelin name better! I've cruised NCL once and will again in a couple of months, the Freestyle suited us very well. They have the alternative restaurants (extra $), the food was some of the best we've ever had on a cruise and the dining rooms much smaller, quieter and service outstanding. We loved the choices and not having to lug along suits and gowns. NCL is the only line I've been on where I actually saw the dress code being enforced, they do not allow jeans in their alternative restaurants (at least when we went!).

I really do think we'd love Oceania, so I hope they are still the same in a few years that they are now.

As for the OP, I have a son who is 6'4" and probably around 240 and I highly doubt I could pack his clothes in a carryon bag for one night! My advice to you would be to pack what he needs, forget carrying on bags or the self-assist debarkation and relax, you'll be on vacation.

You more than likely will be allowed into the dining room with shirtsleeves and tie, there may be a few other fellows dressed the same. He might feel a bit out of place, but if you can deal with that, so be it. We don't get riled up over what other people are wearing, we may glance at them, but it doesn't affect my evening. We had the very best table mates on one cruise who were not dressed (what I would call) appropriate, but enjoyed their company immensely.

All said, I don't know why people think Carnival is less formal (on formal nights) than any other cruiseline. I don't understand why people think the nicer cruiselines are stuffy. It's all just regular people, the vast majority of them are very nice, once you talk to them.

We had a fun time with the people we just met on QM2 and this cruise was probably the dressiest I've ever been on, even casual night men wore jackets, women wore evening clothes. People with money let their hair down just as much as people with less money.

Archived