Cruising out of San Juan, will not get a passport in time, will I have issues?

TA says no problem since they pushed off the passport requirement until next year. Have cruised out of San Juan before with no issues but that was over 10 years ago. I have the proper drivers lisence and birth certificate with raised seal...... will I have any issues? With customs or at the airport?

Just curious I have heard conflicting opinions....

Jen

Adventure of the Seas….. 62 days

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Explorer of the Seas 2004

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Premier’s Olympia 1999/ 1992

Monarch of the Seas 1994

Gee thanks for the help.... I was under the impression you needed them now too, but when I put the ID info in on the RCI web site it let me enter driver's lisence and birth certificate with no problem.... also TA double checked for me with RCI rep. SO... I am sure I CAN cruise with them I just want to know if anyone experienced any delay's/hassles that could have been avoided.

Jen

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Monarch of the Seas 1994

My sarcastic comment was for Jtd..... Barbee thanks for the site....

Jen

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Monarch of the Seas 1994

You are fine until January 1, 2008. Here is the US State Department website that will answer all of your questions.

http://travel.state.gov/

Have a great cruise.

For cruise travel the new date is January 1st next yr, not 2008.

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

• December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I was under the impression you need them now, if so, your screwed. if not, have fun. I am getting mine for september cruise.

This IS what we were told last summer, but the they (the powers that be) changed their minds and changed the date till Dec. 31 of THIS year. (As stated by previous posters.)

If you are married you might want to bring your marriage certificate. When leaving from Providence on one cruise, I was asked why my name was not the same as on by birth certificate. Being the punk that I am, I said "well I was not married when I was born" she was not happy( the airline employee) but let me board anyway. But this was pre 9/11/01. Since then I now use a passport to make it easy when in airports. Now this is just a suggestion don't flame me. lol

Have fun on your cruise.

Maxie

We all have different answers? :confused:

I JUST copied this off the US State Department website.

New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed time line, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Alexis, a few months ago I made the same mistake that you have. That date doesn't apply to cruisers. This portion of the site http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html states what Cruisinfanagic posted: When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

Don't be caught without a passport as of Jan. 1, 2007 or you won't cruise.

Correction to my above post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish to thank Sheffie for pointing out this cruise passport information to me that I did not see on the US State Department website..

Alexis, a few months ago I made the same mistake that you have. That date doesn't apply to cruisers. This portion of the site http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html states what Cruisinfanagic posted: When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

Don't be caught without a passport as of Jan. 1, 2007 or you won't cruise.

Archived