Edge Review, Oct 14th 10 Night out of Rome

woneill63

I will try to be as brief and honest as possible.  

Embarkation:  Took maybe 30/35 minutes, most of it involved getting through the security check point.

Stateroom:  Since we didn't want an iv room, we booked an aft cabin, # 7315,  room was very nice, at least 20% larger than a standard balcony room, and the balcony was probably twice the size.  We dropped our luggage off around 12:30 and immediately noticed an odd smell.  We went off to lunch, hoping it would be gone when we returned.  We got back to the room around 4 pm and the odor was still present.  The stateroom attendant came by to see if everything was ok with the room, so, they knew there was a problem.  We asked to be upgraded, preferably to suite, but they could not accommodate our request, claimed all the suites were full, even though we were sailing at 2/3 capacity.  Celebrity's answer was to move us to an Aqua Class room on deck 9, room #9292.  We were not real happy with this since my sister and her husband were two doors down from us on deck 7 in room #7310.  Celebrity did allow my sister and brother-in-law to dine with us one night in Blu, and a dinner for all four of us at Le Petit Chef in compensation for us having to move rooms.

Meals:  We usually ate breakfast in the main dining room, Cosmopolitan, service and food were excellent.  If we had lunch on board it was always at the buffet, and it was very good to excellent.  We tried to have dinner at all the restaurants, I believe that we only missed Roof Top Garden, Raw on 5, and Dinner on the Edge.  All four of the main dining rooms were good, with Cypress being our favorite.  Le Petit Chef, Fine Cut, and Blu were all excellent, with Eden being spectacular. 

Shore Excursions:  Six out of our seven excursions were booked through Celebrity, most of our tour guides were awesome, two of them we could not understand and gave us confusing instructions, so we felt a bit cheated.  All in all, from my experience, Celebrity does the best job with shore excursions.

Entertainment:  We never went to the theater, so I can't really comment on that.  The entertainers in Eden and the Grand Plaza were very good and we enjoyed them almost every night.

Bars/Clubs:  The bartenders were all friendly and attentive, we never had to wait for service.  We usually had a drink or two at the Martini Bar, always a good time.  I went to the Club late, around 12 or 1 am, a few times and it was always very quiet, not much of a party at all. 

Pool Deck:  Nicely laid out, only negative would be the lack of shade, I don't know if this kind of ship would be good in the Caribbean.  

Disembarkation:  A breeze, we were off the ship in no time.

Final Thoughts:  Overall, another fantastic cruise, only our second with Celebrity, our first being on the Constellation.  We are doing an 8 day Equinox cruise in late May out of Ft Lauderdale, I think that I will like this class of ship better due to it's layout, abundance of bars , and a more traditional main dining room experience. 

Cheers 

• Like 2