Enforced Disembarkation

Definitas

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

To the OP @Definitas Sounds like you only have 3 options...

1)  Email the execs, see if they agree with your mindset that this is indeed worrying

2)  Research every ports accommodations on your itineraries, have a hotel picked out in case you get forced off the ship

3)  Don't cruise until you're satisfied this is no longer a worrying trend

I may email the executive nearer the time if there is any ambiguity in the Celebrity protocols, which happens. There is zero chance of the second option and if more rigorous rules come back into force because of a new winter Covid surge, we may well cancel. We are due to fly via Singapore, which previously had very strict test and quarantine rules including enforced quarantine in government mandated facilities, sometimes segregated. If that were to be reinstated we almost certainly wouldn’t risk it. We have had Covid (wife twice) and are not worried about it at all. However, we want to have a reasonably good understanding of the situation before we make the decision on final payment. We also have very comprehensive travel insurance so, once we are committed, we will then just go with the flow. We may even be lucky and get Covid again a few weeks before travel because reinfection soon after recovery is very rare. We had recently recovered before a Caribbean/transatlantic b2b earlier this year and it was great not to have to any real Covid concerns. 

8 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

There was a long thread at the time about the folks who were on the Eclipse B2B with an Alaska leg followed by the Vancouver to Honolulu leg.  Some had planned to stay on further legs.  At that time Canadian public health authorities mandated a negative Covid-19 test for all sailings departing Canada.  So folks were tested for the Alaska leg and then re-tested for the next leg from Vancouver to Hawaii.  A number of folks tested positive on that turnaround day so Celebrity could not allow them to continue due to the Canadian public health protocols in place at the time.  There was at least one poster on that thread who simply could not understand that the Canadian protocols take precedence the Celebrity protocols.  If my memory is correct she was one of the folks who had planned to take the  Eclipse home to Australia.  At least one Canadian poster tried to explain but that person simply could not understand.

We were B2B on the Eclipse on its first sailing in April 2022 (aka the "barnacle" cruise).  We boarded in Vancouver and would have a turnaround day in Honolulu before taking the ship back to Vancouver.  My husband tested positive on board during the first leg and was placed in quarantine.  I remained in our Suite.  We were given the option to remain on board until his isolation period was completed but decided to leave the ship in Honolulu to complete his period of isolation.

It is important to understand that individual countries have public health rules, and if you are not comfortable with those rules then you should not take the cruise.

Thanks for that very comprehensive explanation. I fully expected there would be an underlying reason other than almost symptom free Covid and I agree 100% that it’s very important to be aware of all the rules for the ports of call (not just the health ones). 

10 hours ago, Definitas said:

Who prescribed the Paxlovid? We’re they aware of your husband’s issues?  Over here the guidelines say that there are potential issues and it should only be taken by people with co-morbidity such as suppressed immunity and only under medical supervision. 

We have an MDVIP doctor; he gave us the prescription and was in touch with us.  What “issues” are you referring to with your comment?  My husband had a severe reaction from this medication affecting the muscles all over his body.  He thought that death would be better than this pain.  The recommendations for this drug are different than what you are sharing.  Severe reactions to certain medicines are not that unusual, but Apex medical came immediately and put in an IV.  Thankfully, he is in excellent health, or was until C made him feel awful.  The first day of the drug there was no issue at all and he felt a little better; the third day, an hour after he took it, all hell broke lose!  My husband does, at times, suffer from cramps, but not all over his entire body at the same time…the heart is a muscle, so very scary indeed.  He is doing great and out of isolation.  It just happened so darn fast!  I could not respond earlier, as our internet is slow, and sometimes non-existent.  I also got Covid, but had no symptoms.  Years ago, I almost died from a long-haired cat; the hospital took me immediately and administered two drugs.  The doc said five more minutes and I would have been gone.  Who knew I was allergic to cats, as I had no issues previously.  

Edited by Lastdance

On 11/5/2022 at 2:26 AM, Definitas said:

There have been several reports of passengers being forced to disembark mid cruise or between back to back cruises due to testing positive for Covid. There has been very little detail about whether there were co-morbidities which influenced the decision but it seems to be a potentially worrying trend. It is also unclear just how many passengers (out of thousands) have been affected. Are these just isolated incidents or is the problem becoming more widespread? Passengers find themselves having to disembark unexpectedly for all kinds of reasons and the reality here could be that numbers are small. Perhaps people who have been personally affected (no third party hearsay please) could let us know? 

Maybe its best for you to not cruise until Covid is totally gone.  You may be waiting a long time

9 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Maybe its best for you to not cruise until Covid is totally gone.  You may be waiting a long time

You’ve missed the point. We are cruising b2b from Florida in Jan/Feb and can’t wait. However, the rules for transpacific cruises are different and the itinerary means going through immigration in Singapore, twice in Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and Canada so it is a much bigger picture