Salerno to Pompeii

ILUVCRUIZN

I am looking for a tour to possibly hit Pompeii and Herculaneum that picks up from Salerno, I find a lot from Naples but we do not dock there. Anyone have any recommendations on tours that you have done.  I am not real impressed with anything the ship has to offer.  Not even sure if this is a possibility to hit both in one day if not which would you recommend?

Odds are you'll need to pay for a private tour for something so specific.  It's a lot to try and see both in one day, the Pompei site is huge.

There is public transit that can get you from Salerno to each site and back, fairly easily.  You just wouldn't have much time at either place.

• Like 1

For perspective, the train station in Salerno is about a mile and a half, on foot, from the cruise port.

There you could get a train to Portici-Ercolano (the train trip takes just over an hour), then walk just over a mile to the ruins (Herculeneum).

After seeing them, it's a four-tenths of a mile walk to the Ercolano Scavi Circumvesuviana station.  It's about 15 minutes on the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei Scavi, the entrance to the ruins is just around the corner from the station.

If you visit the ruins in a "one-way" path, exiting at the Antiteatro exit, it will be a half mile walk to the Pompei Trenitalia station to get the train back to Salerno (about 45 minutes).  At this point you've got the mile and a half walk (or a taxi) back to the cruise port.

All of the train transport will add up to only about 10 euro, vs. about 400 - 500 euro for a private car service.

• Like 3

Yes, it's physically possible but you will have limited time at each site.  That may be all you want/need, I just want to point it out.

Assuming a normal arrival time at Salerno, you could be at Herculeneum shortly after opening, and on your way to Pompei by noon.  That will allow you two or three hours at Pompei before heading back to Salerno.

If you decide that you want to try this, come back closer to your travel date and we can walk you through the specifics.

• Like 1