Questions re Boarding w/Whelchair Assistance AT Port Everglades

bluebeachbum

I have my name on the "list" for assistance & was told to "just check in at the pier".  Is there something else I need to know?  Do you have to wait a long time in the sun or are you waiting inside?  I'm in a Sky Suite if that makes a difference.  And for debarking on Dec. 2 for a 11 AM flight from FLL, is there a wait for wheelchair assistance?  Is it a long walk to bags?  Is it uphill?  Maybe I'd be better off to walk slowly w/my bag.

1 hour ago, bluebeachbum said:

I have my name on the "list" for assistance & was told to "just check in at the pier".  Is there something else I need to know?  Do you have to wait a long time in the sun or are you waiting inside?  I'm in a Sky Suite if that makes a difference.  And for debarking on Dec. 2 for a 11 AM flight from FLL, is there a wait for wheelchair assistance?  Is it a long walk to bags?  Is it uphill?  Maybe I'd be better off to walk slowly w/my bag.

Before you even get to the door of the terminal, just say you need wheelchair assistance.  They'll get you one from luggage drop off.  If one isn't there at that moment, there will be a place to sit until a chair and pusher show up.  They pull my rollaboard along, too.  Shoreside pushes you to the gangway where a Celebrity crewmember takes over.  Disembarking, go to The Retreat or the Martini Bar, whichever is closer for you (Retreat concierges want you to go to the Retreat but on M-class, Martini Bar was much closer to my cabin).  A Celebrity crewmember will roll you off the ship to the terminal where a shoreside pusher will take over.  I've always been rolled to luggage area and then the chair pusher and a porter take me to the cab stand (or in Miami, right to my car = big tip). 

• Like 1

We had a problem disembarking in Fort Lauderdale. Once off the ship there was a long wait for a pusher into the terminal elevator, through baggage and out the door. People were lined up as they arrived, and 'port rules' prohibited me pushing my mom the rest of the way. We were on that line for 30 minutes. Hopefully you won't have this problem,  but you might want to try to leave the ship by 8 am just in case. It is a fairly long walk in either direction, uphill getting on.  If you think you might need a wheelchair I suggest you stick with that plan and not try to walk. Getting a wheelchair at the airport (Delta) was very easy,  we were there around 9.

We had a similar situation in Terminal 25.  The Celebrity pusher could only go as far as the elevator; then a Terminal pusher had to take over.  Meanwhile I had gone ahead to corral the luggage.  It took about 15 minutes for DW & SIL to appear.  But the Terminal pusher took the three of us through Immigration/Customs (which is all automated  - no passports, no customs form - just facial recognition)  and out the door.