Elevators: Why do we need to press 2 buttons (one for each bank)

fstuff1

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

the sign in the elevator says it can hold 20+ people.

just form 4 rows of 5 people.

i might put markings on the floor for where people should stand then constantly ride that elevator during peak hrs (lunch/dinner) and see what happens. 😛

Overload that elevator and see what happens - a stillness - no movement - no indication that

something is amiss - ahem the elevator is overloaded (safety measure) would someone kindly

step off and take another elevator !

The NEW mustard (muster) drill has pretty much eliminated the elevator mayhem after the

announcements at the muster station - good deal !

On the large mega huge ships there are more than one elevator banks - learn where the other

banks are - you might walk a level deck to those other banks and take the elevator up/down

going to your destination.

And folks give priority right-of-way to guests in wheelchairs scooters - this should not have

any negative comments !

My husband always reminds to push the buttons on both sides when we cruise.

Sometimes the overfull elevator will beep so you know some one has to get off. A lot of cruisers are large so I would give that 20 person rule some leeway. I think no more than 12-15 people is more reasonable. I will get off if I feel too crammed in. Some people are surprised when I say I am getting off. A pet peeve of mine is when some one in the back will say there is plenty of room when too many people attempt to get on.

Some times when I see a person in a scooter or wheelchair trying to get an elevator, I run ahead of them so that I can hold the elevator for them while they wheel over to it. This could be misinterpreted as me trying to cut them off. Last cruise, I stepped in front of a man in a wheelchair after he told me that he was waiting for a down elevator, and the elevator that was there was going up. A lady who did not hear him tell me that, told me I should let him go ahead of me. She was surprised when I told her he was waiting for a down elevator. 

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

aft elevators on prima were incredible slow in arriving, no matter time of day.

it got to the point where i (and others) would go up the fwd elevators.

thats where i learned that even though prima holds ~1000 less pax than breakaway, it's almost the same length as breakaway. (1100' vs 1000')

and if i'm in the aft section and need to go down, i would walk down than take prima's aft elevators no matter how many flights

This drove me nuts about the Prima. Two of the eight aft elevators seemed to be out of service, they had red icons in the floor display. Of the others, two more seemed to never move off the floors they were located on. For the first couple days we'd wait several minutes for a car with room (one of us is mobility limited so stairs are a challenge for more than one deck).  As this poster noted, the forward elevators worked much better so we ended up taking them most of the time. Our cabin was mid-ship so it worked out fine. Maybe it was a startup issue and the controller has sorted itself out. 

Patience and Planning. Have the one and do the other and civility will abound.
Be patient. There are thousands of people trying to do many of the same things, very often at the same time. That means there will be moments of congestion and therefore lines and waiting. 

Plan ahead. If patience isn’t your forte, couple it with planning. The same way you account for rush hour traffic, plan to get places early to avoid the traffic. You might arrive at your destination early. The difference here is that you are on vacation. Grab a drink while you wait. Talk to the people on vacation with you. Make conversation with someone new. Bring a book to read, a deck of cards to play. 
Worry about you. Don’t judge others. Some are able bodied. Some are not. Some are just on vacation and paid to use the amenities of the ship … including the elevators. Smile and have fun.