when is a bottle of wine not a bottle of wine?

vicky3vicky

11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It doesn't say that anywhere on the label. 

I did some research about fortified wines and any liquor is added during the fermentation process, so by the time the wine is completed the liquor has been converted into the wine, which is why they don't list this on the label. Interesting stuff.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 6:37 AM, sparks1093 said:

Here in Vermont beer and wine may be sold in grocery and convenience stores, liquor may only be sold in a state liquor store. Agave wine is sold in grocery stores. That settles the issue for me, regardless of how it is made. When we board in April we'll bring at least one bottle with us and see what happens (and no, I won't go "Karen" on security if they do confiscate it). 

Most state laws, including Vermont (I would assume) label liquor as alcoholic drinks over a certain % ABV.  ABV under a certain % (usually around 20/21%) are allowed to be sold in grocery stores.  In Ohio, watered down liquor such as vodka, rum and even bourbon are sold on grocery shelves.  Just because they are sold in grocery stores, doesn't make them wine.  I think it sounds like it should be allowed, but it might not depending on the security personnel.

13 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Most state laws, including Vermont (I would assume) label liquor as alcoholic drinks over a certain % ABV.  ABV under a certain % (usually around 20/21%) are allowed to be sold in grocery stores.  In Ohio, watered down liquor such as vodka, rum and even bourbon are sold on grocery shelves.  Just because they are sold in grocery stores, doesn't make them wine.  I think it sounds like it should be allowed, but it might not depending on the security personnel.

Not here in Vermont- premixed drinks with actual liquor in them can only be sold in the liquor store regardless of ABV. I haven't looked at every label but I do know that the ABV of the Agave wine is the same as grape wine. If ABV mattered in the discussion I would expect that Carnival's FAQ would specify "wine with an ABV of x% or less" (but again, I haven't looked at the ABV of all of the wine to see if any were above the "norm"). 

On another note, the state liquor store (which is allowed to sell beer and wine but through a different Point of Sale system) stocks the Agave wine...in the wine section. All interesting stuff and we'll see what happens come April.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, I am reporting back after my Thanksgiving week cruise. We cruised out of San Pedro on Saturday, 11/16 (arrival time at the port 1:00pm). I had a bottle of wine and a bottle of sparkling rose in a beach bag carried on my shoulder, and we had an 8 pack of Bubbly and 6 loose cans of coke in our carry on. 

After going through the x-ray machine, no other inspection was taken on any of these things. No one asked to see the bottles or cans to verify contents.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

As promised, I am reporting back after my Thanksgiving week cruise. We cruised out of San Pedro on Saturday, 11/16 (arrival time at the port 1:00pm). I had a bottle of wine and a bottle of sparkling rose in a beach bag carried on my shoulder, and we had an 8 pack of Bubbly and 6 loose cans of coke in our carry on. 

After going through the x-ray machine, no other inspection was taken on any of these things. No one asked to see the bottles or cans to verify contents.

Same out of Miami on Thanksgiving cruise.  I left them in my carryon bag.  It went through x-ray and that was it.  No one asked to see it.  

• Like 1