Cheapskate Question: Cagneys v Teppanyaki

New2cruise2022

2 hours ago, detroitlions said:

I actually called NCL on this I got the 33% off 2 meal deal for around $58 for extra guests. Maybe they were just being nice to me but they acted like we have done this before. I would not let me get the discount online.

Great information, thank you.  Will call on it.

9 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

First time cruiser here again. I got FAS for passengers one and two with 1 specialty dining on 5-day cruise. I also have a 3rd free passenger that does not have 1 specialty dining.

I currently have a reservation for Teppanyaki (dinner and a show — more entertainment that specialty food) because I figured it would be cheaper out of pocket to bring the 3rd guest to this restaurant over another. I have no idea if I am correct in this thinking/math. 

Will I pay more or the same to take the 3rd passenger to Cagneys?

Bring your facts, experiences, and opinions. Thanks in advance. 

Personally, we would go to Teppanyaki. And the flat cover charge limits your dinner costs. You really don't want to be the person at Cagney's yelling at the kids "you can't order that, it costs too much". 

While Cagney's is the most popular restaurant on the ship, we can order a steak or two every night in the Main Dining Room. Teppanyaki is a dinner show, and you can order steak, and it is a very hearty meal. 

Cagney's is low on our priority list when making reservations. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

I guess I’m the unfortunate outlier, but our experience at the Teppanyaki was terrible while at Cagney’s quite good.

At the teppanyaki restaurant, which had 4 tables of 8 with assigned times, so all four tables were supposed to start and end at the same time. I do not know what happened and we were never given an explanation, but our chef was over 1 hour late. Our table just got to sit there while the other tables were enjoying their meals which was awful. Our chef finally arrived, but the whole experience was rushed and strained and you could tell he felt badly so was just trying to crank out the food as quickly as possible (and it was not great, honestly). The person in charge of all the ship’s dining did nothing, we asked for another specialty meal to make up for it and were denied. They did send a delicious bottle of wine and goodies the next night, but we ended up missing our show and everything. I will never book the teppanyaki again! Might be a one off experience (I hope so!) but that’s what happened. 

Cagney’s was solidly good- steak, appetizers, entrees, desserts. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CCruiser08 said:

I guess I’m the unfortunate outlier, but our experience at the Teppanyaki was terrible while at Cagney’s quite good.

There are any number of threads on the topic and it comes down to what ship you're on, what you order, and individual taste.  I've had good and bad at almost every restaurant.  PERSONALLY, I'd choose Cagney's over Teppanyaki.  But I'd probably choose Le Bistro (or maybe even Ocean Blue) over Cagney's.  I've always found the service to be most attentive in Le Bistro, regardless of ship, but again, people will have different experiences.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

While Cagney's is the most popular restaurant on the ship, we can order a steak or two every night in the Main Dining Room.

I once ordered a steak in the MDR and to call it shoe leather would be unfair to the shoe.  That said, have you had good steaks there?  If so, I might try it again.  Steaks are very inconsistent on NCL.  I've had fantastic steaks in  Cagneys and LeBistro.  I've had awful steaks in Cagney's and Ocean Blue.  I've had both good and bad in the Local.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I once ordered a steak in the MDR and to call it shoe leather would be unfair to the shoe.  That said, have you had good steaks there?  If so, I might try it again.  Steaks are very inconsistent on NCL.  I've had fantastic steaks in  Cagneys and LeBistro.  I've had awful steaks in Cagney's and Ocean Blue.  I've had both good and bad in the Local.

I like Ruth’s Chris. So when I eat steak ANYWHERE else other than Ruths Chris or off my own grill, it’s a different experience. But just last week I was at a catered event (that was free) and steak was served that was surprisingly very good — not overcooked and tender. It wasn’t hot but the taste and texture was great. Attitude and expectations go a long way with dining. 

@ChiefMateJRKI see what you mean. I’m just saying that some steak is melt in your mouth and some steak is “pass the A1”. But if you like both types of steaks, it works. But along the lines of my previous comment, if I pay $60 for a filet, it better not be the “pass the A1” variety of steak. 

I’m on team Cagney’s…We have a bunch of very good Japanese Steakhouses in the Atlanta area and they are MUCH better than Teppanyaki…show and food…we have some pretty awesome steakhouses at home too…but, food quality and service at Cagney’s is worth any uptick in cost…you’re onVacation! Have fun! Enjoy quality! 

13 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I’m on team Cagney’s…We have a bunch of very good Japanese Steakhouses in the Atlanta area and they are MUCH better than Teppanyaki…show and food…we have some pretty awesome steakhouses at home too…but, food quality and service at Cagney’s is worth any uptick in cost…you’re onVacation! Have fun! Enjoy quality! 

I lived in Atlanta, they do have both inexpensive and good Teppanyaki.