Premier Package Wine Selection - Has availability improved?

MattnTricia

We are on the Discovery Princess for the 11/19 Thanksgiving Cruise. 

We definitely like good wine and part of the reason for upgrading was the the ability to get better quality wines. 

Can anyone comment if availability has improved in the last month or so?  

We are hoping Discovery will have a few of the selections we have seen on Menu's like Rombauer Chardonay, Decoy Cab.................

2 hours ago, mattnday said:

We are on the Discovery Princess for the 11/19 Thanksgiving Cruise. 

We definitely like good wine and part of the reason for upgrading was the the ability to get better quality wines. 

Can anyone comment if availability has improved in the last month or so?  

We are hoping Discovery will have a few of the selections we have seen on Menu's like Rombauer Chardonay, Decoy Cab.................

We had the Premier package on the Enchanted in September and found it a complete waste of money as they had few of the better wines we wanted (and even then often didn't know what they did have in stock) We are currently on the Sky with the Basic Plus package, Day One, so only one data point to go by, but Sabatini's last night had all three of their most expensive wines we ordered. Note that you don't have to have the Premier package to have "...the ability to get the better quality wines" They won't refuse to sell you the more expensive wines if you don't have the Premier package, it's just that you will pay the difference in excess of $12 if you have the Plus package and the delta in excess of $18 if you have the Premier package

2 hours ago, mattnday said:

Thanks for the response - I am pretty friendly and will smooze the staff to try and figure out how to get the something I like.  Hoping that they will open what they have in bottles if they are out of the committed premier wines.  The though of Duckhorn Paradux or Silverado Cab or Seghesio Zin or Rombauer Chardonay would absolutely made the additional cost we paid for premier worth the upgrade. 

54 minutes ago, mattnday said:

Thanks for the response - I am pretty friendly and will smooze the staff to try and figure out how to get the something I like.  Hoping that they will open what they have in bottles if they are out of the committed premier wines.  The though of Duckhorn Paradux or Silverado Cab or Seghesio Zin or Rombauer Chardonay would absolutely made the additional cost we paid for premier worth the upgrade. 

While not on the Discovery, we were recently on the Royal and were able to get the following wines on the premium package: 

Rombauer Chardonnay

Seghesio Zinfandel

Grgich Hills Merlot

Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon 

Duckhorn Paradux Cabernet 

Nicholas Feuillatte sparking wine (I understand that Bellinis had an even wider selection) 

etc .. 

There was even a Caymus Cab that was excellent but that was over the $18 limit but we tried it anyway, as we just had to pay the difference.  It was outstanding!  
Most of these were only available at Vines but if they weren’t open, Crooners and even the buffet offered me something better than Canyon Road varietals.
Sabatini’s had some excellent red wines available, including a very nice Chianti.  Although, on the Royal,  Vines was right next to Sabatini’s and the waiters would get you wine from there if you asked.  There was an after dinner cocktail called the Serento Sunrise (I think I got that right) that was absolutely wonderful.  It kind of appears that we have the same taste so, you might like it as much as I did.  They made it for me at Vines so I don’t think you will need to go to Sabatini’s if you don’t chose to do so. 

We were quite happy with the selections on the premium package.  
I was even able to get my wine of choice, with a double pour, to take to dinner in the MDR with me if I stopped by Vines beforehand.  They have Reidel glasses there while you are drinking your wine at Vines but will give you a nice specialty restaurant glass with a thin rim (non Reidel) to go if you ask them. We always promised to return them and always did so, it was not a problem.  I believe all premium wines should be served in a nice glass.  If we wanted it for our cabin, I understood why they would give us their indestructible wine glasses, though.  😆  
The dining rooms have a couple of nice dessert wines on the menu, as well.  They seem to be covered under the plus package and definitely worth a try. 

Edited by Cruise Raider