DCL returning to old-style muster -- Will Carnival and other lines do the same?

crazy4themouse

1 minute ago, Tyro1 said:

Yes, but Royal Caribbean got their system approved by the IMO before covid was even a thing, so as long as everyone follows the system Royal has gotten approved there’s no reason to go back. 

And no one knows if this was a temporary permit or not. Given my experience with the IMO,  I would say that it was granted a trial period,  followed by IMO review of the data.

• Like 1

I definitely prefer the new way to the old way, but there is a lot to be said about the "muscle memory" for crew members to participate in an actual muster. Also, no one knows how one will react in an actual emergency, no matter how many times it is practiced. I say this from personal experience. While working in a preschool we practiced tornado drills many times (when I lived in Georgia). Once, during a warning and having touchdowns very near our location, some of those teachers went absolutely cuckoo. They had no idea what to do with themselves or the children they were responsible for. Some of them were freaking out to the point that they had to be removed from the area with the children to avoid upsetting them.

I always listen very carefully to all muster instructions on the ship. I also listen every time on an airplane, because my safety is ultimately up to me. That ship employee assigned to my muster station may be no help at all. Different people have different capability levels during an emergency and the ship staff are no different. Practicing often should be helpful for them, but I'm not sure the current system really gives them a realistic scenario.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Kids may be the driver.  There's a reason schools do fire drills more than once a year, while most businesses only do them every couple years or so if at all.  I'd been in the workforce for 28 years before I had my first at-work drill.  My current employer seems to do them twice a year, so maybe they see us as schoolchildren?..

They probably got fined by the state Occupational Health and Safety Administration at some point in the past.  A company can get fined for not doing (and documenting) drills and training. For example, you may personally know how to be safe around blood, but your company still has to formally train you on bloodborne pathogens.