Cruise to Norway, what do you think about this itinerary?

MTV43

4 couples invited us to join them on RRC Jewel of the Sea sailing from Amsterdam on 5/4-5/12.  I have not do my research on Norway itinerary but based on what I read, the below ports are frequently mentioned on this board except for Molde.  I have few questions and greatly appreciate for your suggestion:

1) What do you think about this itinerary and what is not to be missed on each port of call?  We are keen in landscape photography.

2) Balcony or Inside? The difference is $908 for two, we sailed Balcony once on British Isles Itinerary and never had time to enjoy our balcony because it was a port intensive itinerary.   Also, it is May, is still too cold to out to balcony?

3) Will we able to see Fjord from this sailing below?

Thursday 5/4/2023   AMS   5:00PM  
Friday 5/5/2023   At Sea      
Saturday 5/6/2023   Olden, Norway   8:00AM 5:00PM
Sunday 5/7/2023   Flam, Norway   7:00AM 5:00PM
Monday 5/8/2023   Geiranger, Norway   10:00AM 7:00PM
Tuesday 5/9/2023   Alesund, Norway   8:00AM 6:00PM
Wednesday 5/10/2023   Molde, Norway   8:00AM 4:00PM
Thursday 5/11/2023   At Sea      
Friday 5/12/2023   AMS   6:00AM  

Many thanks for your reply!

MTV

1 hour ago, MTV43 said:

4 couples invited us to join them on RRC Jewel of the Sea sailing from Amsterdam on 5/4-5/12.  I have not do my research on Norway itinerary but based on what I read, the below ports are frequently mentioned on this board except for Molde.  I have few questions and greatly appreciate for your suggestion:

1) What do you think about this itinerary and what is not to be missed on each port of call?  We are keen in landscape photography.

2) Balcony or Inside? The difference is $908 for two, we sailed Balcony once on British Isles Itinerary and never had time to enjoy our balcony because it was a port intensive itinerary.   Also, it is May, is still too cold to out to balcony?

3) Will we able to see Fjord from this sailing below?

Thursday 5/4/2023   AMS   5:00PM  
Friday 5/5/2023   At Sea      
Saturday 5/6/2023   Olden, Norway   8:00AM 5:00PM
Sunday 5/7/2023   Flam, Norway   7:00AM 5:00PM
Monday 5/8/2023   Geiranger, Norway   10:00AM 7:00PM
Tuesday 5/9/2023   Alesund, Norway   8:00AM 6:00PM
Wednesday 5/10/2023   Molde, Norway   8:00AM 4:00PM
Thursday 5/11/2023   At Sea      
Friday 5/12/2023   AMS   6:00AM  

Many thanks for your reply!

MTV

Geiranger fjord is the highlight.  The ship will cruise in and out.  Flam also good.  Don't bother to visit Norway if you are in an inside cabin--you will miss seeing the fjords as they are seen from the ship, not excursions.

1 hour ago, MTV43 said:

It can be chilly beginning of May and you will certainly see snow on the mountains. Maybe some roads to high points in the mountains are not yet open. So bring some sweaters etc. , dress in layers.

In Flamm and also in Geiranger you will sail into and from the fjords, which is great. In Flamm there is the famous train https://www.norwaysbest.com/flamsbana/

Make reservations as often the train can be full. If you are not interested in that , the busride to the Stegastein viewpoint is also nice. https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/shuttle-bus-to-stegastein-viewpoint/206803/

In Geiranger make the bus to various viewpoints.  https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

In Alesund you can take the hopon off bus that also goes to the Mt. Aksla viewpoint. https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus-tours.com/tour-city-sightseeing-alesund-hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour

I cannot help you with the other places. 

Instead of an inside or balcony think about a room with a window. That way you can also enjoy the views. 

PS Since you will be in Amsterdam beginning of May, come one  day earlier and   visit  the world famous flower garden Keukenhof. https://keukenhof.nl/en/

Edited by Ine

On 11/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, MTV43 said:

Thursday 5/4/2023   AMS   5:00PM   Friday 5/5/2023   At Sea       Saturday 5/6/2023   Olden, Norway   8:00AM 5:00PM Sunday 5/7/2023   Flam, Norway   7:00AM 5:00PM Monday 5/8/2023   Geiranger, Norway   10:00AM 7:00PM Tuesday 5/9/2023   Alesund, Norway   8:00AM 6:00PM Wednesday 5/10/2023   Molde, Norway   8:00AM 4:00PM Thursday 5/11/2023   At Sea       Friday 5/12/2023   AMS

It’s a good itinerary. As mentioned, Geiranger and Flåm are two of the favorite ports for scenic sail-in/-out, and Olden has a long fjord approach as well.

May (especially early May) is before the main season, so excursions may be more limited than later in the summer, but I have still enjoyed cruises at that time of year.

Personally, I would skip the balcony in early May. It will likely be quite chilly, especially with the breeze of the ship being underway. Invest some of that money on high quality outdoor layers instead. Having a good rain/wind-proof shell (and potentially rain pants) that can be layered over warmer clothes will make it much nicer to enjoy the outdoors from the ship. Consider a merino wool base per the local expertise in stating cozy in all weather.

The fjords are tall and the scenery is all around you, so you’ll experience the drama much more if you’re out on deck with freedom to move around. If you do stick to a balcony, the ship traces the same route on the way out, so you will see both sides, but it’s usually nice to be able to also enjoy the forward and aft views as well. My preferred cruise scenery combo (especially in Geirangerfjord) is to take all of my photos during the sail-in, and then spend the sail-out in an outdoor hot tub with a view, leaning back in the relaxing warm water and watching the fjord walls tower overhead.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your suggestions!

This is the first time that I booked a cruise based on a group's decision. I am glad that the itinerary is good with many stops, and we are able to see the fjords during sail in/out.  We were on Alaska cruise pre-covid, and I hear that Norwegian fjord is much better.  On that cruise, we stayed on ocean view cabin, but I spent all the time on the deck to take photo when the ship sail/in out.  I prefer to see the horizon, I often got up just in time to capture sunrise and stay late for sunset on most of the cruises.  

MTV