Security Deposit and OBC

CruisingAndDiving

If you give HAL a card number it doesn't matter how much OBC you have, they will authorize (hold) $60 pppd. If you select cash as your payment method they will try to get you to register a card when you check in, but you don't have to. As long as you spend less than your OBC there is no problem. If your OBC gets to low, they will ask for either more cash or a card number. If you give them a card number they will authorize the $60 pppd for the remainder of the cruise.

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

If you give HAL a card number it doesn't matter how much OBC you have, they will authorize (hold) $60 pppd. If you select cash as your payment method they will try to get you to register a card when you check in, but you don't have to. As long as you spend less than your OBC there is no problem. If your OBC gets too low, they will ask for either more cash or a card number. If you give them a card number they will authorize the $60 pppd for the remainder of the cruise.

richwmn I just changed my upcoming booking to cash payment method and had to agree to pay $60 pppd in cash on embarkation day. Was this your experience and in your opinion will they try to enforce it if we have considerable obc and HIA?

4 hours ago, DinkyDee67 said:

Was this your experience and in your opinion will they try to enforce it if we have considerable obc and HIA?

Not Rich, but I understand that HIA does not come into the equation at all.  It is simply $60 per day per person by cc or cash.  If there is a huge amount of OBC then it will be a few days before they request the 'top up'.  

6 hours ago, DinkyDee67 said:

richwmn I just changed my upcoming booking to cash payment method and had to agree to pay $60 pppd in cash on embarkation day. Was this your experience and in your opinion will they try to enforce it if we have considerable obc and HIA?

I don't know what the limit might be. I generally have pretty close to the $60 pppd in OBC either given by HAL/CCL or by purchasing OBC in advance. I think I have been short by $100 and not questioned. When I check in the representative will generally ask me to add a card and I reply that I have a sufficient balance. I always have cash refunded to me at the end of the cruise.

@VMax1700is correct. Having HIA, or any other perk, does not change the amount of the hold.