MARELLA EXPLORER

Hello,

I am just about to book on Marella Explorer departing Gran Canaria on 23/1/23. I have just got back from being on P & O Ventura & wanted to know how this ship compares to that one. The 14 day cruise we were on took in Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar & Morocco & with £530.00 on board spend & free parking at Southampton was only £2600.00 for 2 people. We would be doing a cruise & stay with 7 nights at a hotel in Gran Canaria at the end of the cruise. If anyone would like to join us by getting a taxi at some of the ports please let me know. We are both in our mid/late 70's but are able to get about without any problems.

We were on Marella Explorer earlier this year and we thought she was lovely, she is smaller than Ventura and doesn't have the large atrium but the bars and spaces like the coffee shop are modern and well fitted out.  The cabins are, like Ventura's, are a bit older but she was built for Celebrity and you can just tell she is a 'quality' ship that was very well built.  Personally we now prefer Marella to P&O, their whole experience is just friendlier and better.  We'd love to share a taxi with you but unfortunately we can't make this one!!  I hope you book and enjoy.

We have just come off Explorer in Gran Canaria. Had. Brilliant 2 week cruise. Food excellent. Staff excellent. We also do P&O and are on Britannia again for Christmas. Which is the better cruise company? Difficult that one. Probably Marella at the moment. The only problem we had on our recent Explorer cruise was getting to and from Gran Canaria from Manchester. Dreadful journeys. 

We were on the repositioning cruise 28th Oct - 8th Nov, which we really enjoyed, but I have to agree with Jim about some of the food, compared to pre-covid cruises we have taken.

We have never used the speciality eating venues on board, as we have always found the food in Latitude fine, but I did wonder if Marella are trying to 'encourage' people to book the paid venues (which from what I have seen, seem to get very good reviews)

4 hours ago, howmuch! said:

We were on the repositioning cruise 28th Oct - 8th Nov, which we really enjoyed, but I have to agree with Jim about some of the food, compared to pre-covid cruises we have taken.

We have never used the speciality eating venues on board, as we have always found the food in Latitude fine, but I did wonder if Marella are trying to 'encourage' people to book the paid venues (which from what I have seen, seem to get very good reviews)

Hi Howmuch.

If their normal standards are dropping it’s usually down to cost cutting, perhaps they are trying to negate rising food costs etc.  In our experience the paid restaurants are usually well attended anyway so no real need to encourage more diners to attend.

We are away on Explorer soon so we will see.  As an aside do they ever show the later stages of the World Cup on board?

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent a week on the Explorer around the Canaries, not really that impressed. Food was OK, we found the TAPAS place the best, we had a couple of very nice meals in there; TAPAS one night and fish skewers on another (there's an extra charge for the skewers). Other restaurants, food was OK, nothing special.

Staff are great as always on Marella ships, one thing we were disappointed with in particular, which is usually a highlight for us, were the broadway lounge shows. There seemed to be a departure from putting on shows based on Broadway classics, and most of the shows were not our cup of tea. We've seen some fabulous shows on our previous Marella cruises. I guess they were trying to do something different, it just wasn't for us and left a hole in our evening's entertainment.

It just shows you how one size never fits all…….!!we thought the tapas ok but the food in the dining club was exceptional. We also liked the surf & turf, kora La and Vista very much. But  the revelation for us was breakfast in the mdr. Never done that before on any ship but we were really impressed with it on Explorer. The worst eatery on the ship is the buffet (in our opinion!!!).

Just returned from a week on Explorer, Main Dining room was a miss on both nights we tried it. Vista and Tapas were excellent, buffet was a non event, only 5 main dishes to choose from in the evening, breakfast was however excellent.

The Broadway shows changed when Peel were replaced by Ted. Marella appear to have targeted a younger cliental, and judging by FB comments on the Explorer page, it appears to be a hit with new younger (than me) travellers, who all appear to be subscribing to 'premium drink packages', balcony cabins etc.

The ships are now fairly full so with current prices, Marella must be making a killing.

Just loved the Broadway shows, best for us was Thriller on Celebration, many years ago, always a definite go to after dinner but things do move on we didn't particularly enjoy the new generation of entertainment but can understand why they have a need for change. By the way Howmuch we are oldies and always had upgrades on accommodation, drinks and flights that's not just a new generation thing. 😊

On 12/17/2022 at 8:20 PM, Pensioncruiser said:

Just loved the Broadway shows, best for us was Thriller on Celebration, many years ago, always a definite go to after dinner but things do move on we didn't particularly enjoy the new generation of entertainment but can understand why they have a need for change. By the way Howmuch we are oldies and always had upgrades on accommodation, drinks and flights that's not just a new generation thing. 😊

Its the Yorkshire in me - plenty of money for all those things, just can't get into the habit of spending it!!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 4:20 PM, howmuch! said:

Bj - you could be right, everything else was great, no service issues at all. Have a good cruise and report back your thoughts to us if you don't mind. 

We arrived home after a two week Canary’s cruise last Tuesday. Here is our opinion on the Explorer as it is now.

The food in the MDR was an acceptable standard but were never served a HOT meal over the two weeks.food quality and portions were average. In the buffet the food was also ok but not much warmer. Announcements over the PA system apologising for shortages of certain foods due to supply chain problems and there were different things missing on different days. Eg no cornflakes at breakfast for about four days. No tomato’s,black pudding or mushrooms at b/fast for the first week then they appeared for week 2.

We had a meal at the extra cost restaurants……. The surf and turf was magnificent as usual, the best meal of the holiday…….The Kora la despite the good reviews was a massive disappointment, neither of us enjoyed the meal.

The entertainment in the Broadway show lounge was pretty much shows that they have been doing for the past few years so we didn’t bother as we have seen them over and over previously. The bands and solo singers were quite good and were all in the Xmas party mood. As always the jewels in Marellas crown were the staff who were all super friendly and efficient. Overall we enjoyed a good couple of weeks in the sunshine.

Feel free to ask any questions.😉

Nice review BJ.

But my last Cruise on the Discovery in the S&T was our worst meal of the cruise, I will just leave a picture of my meal and let you all make up your own minds. I know all ships ate different but as a TUI/Marella Brand should all be singing off the same hymn sheet.

PS, Soon to try a new brand in 9 days time for 12 days.

IMG20221005203752.jpg

1 hour ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Nice review BJ.

But my last Cruise on the Discovery in the S&T was our worst meal of the cruise, I will just leave a picture of my meal and let you all make up your own minds. I know all ships ate different but as a TUI/Marella Brand should all be singing off the same hymn sheet.

IMG20221005203752.jpg

What was that supposed to be according to the menu.?🤔😳
( I can make out the well done prawns)🧐

On 12/24/2022 at 12:04 PM, Rebel Rouser said:

Nice review BJ.

IMG20221005203752.jpg

Immediately after you left S&T, did you go to the buffet for a meal 

Edited by howmuch!
add

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Not certain but I think one of the Explorers is featured on channel 5 next Friday with Susan Calman. 😊

It looked like Explorer 2 in the preview clip, looking forward to it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, My wife and I will be joining the explorer on Febuary 13th for a 7 day cruise. Teneriffe on 14th, looking to spend the day at Loro Park. If anyone would like to share a taxi or knows of better ways to get there, please let us know. We are both in out late 50's and this will be our 3rd cruise.

Hi 

we are just back from a week in Explorer (which followed a week in a hotel at Puerto de La Cruz). We had a great time. Excellent service in all departments with a willing and friendly waiting and service team. Great credit to the management that employees should be so friendly especially when operating on an all inclusive basis. My brother and partner had the upgraded drinks package which hardly seemed worthwhile.

It was also good to hear a British (former RN submariner) Captain giving friendly and helpful updates.

A korala meal was a real feast as was another in Surf and Turf. That being said the meals in the main dining room (where we invariably dined) were well presented, cheerfully and quickly served. Waiters were happy to provide extras, for example two starters, whenever requested. Beef Wellington one night was of a high standard. Prawn cocktail always available - for those that seek this (see P&O boards!)

Buffet meals were not so interesting, poor cold meat selection (& out of a tin - although described otherwise) and we found no cold fish. Fresh roast beef was good when provided. At tea time so called clotted cream was actually whipped cream - not good for a Devonian!

Our 4 deck cabin with a window was in good order although my brother in a similar cabin had serious over heating ventilation issues throughout which was disappointing. Maintenance staff attempted to fix but failed. Beware.

The theatre shows were excellent with high quality dancing, props and dress. We could not always follow the theme of the shows but that did no detract from the entertainment!

Some quite large people on this ship so one might conclude the catering is much appreciated!

All in all an excellent cruise. I would advise dining in the main restaurant whenever possible.

Our next cruise, soon, is another in Iona where I suspect staffing levels will still be poor, the menu has been limited and queuing for meals will be necessary (according to comments on the P&O board and they were certainly issues on te maiden voyage we went on.) The contrast will be interesting. From my point of view TUI/Marella have it together and offer an excellent package.