Red snapper, Cozumel

JOHN 57

Of you are looking for a Red Snapper (Lutanus campechanus), like the ones served in US restaurants that are caught in the Gulf of Mexico, you will not find any in Cozumel.  There are several other fishes that are sold here as Red Snapper, but they are imposters.  If you come all the way to Cozumel, try the local fish (Lionfish is a good one.  So are Trigerfish and Hogfish).  But beware, many restaurants serve imported frozen fish as if it was local caught.  For example, 90% of the fish used in ceviche in Cozumel restaurants is Basa, a cheap Chinese catfish sold in frozen fillets here.  Tourists seem to like it though.  To me, frozen Chinese fish cut up for ceviche just too much to take.  Cozumel has no fresh shrimp either, all that is imported frozen.  Most of it has been frozen and refrozen many times.  That's why the frozen Rock Cornish hens in the supermarket here are all flat.  They were piled up in the truck, allowed to thaw, then refrozen.

Very, very. little of the seafood in Cozumel restaurants has not been previously frozen; even most of the fish available in the Municipal Market that comes from the Cozumel Fishing Co-op was previously frozen.  That Co-op doesn't actually fish in Cozumel, their fishing grounds are much farther south of here.  They freeze their catch before bringing it to Cozumel, be it lobsters or fish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riconcoz said:

Of you are looking for a Red Snapper (Lutanus campechanus), like the ones served in US restaurants that are caught in the Gulf of Mexico, you will not find any in Cozumel.  There are several other fishes that are sold here as Red Snapper, but they are imposters.  If you come all the way to Cozumel, try the local fish (Lionfish is a good one.  So are Trigerfish and Hogfish).  But beware, many restaurants serve imported frozen fish as if it was local caught.  For example, 90% of the fish used in ceviche in Cozumel restaurants is Basa, a cheap Chinese catfish sold in frozen fillets here.  Tourists seem to like it though.  To me, frozen Chinese fish cut up for ceviche just too much to take.  Cozumel has no fresh shrimp either, all that is imported frozen.  Most of it has been frozen and refrozen many times.  That's why the frozen Rock Cornish hens in the supermarket here are all flat.  They were piled up in the truck, allowed to thaw, then refrozen.

Very, very. little of the seafood in Cozumel restaurants has not been previously frozen; even most of the fish available in the Municipal Market that comes from the Cozumel Fishing Co-op was previously frozen.  That Co-op doesn't actually fish in Cozumel, their fishing grounds are much farther south of here.  They freeze their catch before bringing it to Cozumel, be it lobsters or fish.

I am not a fish aficionado so cannot comment on authenticity although I have seen fish charters claim to take people fishing for snapper in season. I just know whether I have enjoyed a “fish” dinner or not! I think many commercial fishermen these days flash freeze their catch?

I understood Lionfish, once considered a reef predator, was now considered under control?

As a local, according to your profile, perhaps it would have been useful to answer the OP’s question and maybe offered some insight into “good” fish restaurants that we could enjoy, hopefully serving red snapper but at least being honest as to what they are serving?

Edited by c-leg5

On 11/20/2022 at 6:40 PM, Riconcoz said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  Given what you've said, were I to visit the port once again I'd probably choose something to eat other than fish.  I can always eat fish on board the ship, if I had a burning desire to do so.