Independent Excursions and Covid Isolation

Galley Slave

What have been the experiences of people who organize independent excursions or sign up as a participant if they have tested positive?  I assume the payment to the tour operator can be handled by other participants.  If people are in isolation, are they still obligated to pay their share of the tour?  Does the organizer find a way to transfer the money to someone who is not in isolation?  This makes planning independent excursions even more of a challenge.

From what I've seen from posts in the roll calls is they usually can be filled by others if done sooner than later but it depends on the tour guide and deposit/payment requirements. I usually try to organize excursions that can take a range of people for a set price that way you can juggle the numbers up or down without affecting price. We've also done excursions where each person was responsible for their own deposit, which doesn't affect the group as much. I have seen tours that the total price is based on fixed number of people so if one backs out, the individual costs increase (disclosed beforehand to group). I've also lost deposits from cruise being cancelled so not all tours are able to accomodate change. During these dynamic times we have to allow for various situations. 

• Like 1

My view would be if they are unable to fill your position (on a private tour) then you should pay your share for any reason you don’t attend.  The other participants should not have to serve as an insurance policy for you.  Recently I learned there are some insurance companies which will cover a certain amount of missed shore excursion costs.  Perhaps you should buy such a policy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1