Liberty vs. Valor

cat55

We are trying to decide between the Liberty (8 day) and Valor (7 day). We have never been on a Carnival cruise before and want to give it a try. This would be for the western caribbean. Liberty sails out of Port Everlgldes, Costa Maya, Puerto Limon, Colon and Valor is Miami, Belize City, Honduras, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya. Valor is about $300.00 less and both are priced for balcony rooms. We could go for about the same price if we took an oceanview on the Liberty and balcony on the Valor. Thanks for your help!

Did the Valor Western Itinerary in January and am doing the Liberty 6-day at the end of this month. You are listing only 3 ports for the Liberty--is that right? Are ports important to you? (Valor has 4 ports.) We were happy with the Valor. I particularly enjoyed the variety in ports. We did zip-line in Roatan as well as some great beaching and snorkeling. I really liked the Xunantunich Mayan ruins tour in Belize. Then you get to visit Mexico also. Great itinerary. Ron Pass in the piano bar is great (Valor)-reviews here state the guy on Liberty is terrible. This disco was always hopping on the Valor. People seemed to be having fun.

Lucy55

The Liberty ship does make three stops which is the same as Valor but you do get an extra day at sea. Itineary is important to us and also whether they are tender ports or they dock. Thanks for the imput on the Valor.

The Vaor and the Liberty are the exact same size and shape. The only difference is the decor and age.

As for the cruises, the $300 difference is because the Liberty is an 8 day cruise while the Valor os a 7 day cruise. The extra day will come close to $150 per person. Note also that the Liberty is a year newer.

Have been to all the ports mentioned. Panama and Costa Rica are a bit more exotic than Grand Camen, for instance.

As others have mention, sea or port days may play a big part in your decision.

If relaxing on the beach is what you are looking for definitely take the Valor - the ports on the 8 nite Liberty western are more jungle and tours than beach. The tours take a little more research than your average itinerary. I love the beach but seeing the locks of the canal and getting lunch at an indiginous(sp??) indian village and ziplining thru the Costa Rican canopy were the draw for booking the Liberty for us. Besides many cruises with many lines cruise year round to the Valor's itinerary.

I would actually enjoy both itineraries as far as the Valor and the Liberty. Look forward to hearing your review on your upcoming Liberty trip. I did hear that the cost of the excursions are more for the Liberty western caribbean but I haven't investigated the prices myself. Thanks again.

I agree, the ships are identical ...i was on the Valor last year, and the Liberty this year..

My opinion...the difference I found...Liberty was a more beautiful ship as far as the decor...the food was much more tasteful on the Liberty, except for the Stir fry station...Valor has that one down pat..and on the Liberty I found the staff to be Rude..I went to the pursers desk to ask a question and I got a smart remark and a snub...and as for some of the others, they would sooner just do their job and not be bothered to talk to you or help you...first time I ever run into that on a Cruise ship..

You have to decide what you want to see and what you want to do while on a Cruise...and always remember A CRUISE OR HOLIDAY IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT...SO GO WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE...HAVE FUN

We sailed on the Valor 7-day western carib last May and the Liberty 8-day east carib this Feb. We enjoyed both cruises.

Before choosing the 8-day Liberty, we actually debated between a 7-day south carib cruise with a balcony cabin or the Liberty 8-day interior, which were the same price. Interior vs balcony, 7-day vs 8-day. We chose the 8-day (and newest ship) with an interior cabin. We thought the extra day was great. However, you will find others may prefer the balcony over the extra day.

We did feel much more movement on the Liberty, but that was probably due to the Eastern Caribbean (vs the smoother western carib of the Valor). We had mid-ship cabins on both ships.

We thought the crew was great on both ships.

Not much difference in the two ports (Ft Lauderdale and Miami). Though we did find the hotels near the Miami airport to be less expensive than the Ft Laud airport (in February). However, airfare was cheaper to FLL vs Miami airport.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll enjoy either of them.

I have been on both as well....loved both.....I don't see how you can make a wrong choice.

I would look at the tours offered at each of the ports and decide which has the most excursions I am interested in. Is the Valor itinerary Coz, Cayman, Belize and Roatan? If so, that is an AWESOME itinerary. I would that one again in a heartbeat!

Liberty IS beautiful...like Montana said. It is the prettiest of all the Carnival ships that I have been on................Liberty has the Jumbotron...It was very cool watching the Super Bowl on it....Are you sailing in February?

We did the Valor with fmily in '05. Great ship...nice staff. good food. Loved the variety of the ports...Cozumel has been replaces by Costa Maya for most dates thru April '07. Roatan is beautiful..get away from the port and enjoy this paradise. Belize..went to the Altum Ha ruins...loved it! There is a variety of things to do at each port. Something for everyone from kids to seniors..have fun:)

Archived