Cuba entry form

Is anyone booked on the  Feb 2023 cruise which includes Cuba.

I have had a look at the entry form required and apart from the fact you can't fill it in until the month you cruise, when asked what ship/airline you are on there are no ships on the list, only airlines!!

Am I missing something🤔

Molly

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:38 AM, Alison2022 said:

Travelled there in March. Marella supplied the forms to cabins which were completed by the guests.£15 per person was charged to onboard account. Passport then stamped at the cruise terminal. There is nothing to do in advance of travel.

Thanks Alison and thanks for the info regarding currency. It is our first time to Cuba and looking forward to it. Did you pre-book the classic car ride with Marella or go private?

Molly

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, paularmstrong said:

we docked in there a few year ago and you had to fill forms in at immigration at port , you do realise if you have cuban stamp on passport you are not allowed in USA on standard ESTA visa for a number of years

We are potentially going to have problems with US entry later this year.  There seems to be confusion as to whether it is only if you have visited since a date in 2021, or a date in 2011.  We last went to Cuba in 2018, so are just hoping this is sorted before our planned visit to the US in September.  If we cannot use an ESTA, we have to go personally to a US Embassy or consulate to get a full visa. That means a trip to London to visit the embassy, though apparently there is a consulate in Belfast, which we are thinking may be the easier option for us.

Our cruise agent is trying to get the situation clarified.

Edited by tring

19 hours ago, tring said:

We are potentially going to have problems with US entry later this year.  There seems to be confusion as to whether it is only if you have visited since a date in 2021, or a date in 2011.  We last went to Cuba in 2018, so are just hoping this is sorted before our planned visit to the US in September.  If we cannot use an ESTA, we have to go personally to a US Embassy or consulate to get a full visa. That means a trip to London to visit the embassy, though apparently there is a consulate in Belfast, which we are thinking may be the easier option for us.

Our cruise agent is trying to get the situation clarified.

You should be OK as your visit to Cuba was prior to 12 January 2021 when Cuba was designated as a State Sponsor of Terrorism by the US Government. The ban on visa free travel to the USA was if you visited Cuba after that date.

FYI If you or your agent have tried to contact the embassy for information then they won't reply if they deem that the information you require has been published somewhere on their website!

Edited by bishop84

3 hours ago, bishop84 said:

You should be OK as your visit to Cuba was prior to 12 January 2021 when Cuba was designated as a State Sponsor of Terrorism by the US Government. The ban on visa free travel to the USA was if you visited Cuba after that date.

FYI If you or your agent have tried to contact the embassy for information then they won't reply if they deem that the information you require has been published somewhere on their website!

It is quite a confusing issue.  The US State department and also the US Embassy in Paris, (for instance) are of the same opinion as you - that the important date is 12th Jan 2021.  However it seems the UK based US embassy is of the opinion it applies to anyone who travelled to Cuba since a certain date in 2011!

Our agents say they are having great problems with it at present.  Whilst the situation will hopefully be clarified before our September trip, the agents book a lot of P&O cruises and Ventura heads to a few ports in the US and the Caribbean in March and the wait for visa appts is 90 days at present.  I assume the stance of the US Embassy in London is probably preventing people affected applying for an ESTA, or affecting the decision of airlines/cruise lines from accepting ESTAs from affected people as being suitable for US entry.  The agents sent us an email about a month ago saying they had received notification by the US State dept that the effective date is in 2021, but seems they have not convinced their UK based embassy of that!

Certainly as things stand anyone visiting Cuba now and subsequently wanting to go to the US will need full visas, unless the whole rule is changed.  I understand Trump put travel to Cuba on the potential terrorist list just before he left office, so possibly the current administration could change it, but not sure if they will bother.

Edited by tring

14 minutes ago, tring said:

It is quite a confusing issue.  The US State department and also the US Embassy in Paris, (for instance) are of the same opinion as you - that the important date is 12th Jan 2021.  However it seems the UK based US embassy is of the opinion it applies to anyone who travelled to Cuba since a certain date in 2011!

Our agents say they are having great problems with it at present.  Whilst the situation will hopefully be clarified before our September trip, the agents book a lot of P&O cruises and Ventura heads to a few ports in the US and the Caribbean in March and the wait for visa appts is 90 days at present.  I assume the stance of the US Embassy in London is probably preventing people affected applying for an ESTA, or affecting the decision of airlines/cruise lines from accepting ESTAs from affected people as being suitable for US entry.  The agents sent us an email about a month ago saying they had received notification by the US State dept that the effective date is in 2021, but seems they have not convinced their UK based embassy of that!

Certainly as things stand anyone visiting Cuba now and subsequently wanting to go to the US will need full visas, unless the whole rule is changed.  I understand Trump put travel to Cuba on the potential terrorist list just before he left office, so possibly the current administration could change it, but not sure if they will bother.

Sounds very confusing if different embassies have differing interpretations of the rules! 

I applied for and got an ESTA last year despite having previously declared I had visited Cuba in 2017 when I applied for a US work visa application. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am booked on a Marella cruise visiting Cuba in February 2024. I had no idea about the impact this would have on subsequent visits to the US - ie the need for a visa. Can anyone confirm if you get your passport stamped by border control or do they only stamp your visitor card?

Also, even if you don't get a stamp is there any way of finding out you have been?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but we were planning a visit to the US later in the year as part of our retirement and I am concerned.

AFAIK if you want to travel to the USA as long as you didn't visit Cuba after 12 January 2021 then you can get an ESTA. If you visited Cuba after the 12 January 2021 then you will need a B2 Tourist Visa.

Information from the official USA Customs an Border Protection webpage:

"The U.S. Department of State designated Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism (SST) on January 12, 2021.With limited exceptions, a traveler who is found to have visited Cuba on or after this date is not eligible for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) using an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) and must apply for a visa to travel to the United States. Additionally, a traveler who at the time of application for an ESTA holds dual nationality with both a VWP country and Cuba is not eligible for travel under the VWP using an ESTA and must apply for a visa to travel to the United States.

If an ESTA has already been approved and it is later determined that the traveler has been present in Cuba or holds dual nationality with both a VWP country and Cuba, the ESTA will be revoked. Ineligibility for an ESTA is not a bar to travel to the United States. Individuals who are not eligible to travel under the VWP may apply for a visa at any U.S. embassy or consulate."

Link to the webpage Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act Frequently Asked Questions | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

The UK Government Travel advice website also refers to the January 12 2021 date. Entry requirements - USA travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)