Digital Cameras and Airport Xray machines

No, it shouldn't affect the digital camera memory cards at all. I have asked that question before at airport security and they always assure me that the cameras are fine.

Someone mentioned to me once that unexposed film can have a problem in an xray machine. But not the digitals.

So if I have those disposable cameras should I take them OUT of carry on when boarding ship each time? Will those be affected by the xrays? I normally dont have those type cameras and will have 6 on cruise this time, so just want to make sure I do the right thing.

So if I have those disposable cameras should I take them OUT of carry on when boarding ship each time? Will those be affected by the xrays? I normally dont have those type cameras and will have 6 on cruise this time, so just want to make sure I do the right thing.

I looked around and this is the info I found...

Airport Baggage Scanning Equipment Can Jeopardize Your Unprocessed Film

Because your pictures are important to you, this information is presented as an alert to travelers carrying unprocessed film. New FAA-certified (Federal Aviation Administration) explosive detection systems are being used in U.S. airports to scan (x-ray) checked baggage. This stronger scanning equipment is also being used in many non-US airports. The new equipment will fog any unprocessed film that passes through the scanner.

The recommendations in this document are valid for all film formats (135, Advanced Photo System [APS], 120/220, sheet films, 400 ft. rolls, ECN in cans, etc.).

Note: X rays from airport scanners don't affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, i.e. film from which you have received prints, slides, KODAK PHOTO CD Discs, or KODAK Picture CDs.

yellow.gif

Suggestions for Avoiding Fogged Film

X-ray equipment used to inspect carry-on baggage uses a very low level of x-radiation that will not cause noticeable damage to most films. However, baggage that is checked (loaded on the planes as cargo) often goes through equipment with higher energy X rays. Therefore, take these precautions when traveling with unprocessed film:

Don't place single-use cameras or unprocessed film in any luggage or baggage that will be checked. This includes cameras that still have film in them.

If an attendant or security personnel informs you that your carry-on baggage must be stowed with the checked luggage or go through a second scan, remove your unprocessed film.

Have your exposed film processed locally before passing through airport security on your return trip.

If you're going to be traveling through multiple X-ray examinations (more than 5 times), request a hand search of your carry-on baggage. FAA regulations in the U.S. allow for a hand search of photographic film and equipment if requested. (See below for further FAA information.) However, non-US airports may not honor this request.

Request a hand inspection for all motion imaging origination films. Testing shows fog on motion imaging films even after a single X-ray scan. This increased fog flattens the entire toe region of the sensitometric curve reducing shadow detail in a telecine or projected image. However, Explosive Trace Detection instruments provide no risk to motion picture films and can be used in conjunction with hand inspection to provide a non-destructive method of motion film inspection.

If you're asked to step aside for a more thorough scan of your carry-on baggage, the film could be harmed if they use the more intense X-ray equipment.You should take your unprocessed film out of your luggage.

Lead-lined bags, available from photo retailers, will weaken the X-radiation on film and reduce potential harm. However, the effectiveness of any particular lead bag depends on the intensity and electric potential of the X-ray generator, the lead's thickness, and the film speed. If you use a lead bag, check with the manufacturer for the effectiveness of their products with airport X-ray devices. The inspection process may be triggered by a lead bag on the scanner screen. In a typical airport surveillance situation, the baggage may be pulled aside for additional inspection.

Consider shipping unprocessed, unexposed or exposed film through an expedited carrier, but first check with the carrier to determine what package examination procedures they are using.

Be polite, helpful and patient. Please remember that security personnel are trying to protect the traveling public.

I always ask for hand check of my cameras...yes, they will make you open any single-use camera packages and they look thru the viewfinder to make sure its a camera....I now remove all packaging material befor I leave the house...and I put all my film and cameras in a separate bag until I get thru security..that way I can hand them the bag with the cameras/film and wait while they check them..then put the cameras/film in my carry on...just saves you time digging them out at the check point.

Just had a class on digital cameras, the question about digital cards came up. The guy giving the class is a professional photographer, he told us that the cards do fine through airport security (checked or carry-on.)

HOWEVER, he did warn us that cards have a problem with some of the new security that the post office is using. They evidently electronically "mess-up" a card. He suggested using one of the private delivery companies (Fed-ex, UPS, etc.)

OTC,

Im no expert, but I believe at the airport it says something like 'film under 1000 speed' is fine. I believe most disposable's are well below that. The underwater camera's are higher at like 800 speed or so. You should be fine just leaving it in your carry on.

OTC,

Im no expert, but I believe at the airport it says something like 'film under 1000 speed' is fine. I believe most disposable's are well below that. The underwater camera's are higher at like 800 speed or so. You should be fine just leaving it in your carry on.

My DW always travels with a 35mm camera and film. The last cruise we took we asked the screener about the film. He told us never to put it in the checked luggage. The xray machines they go through are much stronger and will distroy any film you take. The ones used for the carry ons will not hurt any film that is 100 through 1000 speed.To save time at the screeners take your film out of the canisters and put the film and canisters seperatly in a zip lock bag. It will save time having to take all of them out while they are screening your bags.

Archived