Travelers cheques

lionheart

I would also be interested to know if anyone has experience with traveler's checks in Europe. We are doing a Med crusie this summer, Italy and Greece. I read somewhere that they can be diffucult to cash onshore. IF we choose to carry them should they be in Euros or dollars. Any insight would be very helpful.

I travel regularly throughout Europe and wouldn't think of bothering with travelers checks. Travelers checks are really frowned upon. With local ATM machines, preloaded travel cards in small denominations (they are like Visa and Amex gift cards) and credit cards, there is really no one that wants to accept travelers checks.

Also, you will find that the exchange rates in most bank ATMs is better than anthing offered by the ship or exchange facilities.

I reviewed the list of countries you are going to and the ones that take the Euro. Looks like you might need a mix of Euro and whatever they will accept in Sweden, Norway, Russia and Estonia.

I would ABSOLUTELY get Euro travelers cheques before you go. Not too many that you'll be left with money, but enough to avoid ATM fees wherever you go. As for ATMs, see what your bank charges for ATMs that are not their own. European banks (can't speak for Russia) don't charge for non-customers on their 'side' of the transaction, I think its against the law.

I would also look into your credit cards, and see if any of them have a NO CONVERSION FEE. This is generally a 3% fee that is charged by your US Credit Card when you purchase something overseas. I found out that Chase is the best for this. Not all of their cards, but call or look online.

You can get Euro travelers cheques at most 'major' banks, like Wells Fargo or the like, but don't buy them too early, as the Euro/$$ keeps fluctuating.

Hope this helps.

ps- I believe the ships will give you currency from Euro or Dollar travellers checks in the same currency, but I think they only 'exchange' them from one currency to another with a fee.

We did a Transatlantic that started from Rome 2 years ago. Whenever we needed some local currency we just went and used the ATM at the bank. We had no problems getting cash and the worst case we were charged $1.25 for a transaction fee. There was no hassle of paying high exchange fees and this worked in Italy, Villefranche, and Portugal. Most of the tour operators we dealt with wanted local currency. For most purchases we used our credit card. We usually only need US dollars to pay the tips to the cabin attendant, waiter, and ass't waiter. Hope this helps.;)

In America whenever we travel we use travelers checks, but our DD who spent 2 years in Poland informed us before we visited her, many places in Europe do not take them anymore. I am sure the ship would cash them if you really want to bring some: best way to get local currency, according to DD is from an ATM. NMnita

I brought Euro T.C.'s on our med cruise and exchanged them for Euro cash onboard Millennium (no fee to do this.)

However, the exchange rate for buying Euros here, in either T.C.'s or cash, is higher than obtaining Euros from an ATM in Europe. Next time, I'll just bring a small amount of Euros to get started with and get the remainder from ATM's in port.

The comment above about U.S. $ being accepted anywhere might be true, but a very poor exchange rate will go along with it.

Archived