So I have a 9-9:30 am check-in. Is that good?

Sigyn

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

Does it really matter what boarding time you get?

my wife and I had to get 2 separate rooms our boarding times are 9:30 and the adult kids are 11:30 and 12:30. I was planning on getting there at 9:30 we sail out of Port Canaveral.

I have heard it matters what time you get on the ship so that you can book reservations for entertainment venues on the Prima.

We have sailed Haven many times out of New York. We get to the terminal at 9:30.  Must taxis are old hand at this but there a re good signs. Drop checked luggage with the porters ( tip). The Porters are very helpful. There is a separate Haven security line. BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK REPEATEDLY. The Haven lounge is on the left side half the way down the terminal. A lady with a clipboard will be out front near the sign. Haven will board around 11 maybe earlier ( once at 10:30). But you will be comfortable, snacks, mini sandwiches, danish, coffee, water and  chairs. Your will get a list of the shows with times and while you wait you can fill out your preferences and hand it in. You will find your confirmation in your suite after lunch. You are taken in a priority elevator to your muster station, then whisked back into the elevator to the Haven lounge where you will be given drinks and a little intro by the concierge then right into a delicious lunch. After lunch the rooms will be ready. It's all great.

1 hour ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We have sailed Haven many times out of New York. We get to the terminal at 9:30.  Must taxis are old hand at this but there a re good signs. Drop checked luggage with the porters ( tip). The Porters are very helpful. There is a separate Haven security line. BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK REPEATEDLY. The Haven lounge is on the left side half the way down the terminal. A lady with a clipboard will be out front near the sign. Haven will board around 11 maybe earlier ( once at 10:30). But you will be comfortable, snacks, mini sandwiches, danish, coffee, water and  chairs. Your will get a list of the shows with times and while you wait you can fill out your preferences and hand it in. You will find your confirmation in your suite after lunch. You are taken in a priority elevator to your muster station, then whisked back into the elevator to the Haven lounge where you will be given drinks and a little intro by the concierge then right into a delicious lunch. After lunch the rooms will be ready. It's all great.

I cruise out of New York all the time and I am one of those people who doesn't arrive until noon or later.  I can't stand crowds, and even though I cruise Haven I just can't deal with the throngs of people in the terminal and the chaotic energy.

Today I am very happy I am one of those people because at 9:35 a.m. I received a text from NCL saying that the Getaway is delayed and check-in won't be until 2 to 6 PM.  I changed my car service pick up from 11:30 to 4:30 and I'm about to enjoy a relaxing day at home.  I feel sorry for the early birdies at the pier who are going to have a looooonnng wait. 😲

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zzdoug said:

We are staying in a standard balcony without any special status.  We would like to see all the shows and get reservations for the Bistro and maybe the seafood restaurant or the steakhouse at a reasonable hour.  However, I don't think we will be able to board before noon or later. Will everything be booked out before we get on board?  Are there any hacks we can exploit? Can our travel agent help?

Thanks. 

You can call NCL (or have your TA do it) and book your Le Bistro or any other specialty restaurant at the 120 day mark. As far as entertainment, go to the kiosks by the elevator or the box office and book as soon as you board for the big shows. You didn't specify which ship but the smaller venues can't be prebooked. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You can call NCL (or have your TA do it) and book your Le Bistro or any other specialty restaurant at the 120 day mark. As far as entertainment, go to the kiosks by the elevator or the box office and book as soon as you board for the big shows. You didn't specify which ship but the smaller venues can't be prebooked. 

Thanks. We will sail ncl escape out of Miami, 4/30/23. Any other tips are welcome. Cheers!

36 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You can also book specialty restaurants through the NCL website at the 120 day mark. I'm a huge opponent of making phone calls, so do anything I possibly can through the internet. Or...just ask my husband to do it since he enjoys talking. 🙂

42 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You can also book specialty restaurants through the NCL website at the 120 day mark. I'm a huge opponent of making phone calls, so do anything I possibly can through the internet. Or...just ask my husband to do it since he enjoys talking. 🙂

Thanks, good to know. I had been under the impression this was only an option for status cruisers (haven etc).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

I have heard it matters what time you get on the ship so that you can book reservations for entertainment venues on the Prima.

No one gets on the ship until they start boarding which may be as late as 1100 or 1200.  They do board by group numbers so being there early may be a slight advantage.  The question is, do you want to wait in the terminal for a couple of hours?

21 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I’m so excited to cruise that I don’t mind waiting to board ( all checked in and done with security) just in case there’s a mud slide or flat tire on the way to the pier we leave super early ( yes I know I’m crazy)

You can argue it both ways.

We had a terrible experience in NOLA last March.

The waiting area was full.  Security stopped processing passengers.

We stood in line for signifcantly over an hour before the line started moving again.

Since we cruising NOLA again this March and because we do not want to stand in line, we're planning on delaying our arrival at the port until 1200.  

We don't go to the shows and our dining reservations are made.

Just no reason to be there too early.

Any other port, we might reconsider.

Edited by RocketMan275

57 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I’ve never cruised out of NOLA and  in recent years just NY and Miami. We’ve never had a problem especially when we’re in the Haven. So I guess you have to adapt to the circumstances.

That's why I specifically identified this as a NOLA problem.  Arriving early only has it's advantages at some ports.

We've never had such a problem at other ports, FLL, Vancouver, Galveston, etc.  NOLA has a bad reputation.  Another thing, NOLA was still enforcing COVID restrictions that were enforced on the ship or any other port.  Every 15 minutes some functionary would come by correcting the wear of masks.  Of course, the corrections were ignored as soon as that functionary left.  They also had three differenc checkpoints along the line. At each point we had to dig out our passports, our COVID results, our vaccination cards.  Not a good experience.