Where to find Iceland ports info on CC?

BluebonnetTexan

We are on the Viking Iconic Canada, Greenland and Iceland itinerary next August. I can’t seem to find Iceland in the Ports of Call forum here on CC for general research and feedback. Am I overlooking it or do I just need to read through all the roll calls for info? I know there was a lot of good info during the Welcome Back cruises, but those also had lots of restrictions which are now gone. I was also hoping to find info broader than the Viking forum. 

It appears that your cruise is ending in Reykjavik so I would suggest spending an additional week in Iceland with a rental car. That is what we did on our July "Welcome Back" cruise last year. You will be circumnavigating Iceland so will see a good portion of Iceland but that will still leave plenty of areas unseen.

I would recommend driving the Snaefellsnes Peninsula with perhaps a hotel in Stykkisholmur. Also to then drive up into the Westfjords for a few days. Around every corner was a "picture postcard." I rented a Dacia Duster from "Blue Car Rental" in downtown Reykjavik and returned it at the airport. Recommended. It was the perfect car for two of us and luggage.

Hopefully VO has their act together for excursions by now. There were many issues in 2021.

No need to trawl through many Roll Calls or multiple back paging if you use the CC SEARCH facilty, the easiest and fastest way to find all previous threads which mention your port calls.    If you do not know how to use the SEARCH facilty,,

Go to the relevant forum for your port of call or country, but I suggest you use the names of ports rather than the names of countries for more results.  As an example go to Northern Europe forum but not to any specific thread. Log in.  Under your user name there will be an empty box.  Insert the name of ONE of your ports in that geographic area, then choose ON THIS FORUM from the drop down next to where you inserted the name.  Hit the little magnify8ing glass and all previous threads containing that word will sappear ready for you to read.  Do that for each port in turn, enduring you are on the forum for that geographic area.Ggreenlandic and icelandic ports will be on the same N. Europe forum, Canada on the Canada/New England forum.

As there are fewer threads about Greenland, i would suggest you search twice, once with each  port name in turn  AND once again with the word  Greenland.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

As there are fewer threads about Greenland, i would suggest you search twice, once with each  port name in turn  AND once again with the word  Greenland.

You’ve given good advice, but I would really do the same thing for Iceland. I think reading in general about a destination, especially one where you have never been, helps gives you a good feel for the country, experiences, information you might not have thought to ask about, etc., beyond the specific information as to each port. 

Obviously, I would not suggest this for an enormous country like the United States, but it’s a doable search for Iceland. And the OP can easily choose not to read a specific thread that seems to have no relevance to them.

Just my suggestion.😊

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

No need to trawl through many Roll Calls or multiple back paging if you use the CC SEARCH facilty, the easiest and fastest way to find all previous threads which mention your port calls.    If you do not know how to use the SEARCH facilty,,

Go to the relevant forum for your port of call or country, but I suggest you use the names of ports rather than the names of countries for more results.  As an example go to Northern Europe forum but not to any specific thread. Log in.  Under your user name there will be an empty box.  Insert the name of ONE of your ports in that geographic area, then choose ON THIS FORUM from the drop down next to where you inserted the name.  Hit the little magnify8ing glass and all previous threads containing that word will sappear ready for you to read.  Do that for each port in turn, enduring you are on the forum for that geographic area.Ggreenlandic and icelandic ports will be on the same N. Europe forum, Canada on the Canada/New England forum.

😂 This exhausts me just reading it! We buy guidebooks.😄

Good luck to the OP—all good advice here but I’ve found it hard to find things by searching in CC. Not to take away from what the OP wants to do, but there are a lot easier places to find travel info on the net. Besides the guidebooks, we also use TripAdvisor.

• Like 3

I can’t seem to find Iceland in the Ports of Call forum here on CC for general research and feedback

Thanks for adding to comments above, but the OP asked this specific question and I was giving a specific reply, explaining how to find previous threads and feedback as requested.

It is actually a really quick and easy way to find them and you don't even need to be logged in.  That instruction to log in was the easiest way to explain where to find the relevant search box as the OP didn't seem to know how to search  and it works perfectly every time  if done correctly.  Should take less than one minute from starting  to seeing the results.

LINDAS272  you said-  but I’ve found it hard to find things by searching in CC.

You must be doing something wrong. Try the method suggested above.and you won't go wrong again. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bluebonnettexan,  Some of us try to give helpful information but not everyone agrees that what has been given is informative enough, so, in addition to answering what appeared to be your fairly simple question,, and despite not being asked to do so,  it appears i was remiss in not advising you on the many other ways to research your destinations excluding here on CC, including guidebooks, Tripadvisor, local Tourist Information websites, Rick Steves, Fromer's,YouTube and all the other websites out there  just waiting for  you to find them when you internet search"(name of port/town/city) Tourist information". Also look at your cruiselines shorex even if not wanting to buy as they can indicate highlights and main points of interest and what might be possible in the time you have in a particular port. For anything  which interests you, you can then  research if there is an alternative way instead of booking a shorex.

And some Forums have really helpful  "stickies" at the top of the main page for Qs and As for some of the most FAQS on certain locations.  EG Santorini/Oia etc at the top of the Greece Forums and NORWEGIAN  FJORDS on the N. Europe/Baltic Forum.

And if you have not already thought of it yourself,, do search the word ICELAND in addition to the names of your individual Icelandic  ports as Turtles06 has helpfully suggested.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for their many varied and detailed suggestions! I didn’t mean to imply in my original question that CC was my only source for research. It was more that I was puzzled about where the Iceland port info was located as I obviously overlooked it. I did do a general search and all I was seeing was Roll Calls with Iceland ports and didn’t really want to trawl through those. 

And, yes, more info is always better IMO, even if the OP may not need it, someone else reading this thread later may find it useful. 

We are definitely considering staying at least a couple of days after arriving in Reykjavik, thus this more generic phase of my research to determine what else we really need to see in that area (Golden Circle, etc.) and how long we should stretch our stay. 

5 minutes ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

We are definitely considering staying at least a couple of days after arriving in Reykjavik, thus this more generic phase of my research to determine what else we really need to see in that area (Golden Circle, etc.) and how long we should stretch our stay. 

I strongly recommend a South Coast tour from Reykjavik. Beautifully stunning from start to finish.  

24 minutes ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

Thanks! I knew it was there somewhere. Thought I checked that one, but guess I overlooked it!

It is indeed sometimes hard to find a specific port of call forum, especially given that CC in some cases seems to be geographically challenged.  For instance, if you are looking for info on Madeira, which of course is an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, you probably aren't likely to look in the "Other Mediterranean Ports" forum, but that's where it is.

Some years ago, before our first Panama Canal cruise, I looked all over CC trying to find info on Costa Rica, as we were going to be docking in Puntarenas, on the Pacific coast.  I couldn't find any info.  And that's because, as I later learned, CC has Costa Rica in a Caribbean sub-forum, even though much of Costa Rica borders on the Pacific, and Puntarenas is a commonly-visited port on Panama Canal cruises.

if you are looking for info on Madeira, which of course is an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, you probably aren't likely to look in the "Other Mediterranean Ports" forum, but that's where it is.

It is possibly there because Madeira is Portuguese and that is where Portugal is to be found despite Portugal also being on the Atlantic Coast and not on the Med.........

And that same forum is also where ports in countries such as Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Slovakia and Slovenia are to be found, despite them being located on the Adriatic and not on  the Med either.

On the other hand, just imagine how many additional sub forums would be needed were they all to be in separate geographical  forums. Probably easier they way they are as most CCers will be familar with the current set up.

Edited by edinburgher

but just imagine if they had a better search engine! 😄🤷‍♀️

Sorry but I have no clue who the "they" is that  you are referring to.  But if it is CC, why would they need a search engine like Google, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo or any of the other well known search engines used to search the WWW?

i am not at all tech savvy but do you mean that an alternative description of a "search engine" is  the method used to search  the forums in the manner described above?

Edited by edinburgher

LindaS272  

Sorry to be cynical, but just imagine if they had a better search engine! 😄🤷‍♀️

As not tech savvy, it is difficult to know where you are going wrong as the above method also works on non geographic forums.

As an experiment, a few minutes ago I exited this THREAD  but remained on the Viking Ocean FORUM.

Entered the word LAUNDRY into the search box and hit the magnifying glass. Less than 10 seconds later 303 results appeared. These were Viking Ocean threads where the word laundry appeared.

Tried again, this time using the word WINE and 899 results appeared within seconds, this time, where the word wine appeared in Viking Ocean threads.  (is this a reflection of VO passenger interests??!!

Can only suggest two options which may help you resolve your issues.

Contact the CC tech  department  for assistance or

Perhaps it relates  to the settings on your device?

I would not know anything  about the latter.  We used to have a resident in-house tech expert until he moved away some time ago,(!) leaving us struggling at times.

Perhaps once your issue is resolved you would be gracious enough to  report back on this thread, as others may have had similar issues  with this fast and easy search option and would be interested to know how it was resolved.

Good luck.

Edited by edinburgher

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The place to go for discussions of technical issues and problems is the aptly named Need Help? forum, where in fact there are many discussions of how to use the CC search engine.

Perhaps you could point the OP to those discussions….? I’m not trying to use the search engine—I was just passing by.