You’ve unlocked early access to our best deal of 2023....

McGarrett5oh

We enjoyed our Virgin cruise so much in November, we put down a deposit on a future cruise to take sometime in the next 2 years with the offer at the time ($300 fare discount & $600 on board credit).

Received this email yesterday which, as I read it, suggests that there is an offer we can use with our deposit that would give us 60% off the 2nd sailor and an up to an additional $600 bar tab.  Since we don't know when we want to cruise, I followed the instructions and called Virgin "Sailor Services".  The rep really didn't know what this was, didn't have any information and suggested that it may be just a marketing effort to have us put down ANOTHER deposit.  

Anyone have any idea what they are trying to say?  TIA

1371490810_VirginOffer.thumb.jpg.43c4f5647353e1709bf2307fda5a4ef0.jpg

This is probably the promo that was mentioned in my thread here: 

I didn't receive an email about it (hence, the post), but I believe they just want you to go ahead and book one of your future voyages you have already put a deposit down for, and it will apply. 60% is probably not off sailors in suite categories, as our cabin price didn't change - just the $300 bar tab was thrown in.

Edited by jj1814

Supposedly, it isn't 60% off, but 30% off first sailor and 30% off second sailor.  It will open to everyone on Tuesday, Dec. 12.  My "First Mate" said there has been a very slight price increase on some bookings but more than offset with the bar tab.  In any event, I'll get a quote to see whether it is worth canceling and rebooking.

15 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Since we don't know when we want to cruise, I followed the instructions and called Virgin "Sailor Services".  The rep really didn't know what this was, didn't have any information and suggested that it may be just a marketing effort to have us put down ANOTHER deposit.  

This is for booking a new cruise, not putting a deposit down for a future cruise. There will be a window of opportunity to book a new cruise with up to 60% off the second Sailor and as your note says, up to two Bar Tabs included per cabin. 

11 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Supposedly, it isn't 60% off, but 30% off first sailor and 30% off second sailor.  It will open to everyone on Tuesday, Dec. 

That is 60% off, but in the booking engine it will show the 30/30 split for each Sailor. This is exactly what happened with NCL when they changed their marketing from "50% off your cruise" to "One Guest Free."  In the booking engine it still shows 50% off both guests which equals one guest free. The marketing says one thing, the booking engines sometimes show different things, but they all equal up to the same thing. 

Some First Mates are also offering $100-$400 Sailor Loot for a limited time that can be combined with the deal mentioned in the OP. 

Edited by WheresWalter

Thanks for the replies.  Makes sense that they give previous cruisers a "heads up" for the next promotion.   When I called, they said the current promotion is "BOGO 50% off", which translated is really 50% off each of 2 in a cabin.  Sounds like the next promotion might only be 30% off each plus up to $600.  

It was just more confusing than perhaps it had to be!?   Cheers!

Just now, McGarrett5oh said:

Just being a little cheeky as they normally are. They have so many specials going on at any given time, it can be difficult for us to keep up with. But I have to say I love most everything about this cruise line. One they fix the ordering system in The Galley and replace that Net in the back with a pool, it'll be the perfect cruise line. 🙂 

51 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

One they fix the ordering system in The Galley and replace that Net in the back with a pool, it'll be the perfect cruise line. 🙂 

I heard you comment on this before and I looked at that when we are on board.  If they can figure out how to retrofit a pool into that space, what with the way Deck 16 hangs over the ship, that will be miraculous. 

We found the ordering system in The Galley to be fixed when we were on board mid November 22.  It's basically become waiter service which we found to be very efficient.  Order taken by a crew member on their device and food comes out to your exact location (inside or out on Deck 7) shortly after.

4 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

I'm that person who looks at the new offers as they come out to determine whether it is worth a cancel and rebook.  So far, I haven't found anything that varied more than $135, no matter how they are doing the actual dollar calculations.  What I have seen is a bit of difference in the perks--some have more Loot, some bar tab.  But yes, their calculations can be difficult.  In any event, I'll check on Tuesday and see what the new deal will be and whether it is worth changing.

22 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

I heard you comment on this before and I looked at that when we are on board.  If they can figure out how to retrofit a pool into that space, what with the way Deck 16 hangs over the ship, that will be miraculous. 

We found the ordering system in The Galley to be fixed when we were on board mid November 22.  It's basically become waiter service which we found to be very efficient.  Order taken by a crew member on their device and food comes out to your exact location (inside or out on Deck 7) shortly after.

They just need to look at The Haven on the new NCL Prima. It's the exact setup they could have in the pool area if they can engineer it. 

As for The Galley, during the morning of Puerto Plata, it took nearly 20 minutes just to flag down a server and it never happened. The assistant at Let's Taco Bout it saw that we could not get anyone to stop and take our order. They kept saying 'we'll be right back' but never returned. So he walked over and started taking our order. THEN a server stopped when they saw him taking our order. Like others on here, our food did not even remotely come out at the same time. Let the Sailors place the order via the app and let the servers deliver it if they must, or we can just go get the food. If you're going to run a 'food hall' then run a food hall. Every food hall I have ever visited we place the order and we go back and get it or the server brings it to us based on table number. 

VV is trying to run a food hall as a restaurant and it's making it harder and less efficient than it needs to be. Again, NCL Prima's food hall has taken the right approach to the ordering. 

Edited by WheresWalter

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I'm that person who looks at the new offers as they come out to determine whether it is worth a cancel and rebook.  So far, I haven't found anything that varied more than $135, no matter how they are doing the actual dollar calculations.  What I have seen is a bit of difference in the perks--some have more Loot, some bar tab.  But yes, their calculations can be difficult.  In any event, I'll check on Tuesday and see what the new deal will be and whether it is worth changing.

Just depends on how long of a cruise you're taking and whether the Bar Tab is important. The new deal breaks down like this starting Dec 13

60% off second Sailor

$100 Bar Tab bonus when purchased

Any 4/5/6-night sailing booked will include 1 free Bar Tab per cabin

Any 7+ sailing booking will include 2 free Bar Tabs per cabin

And if you book with an agent who recently held a live Virtual Event with VV, you will get an added

$100 in Sailor Loot for an Insider per cabin

$200 in Sailor Loot for a Sea View/Sea Terrace per cabin

$400 in Sailor Loot for Rockstar Quarters per cabin

That Sailor Loot added special runs for a week after the virtual event and only through the travel agents who held the event. That's not available through the website or all TAs.

Edited by WheresWalter
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Thanks for the info!

Does the additional loot count if you are booking with a previously made rebooking while on board (and your first mate qualifies) or only if you are a new booking with the appropriate first mate?

New bookings only, and the offer is only good for 7 days after the virtual cruise event that was hosted by the specific travel agent. I.e., you can't make the booking onboard with VV and then transfer that booking to a TA. It has to be a new booking directly with the TA for the Sailor Loot. 

Edited by WheresWalter
  • Like 2