Packing for kids on 15 day cruise - Help!

I"m looking for advice on packing for kids (girls - 6, 10, 12) for a 15 night cruise (Radiance - October Panama Canal). If you have experience taking kids on a longer voyage, do you have some practical advice on what we need to pack? How many pants, shirts, sweaters, dress clothes (dinner attire)?? My very practical (minimalistic) husband says 3 pants, 6 shirts, 1 sweatshirt and a couple of dresses should do it. I can't imagine that working for 15 days, but maybe I'm wrong.

Your experienced input is appreciated. They can't share clothes (sizes and fits are too different) and there is no coin laundry. Ship laundr is an option, but that can add up for 5 people.

Thank you for your help.

Laura

We did 14 day Panama Canal with a 9 and 13 year old. We used a ton of Febreeze and did ALOT of re-wearing Everything we pack are solid color. Everything must be interchangable. We washed some things in the sink and they would dry very quickly in the hot sun of Panama. Daughter had one pair of nice shoes for the dining room. She also brought a white cardigan that was covered in sequins and looked a bit fancy. She would wear this to the dining room on the nights she was wearing capri pants and a solid top just to dress it up a bit. For formal nights she had a black long skirt with two different fancy tops. She rewore the first one again for the 3rd formal night.

Consider packing for five or six days, rewear items as able, and send out all washables to the ship's laundry mid-cruise. It will be well-worth it. (I would not enjoy spending much time on my vacation hand-washing for a family of your size.)

Don't overpack, as sea days will be spent primarily in swimsuits and cover-ups, and port days usually involve shorts and a top.

If you have a balcony cabin, bring clothespins to fix your wet swimsuits to the deckchairs to facilitate drying.

I seriously couldn't do that. We had 8 pieces of luggage for the last cruise we were on (2 adults, 2 kids)

I literally multiply everything by the number of days. So for my girls I would pack 15 shirts, probably 5 or 6 pairs of shorts to match those shirts. 15 dresses. 5 or 6 pairs of PJ's. And so on.

I don't want to worry about laundry on a cruise ship.

That's awesome that you are going with your kids on a 15 day cruise. Enjoy!!!!!!

We have done it a few times now, Serenade for 16 days, and 12 Days on Jewel last fall with two days in Boston before hand. We have two boys so mabe that would be easier than girls I don't know. Sea days you only need bathing suits and shorts, they never seem to keep there dress clothes on after dinner. We did do Voyager and Majesty back to back with a day brake in between and did do some laundry. I don't think you are going to be at a stop where you could go to a laundry mat. Just bring lots of socks and underwear and wear everything a couple of days.

Brian J

Thank you all for your response. It sounds like most recommend bringing fewer things rather than more. When it comes to dragging luggage around, fewer would be better. I wasn't sure if the same shorts/shirts in the hot sun may begin to "ripen" after a few days. I was almost as concerned with the accumulated smell in the room as seeing the same clothes over and over. But we'll budget for the ship laundry service and not worry about it. More room for buying things on shore.

Again, thank you for your advice. The kids are excited to try their first cruise.

Laura

We are just back from Mariner of the Seas, 7 days, with 4 kids. we had 10 large pieces of luggage and I would do it again! Bring Large Magnetic Steel Clips. The walls and ceiling of the cabin are magnetic and these heavy duty clips are perfect for hanging kids damp bathing suits or PJs or Tshirts. Its a quick way to keep clothes off the floor and from getting wrinkled quickly. Our walls were decorated with them. Also pack extra wire hangers, buy a bundle or two at Walmart. Anything to keep clothes off the floor. Tide stain sticks work great. Have a great time! happy cruising!

I see that my hubby already got to answering this one.

He is right you need 15 pairs of underwear each and for us this is the biggest challenge as they take so much room in your suitcase but others on these boards made a great recommendation on this. Bring some on your "old" underwear and when the day is over simply throw them away. This leaves room at the end of the cruise for bringing back souvenirs. I have to say though that we have never done. We always go out and buy new undies for cruises;)

But no matter how long our cruises are the rule is one bag each plus one garment bag and generally one carry on (small) on the way down and two or three on the way (with our souvenirs in them).

Believe it or not we generally have those bags stuffed but only wear about half what we pack. So you would think that after all the cruises we have done that we would just pack that half....no no you always fear that you won't have enough.

The other thing that poses a problem is shoes. So here's what we do:

1 pair of water shoes each

We wear our one pair of sneakers each because they take the most room

1 pair of dress shoes each for the guys

2 pair of dress shoes for me

1 pair of sandals for me

Sometimes we have had sandals for the boys as well. They are teenagers now though so sandals haven't been cool lately.

Our garment bag has pockets on the outside and this is where the shoes go. It's amazing really. We always look and laugh at those folks who have 8 or ten bags and there is only two or three of them :eek:

Here's the other rule of thumb. Put out everything you want to take on the bed (it will never fit in your case) and then take half of it away and you'll be about right.

Anyway, whatever you decide enjoy!

I did not know the magnetic hooks would stick to the walls in the staterooms. That's great. Any other space saving tips for the journey?

The kids will be in their own room along with their 2 older cousins (they have the Family Oceanview for the 5 of them) and the adults are in balconies a couple of doors down. Keeping 5 girls organized in one room (and 1 bathroom) will be tricky. Luckily, the 6 year old doesnt need much primping time.

I've heard of shoe organizers, extra hangers, ziplock bags and bringing extra rubber bands (you just never know what needs holding together). We're also bringing walkie talkies. Anything else we'll not want to live without?

Couple more questions for those who have been on longer trips with younger kids:

* Are the kids clubs good at keeping the activities fresh over a longer cruise? Do they repeat many activities (is it the 7-day list of things to do run thru twice)??

* I read where the science and arts/crafts are designed with the cruise ports (local culture) in mind - is that true?

* There's a kids pool with a little waterslide on the Radiance - any idea what the age range for the water slide (or height/weight range)?

* Can you authorize multiple people to be able to pick up the kids from the kids club (grandparents, aunts, etc)? or does it have to be mom or dad?

Again, thank you for your sage advice.

Laura

You can have multiple people pick up the kids. The activites in the kids club will be determined by how many kids are on board. They will combine age groups if the number is low. On our Panama Canal the groups were 3-6, 7-12, 13-18. They did have a set program each day but with such few children they kind of let them have a say in what went on. The only day that had activies that coordinated with the port of call was during the transcanal. The captain came to kids club (since he does not control the ship that day) and did a talk. Then the kids went up on deck to take a group shot with the captain. The picture came out cute and had a Panama canal crossing frame with the date around it. We had only 23 kids aboard so they got alot of attention. One night the staff had us give permission to let the 9-12 go to the teen disco to dance around to some music. They seem to take the older kids around the ship alot. They go to get snacks, Play mini golf, ect. The Panama Canal sailing just seemed to have a different feel. The Adventure Ocean staff does their best to have all the kids having fun and the staff seems to enjoy having a sailing out of the ordinary where everything is so regimented.

I"m looking for advice on packing for kids (girls - 6, 10, 12) for a 15 night cruise (Radiance - October Panama Canal). If you have experience taking kids on a longer voyage, do you have some practical advice on what we need to pack? How many pants, shirts, sweaters, dress clothes (dinner attire)?? My very practical (minimalistic) husband says 3 pants, 6 shirts, 1 sweatshirt and a couple of dresses should do it. I can't imagine that working for 15 days, but maybe I'm wrong.

Your experienced input is appreciated. They can't share clothes (sizes and fits are too different) and there is no coin laundry. Ship laundr is an option, but that can add up for 5 people.

Thank you for your help.

Laura

Hi Laura.. ( that is my daughters name... beautiful !!)

Now don't take this wrong, but let me tell you what my mother does on these long cruises... She only packs her old, worn out underwear... every morning when she gets out of the shower, she puts on a clean pair, and throws the dirty pair away !! Then she doesn't have to keep dirty underwear around, and doesn't have to get embaressed sending it out to be cleaned. She brings plain old brown lunchbags and discards them in one and into the trash it goes. Personally, I think it is a great idea!!

Have a great cruise !!

Thank you for your help.

Laura

Hi Laura.. ( that is my daughters name... beautiful !!)

Now don't take this wrong, but let me tell you what my mother does on these long cruises... She only packs her old, worn out underwear... every morning when she gets out of the shower, she puts on a clean pair, and throws the dirty pair away !! Then she doesn't have to keep dirty underwear around, and doesn't have to get embaressed sending it out to be cleaned. She brings plain old brown lunchbags and discards them in one and into the trash it goes. Personally, I think it is a great idea!!

Have a great cruise !!

. . .

* Are the kids clubs good at keeping the activities fresh over a longer cruise? Do they repeat many activities (is it the 7-day list of things to do run thru twice)??

* I read where the science and arts/crafts are designed with the cruise ports (local culture) in mind - is that true?

* There's a kids pool with a little waterslide on the Radiance - any idea what the age range for the water slide (or height/weight range)?

* Can you authorize multiple people to be able to pick up the kids from the kids club (grandparents, aunts, etc)? or does it have to be mom or dad? . .

* We've done a number of longer cruises with our DD. The kids club staff really work at keeping it fresh. although the kids never seem to tire of gagaball.

* We have not done the Panama Canal cruise - on other RCCI cruises the some of the crafts (in particular) do seem to have some local tie-ins others are generic (decorate the pillowcase and bandana, seem to be constants - we've got more RCCI pillow cases!)

*Kids slide on Radiance is quite nice. Our DD (who is generally quite timid about these things) was ok with it when she was younger (6YO) and still enjoys it now (10YO). There is not a deep area where the slide 'lands' but a shallow splash type landing. I've seen 4YO to young teens use it. Don't know if there is any age limit.

* You can specify who is authorized to retreive your child from AO - if staff is not familiar with the adult, they may request ID from them.

Have a great time!

Archived