Need tour suggestions for Haifa

mom kaplan

Our cruise is originating in Haifa with an overnight and following day (until 10pm) there. This will be our second cruise with an overnight in Haifa so we're fortunate to have previously toured Nazareth, Acre, and other "highlights" in northern Israel so we are now looking for a tour that's kind of off the beaten path. We'll be in Haifa, Sunday, 5/28, so I know the market is closed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, mom kaplan said:

Our cruise is originating in Haifa with an overnight and following day (until 10pm) there. This will be our second cruise with an overnight in Haifa so we're fortunate to have previously toured Nazareth, Acre, and other "highlights" in northern Israel so we are now looking for a tour that's kind of off the beaten path. We'll be in Haifa, Sunday, 5/28, so I know the market is closed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

If you haven't already visited- check out Ein Hod Artist Village. It is a very special place and the galleries are open on Sundays.    https://www.ein-hod.org/  One of the restaurants, Yanukis is also open Sundays.

I personally like Haifa itself, but I'm very biased since I used to live there and that's where my Alma mater is. There are multiple special interest museums (I'm particularly fond of the Israel Railways museum, the Hecht Museum of Archeology, the naval museum and the Mada-tech science museum). You can also join a guided tour of the Bahai Gardens if you didn't have the chance already.

Markets wise, the Wadi Nisnas market is indeed much slower on Sundays (not fully closed, but most shops are). The Talpiot Market however is open, and has become a really trendy area for restaurants experimenting with modern Israeli cuisine in the recent years.

(A few months ago I posted a Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review in the Royal Caribbean forums, which has a relatively extensive pre-cruise portion, maybe that will help you get an idea).

Going beyond Haifa, there are many many unique and interesting sites in Northern Israel - Caesarea is the obvious one you haven't mentioned (it's kind of on the beaten path). I can think of others - I like Zippori National Park and the adjacent Beit-Shearim national park, there is Safed, Nimrod fortress, Rosh ha-Nikra / Ras a-Naqoura, and much more.

If you have any particular types of places you are interested in, I'll be happy to try and come with more specific suggestions.

• Like 1

I took a very interesting tour that covered Caesarea Philippi, the Nimrod Fortress, Safed (disappointing), and other stops such as Katzin and some that covered Israel's history. It was with Bein Harim which I would not recommend because of our horrible guide/driver.  See if other tour companies might cover this area. There is no public transportation up there (only local buses.)  

You didn't mention going to Jerusalem. We stayed there for several days basing our hotel to the west of the old city.  We walked most everywhere.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, IgKh said:

I personally like Haifa itself, but I'm very biased since I used to live there and that's where my Alma mater is. There are multiple special interest museums (I'm particularly fond of the Israel Railways museum, the Hecht Museum of Archeology, the naval museum and the Mada-tech science museum). You can also join a guided tour of the Bahai Gardens if you didn't have the chance already.

Markets wise, the Wadi Nisnas market is indeed much slower on Sundays (not fully closed, but most shops are). The Talpiot Market however is open, and has become a really trendy area for restaurants experimenting with modern Israeli cuisine in the recent years.

(A few months ago I posted a Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review in the Royal Caribbean forums, which has a relatively extensive pre-cruise portion, maybe that will help you get an idea).

Going beyond Haifa, there are many many unique and interesting sites in Northern Israel - Caesarea is the obvious one you haven't mentioned (it's kind of on the beaten path). I can think of others - I like Zippori National Park and the adjacent Beit-Shearim national park, there is Safed, Nimrod fortress, Rosh ha-Nikra / Ras a-Naqoura, and much more.

If you have any particular types of places you are interested in, I'll be happy to try and come with more specific suggestions.

Thank you so much, IgKh, for the suggestions. Great idea, I'll look at your review on the RC Rhapsody of the Seas' section for other ideas too.   

On 12/23/2022 at 9:14 AM, Markanddonna said:

I took a very interesting tour that covered Caesarea Philippi, the Nimrod Fortress, Safed (disappointing), and other stops such as Katzin and some that covered Israel's history. It was with Bein Harim which I would not recommend because of our horrible guide/driver.  See if other tour companies might cover this area. There is no public transportation up there (only local buses.)  

You didn't mention going to Jerusalem. We stayed there for several days basing our hotel to the west of the old city.  We walked most everywhere.

Thanks, Markanddonna, for the suggestions as well as the recommendation to avoid Bein Harim as a tour company. Sorry you had less than a good experience with them.

We will be in Jerusalem (specifically Ashdod) for an overnight after we leave Haifa. We spent a couple of days there on a previous cruise but plan to return to a few places of interest again in addition to going to the Dead Sea and Masada. 

3 minutes ago, mom kaplan said:

JHLH821, I'm not familiar with the area. Any suggestion as to the easiest way to get to Ein Hod Artist Village from the port?  

I have only travelled there with a private vehicle but let me do some research and I will provide an update.  If you wish to provide email, I can write you there too.

There is a local bus that goes to Ein Hod from the Haifa Carmel Beach railway station (Route #691 operated by Kavim Bus Company), but its' schedule is not very frequent - you can see using Google Maps.

If you want to go there independently, you might find taking the train to Atlit station and taking a taxi from there to be more convenient. Ein Hod is at most a half day visit, so you can combine a visit there with a visit to the Nahal Mearot National Park (cave complex co-inhabited by prehistoric humans and Neanderthals) or with the Atlit clandestine immigration museum.