Pickleball on Emerald Princess

rideev

On the Emerald for a couple weeks.  Here are my thoughts on pickleball on here.  The court looks great, but that's where it ends.  There is not even onion room to do a legal serve as you can't get behind the baseline.  To let the return bounce, of it is a deep return, good luck.  The ball sometimes bounces, and sometimes it just does where it hits.  When I brought out a good X-40, it worked a little better.  They have paddles and balls, so if your coming, I would leave mine at home and use theirs.  You will see why as you continue to read.  All in all, it was fun the first day as we only had 4 show up and they were all pickleball players.  The next few days, more and more showed up.  But with only one court and doing a lot of teaching during the games, you had to sit out quite a bit.

IMG_20221222_191200986.jpg

IMG_20221222_191157725.jpg

IMG_20221222_191222721.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Robbie555 said:

Did you play in its tournaments and win an award such as the elusive Princess medal - similar to the other sports tournaments such as table-tennis, basketball, golf, and cornhole?

They haven't had pickleball as a competition yet.  I think that would be too difficult to pull off with one court.  Also, the court is terrible to play on.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, rideev said:

They haven't had pickleball as a competition yet.  I think that would be too difficult to pull off with one court.  Also, the court is terrible to play on.

Since there's not too many players, then having a pickeball tournament on one court is feasible - just like how there was only one ping pong table with at least 15 players, but yet Shell managed to properly organize the tournament.

• 10 months later...

I don't have an update... But based on the area that they have, I don't see any way to fix the problem on length.  They could take up the flooring and play on the steel deck, but I doubt they do it.  We played quite a bit on the ship, but it was less than desirable on that ship.  Just got off the Regal and it has two decent courts.

• 1 month later...

No, people just showed up and lined up.  It just wasn't very good on that ship.  Have been on a few others and no one really ruins things.  Kind of like showing up at a public court on land.

This last week on am RCL ship, they played games to 9, then 4 off 4 on.  There were 3 courts and the waiting wasn't too bad.  But the courts were too short.  But it was something to do.

We were just on the Emerald in December. The court is extremely small. You have to step into the court to serve. Only a few people playing so not an issue getting to play. The biggest problem was the extreme wind we had every day. Playing was a challenge!

22 hours ago, janchor said:

We were just on the Emerald in December. The court is extremely small. You have to step into the court to serve. Only a few people playing so not an issue getting to play. The biggest problem was the extreme wind we had every day. Playing was a challenge!

Did they have that hexagonal mat still?  The one that you didn't know if the ball was going to bounce or not?  LOL

As of a month ago they had the hexagonal mats. We did not play pickle ball but shot some baskets. What I did like was having the ping pong inside in half the conference room forward deck seven.

• 2 months later...