What is the Stingray Tour Company in Grand Cayman?

We used Moby Dick Tours for Stingray City. My best advice for you in Grand Cayman is to get off of the ship as early as possible. It took us 1 hour from the time we got in line for the tender until we were actually on the pier. They have 3 boats that go out for Stingray City, but they leave at 9am, 10am and 11am. We were on the last boat, and it was so crowded and the rays were full from the early boats so we did not get a great experience.

If you do not book ahead, there were plenty of tour companies at the pier selling tours.

We used Moby Dick Tours for Stingray City. My best advice for you in Grand Cayman is to get off of the ship as early as possible. It took us 1 hour from the time we got in line for the tender until we were actually on the pier. They have 3 boats that go out for Stingray City, but they leave at 9am, 10am and 11am. We were on the last boat, and it was so crowded and the rays were full from the early boats so we did not get a great experience.

If you do not book ahead, there were plenty of tour companies at the pier selling tours.

Captain Marvins is the best. We were just in Grand Cayman last Wed off the Mariner and booked for our 3rd time with Captain Marvins! All the other boats we see are always so crowded. Our boat had no more than 20 people, plenty of seating, upper and lower for everyone. Great staff. We've bought the video twice. Organized and on time. we missed our tour getting a late start off the ship and they immediately put us on the next tour. They even give you a refreshing fresh water shower after the last stop. Considerate and kind staff. We even give a guy who had been left behind by his tour a lift back to the shore. The other boat he rejoined looked like it had over 100 people on it, jam packed!, no wonder they left one behind. Captain Marvins is top notch.

My DH and I also used Nativeway when we were in Grand Cayman 2.5 years ago. We LOVED them and cannot say enough good things about them. It was honestly the highlight of our first cruise (which is really saying something since we had a fabulous time!). I would not hesitate to use them again--they were great! THe guides were wonderful--gave us lots of opportunity for pictures (me with stingray, DH with stingray, etc.) and had lots of interesting trivia about stingrays.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Captain Bryan. We were just there last March with him and we made 2 snorkeling stops before Stingray City. He timed it so that we were there when there were very few other boats there. The guide on his trip was excellent, did underwater filming, etc. My vote is for Captain Bryan!

BobbyG:cool:

18 days until the Serenade of the Seas!:D

I can't speak about the others but we used Nativeway last year and I can't speak highly enough about them. It was their attention to there passengers that overwhelmed me. The care they took to ensure safety. I am a non swimmer and they watched me like a hawk. One of the boys thanked me for telling them I was a non swimmer because he gets annoyed if he does not know "only by knowing he said can I keep an eye on you". He made sure my life jacket was on correctly and insisted in helping me in and out of the water. When we were picture taking he made sure everyone had a good position. Probably the fact they do take smaller amounts of people out is why they can give this attention. I hope you can get booked with them as I am sure they will look after you. I see Iamthesea has given you the link

We went with the ship excursion. I have no idea the name of the company they use. The boats weren't that great, but they did the job. They also talk you into buying a vhs tape of your adventure. The tour guide we had didn't shave her legs!! That really grossed my husband & I out. lol Other than that, it was alot of fun. They took us to the coral wall to snorkel for about an hour. Ran into some friendly sharks, and thimble jelly fish. We were told it was their mating season & they were dying off & wouldn't sting. Well, they lied. Everytime one touched my face, neck or shoulders, I felt BIZZZzzzzzzz. It wasn't painful, but annoying. When I got back to the ship I had what looked like mosquito bites all over.

Stingray city was fun, however we were told once we got there that we couldn't wear flippers or water shoes. I jumped out of the boat, and soon realized I couldn't touch the bottom (I'm 5'5). I panicked when I saw these large black things swimming pretty fast towards me. I was worried that as I was swimming to the sand bar, I would hit one the wrong way & get stung. They were everywhere! It was like a feeding frenzy. I made my husband carry me back to the boat. He decided to goto the sandbar, and said he felt a little uncomfortable because there were so many people & so many stingrays. They were bumping into you constantly. Overall I had an enjoyable time, but will avoid the stingrays next time :)

I can't speak about the others but we used Nativeway last year and I can't speak highly enough about them. It was their attention to there passengers that overwhelmed me. The care they took to ensure safety. I am a non swimmer and they watched me like a hawk. One of the boys thanked me for telling them I was a non swimmer because he gets annoyed if he does not know "only by knowing he said can I keep an eye on you". He made sure my life jacket was on correctly and insisted in helping me in and out of the water. When we were picture taking he made sure everyone had a good position. Probably the fact they do take smaller amounts of people out is why they can give this attention. I hope you can get booked with them as I am sure they will look after you. I see Iamthesea has given you the link

Ally,

Being that you are a non-swimmer as I am. Did you to snorkeling? I am just curious because I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Thanks.

My mother was virtually a non-swimmer and did great, especially with the life vests they provide. Once you get to the spot where you can stand up you will feel very comfortable with the water.

Maybe this will help to show you the depth of the water: 530846247JWJBwA_ph.jpg

Ally,

Being that you are a non-swimmer as I am. Did you to snorkeling? I am just curious because I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Thanks.

We just did Captain Marvin's last week with my Dad who cannot swim. The tour staff in the office notified the captain of our boat before we left. Even though they told us at the office there would be a 25 foot swim to the sandbar, the Captain backed the boat close enough to the sandbar that it was Not over our heads(up to our necks..5 feet) but only 3 or 4 steps with the life vest on and you were in the shallow water up to your waist. My Dad was able to enjoy the stingrays with us on the sandbar. He did not go snorkeling but again, the Captain and his crew made sure they fed the fish very close to the boat so that my Dad could enjoy seeing them in the crystal clear water. Captain Marvins was awesome.

Ally,

Thanks.

Well I did snorkle of a kind. As you have a vest on it is not so good to get down into the water but Nativeway had a long line with a bhoy at the end of it and I was told to hold on to the line and I was able to stay in one place and put my head in the water without being swept away. They also provide masks and snorkles as well as vests.

Archived