Cruising without Passport

schultz572

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

You can get anything you take into a port of call and it can be stolen or robbed from you.  How about your Setsail Pass, that can be stolen, right? 

If my Setsail Pass and/or DL are stolen, I end up back at the ship, explain the situation, go through whatever proof they need I'm supposed to be on board and end up on board.  I mean if nothing else, they have my photo.  They can compare the photo they have of me as a valid passenger to my face.  So I end up on board.  Once on board, my passport is in my safe and I have no problem re-entering the US.  Presumably those using BCs (which are in the safe) can work with the cruise line before returning to the US to get back in the US.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

Absolutely NOT true.  The ship will turn you over to the nearest US state department official and that person will assist with getting you back to the US. A member of  our family had their passport stolen in Cozumel (we were with them on that cruise)  and that is exactly what the ship did. The procedure was ship gave them the contact details of the port agent, port agent contacted US consulate, at that point all cruise line involvement stopped.

As usual, different strokes for different folks/ships/times.  I to have experience with a lost or stolen passport while in port.  It was not a problem at all.  The person that had the passport stolen was verified by the ships crew, let on the ship, when we got back to port, Port Everglades, the person only had to approach CBP agent who was aware of the situation and he processed the situation in about a minute, even gave the person an official letterhead or form that the passport was stolen while in a port of call and to send it in with the application for a replacement.  It seemed like everything was waiting on the person that had the passport stolen.  So, go ahead on and paint a doom and gloom picture as much as you want.  I'll stay on the bright side, and carry that little booklet of insurance with me.  Oh, and it is true and don't call me a liar.  I've restrained myself from getting personal with you!

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Oh, and it is true and don't call me a liar.  I've restrained myself from getting personal with you!

In your post you said "the ship will do everything necessary to get you back to the US" This is NOT true.  The ship or cruise line may make contact or pass on information but CBP makes the arrangements for re-entry to the US.  So, in fact, you did lie,  inadvertently or not.  As for getting personal?? Who cares?? I would expect nothing less from the ayatollah of decency and morals. ROFL!! consider yourself ignored

I wish this not to be such a hot topic of discussion but happy to be receiving replies to my original question.

I do have another question though, I have one traveler that has changed his last name, he has his original birth certificate along with documents from the MN court system showing what his original last name was (which matches his birth certificate) and what his name last name has changed to. Will this documentation work if he brings the birth certificate, and the name change paper work provided by the state of Minnesota? His drivers license last name matches the name change paperwork as well, not the birth certificate. 

Or am I best making him obtain a new birth certificate that has his new last name printed on it? 

Edited by schultz572

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

In your post you said "the ship will do everything necessary to get you back to the US" This is NOT true.  The ship or cruise line may make contact or pass on information but CBP makes the arrangements for re-entry to the US.  So, in fact, you did lie,  inadvertently or not.  As for getting personal?? Who cares?? I would expect nothing less from the ayatollah of decency and morals. ROFL!! consider yourself ignored

But, it is true.  And you just confirmed it by saying, "The ship or cruise line may make contact or pass on information but CBP makes the arrangements for re-entry to the US".  All that happens while you are sitting pool side sipping on your Shirley Temple.  What else can the ship do but inform CBP, they can't print up a duplicate Passport for you. They did/do what they can the rest IS up to CBP and CBP takes it from there, the ship and it's crew can only act as an intermediary between you and the U.S. Government (CBP).  I never said who does what and when.

Come on man, this ain't brain surgery, guy!

I care because this is supposed to be a site without personal attacks and so on.  And thank you for the ignore option.  I couldn't be happier.  Although, I'd bet you have been waiting for this response to come in.  LOL