OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE DEC- JAN 8 2023

morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, CarolnLarry said:

Do you know what pier/dock you will be coming into tomorrow?  Have to give Uber an address. 

Can't imagine one could go wrong with these addresses: 

Cruise Terminal C - Port of Miami

4.3(1.2K) · Cruise terminal

1537-2299 N Cruise Blvd

Website

Directions

Terminal D - Port of Miami

4.5(1.5K) · Cruise terminal

1435 N Cruise Blvd

portmiami-map.png

This is probably common knowledge, but news to me. That Captain DePalma has a 5 month contract and his wife and son live on board for the entire contract. 

Noticed that the future cruise desk this evening in the Top Sail Lounge was the busiest place on the ship. Despite the few 'hiccups' experienced with so many on board, many are booking future cruises anyway.

In closing, I paraphrase Wordsworth " I travelled among unknown men, in lands beyond the sea; nor ( home) did I know till then what love I bore to thee."

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Noticed that the future cruise desk this evening in the Top Sail Lounge was the busiest place on the ship."

If I had been asked a few months ago, whether a future booking on our March '23 cruise will be a slam dunk, I'd have said, "Definitely."

Thanks to reports of yahoos making their way to MSC, as well as quality issues, I'm now doing research for a '24 switch to Oceania.

If what I'm reading on CC holds true on Seascape this March, the future cruise rep will need to have a really good deal on the table to persuade me from giving Oceania a whirl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelwide said:

Have a safe trip home. Where will your next live thread be from?

Seascape February 19 in 6 weeks. Will give an update on “yahoos”, elevators, door locks, and entertainment. The service cannot be improved in the YC. It is the best it has ever been. I will be careful not to mention all the “abundance “ of  amenities that may or may not be standard. Still read reports that YC get free ice cream/gelato at the Venchi kiosks. Never bothered to try since I had a sundae every lunch and dinner in the YC restaurant, even had them at the YC buffet ( only item I would consider not ‘picked over’).

Some of us enjoy the ‘contrast’ one finds outside the YC. What else would there be to write home about?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, no1talks said:

Thanks to reports of yahoos making their way to MSC, as well as quality issues, I'm now doing research for a '24 switch to Oceania

A lot can happen by ‘24. We have a Oceania booked as well for ‘24. Heard that the Market Place buffet manager was also complaining about the inordinate amount of “yahoos” this cruise. That is why the YC has its own buffets. There is less and less reason to leave the YC enclave. Noticed last night that there was no long break between entertainment in the Top Sail Lounge like there are in venues outside. The trick is to keep the “yahoos” out of the YC. We will be sure to mention this in the comment email.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your helpful information. I have read through and apologize if I missed anything, but would you be kind enough to advise if you experienced the following? We were on the Seashore in May 2022 and Meraviglia in November 2022 and most of these items below were missing from the Meraviglia. Our butler told us (when he introduced himself, which sort of left a weird impression) not to expect the same amenities and services that we had experienced on the Seashore (newest flagship at that time). We are trying to decide between Seascape or Seaside and I'm wondering if there will be a similar inconsistency between the two, due to the Seascape's newer status. 

You mentioned the seafood extravaganza, but was there an evening buffet on deck 20 outside one night? I thought they called it 'dining under the stars'? Or anything similar in the evening on deck 20 (not necessarily late night party).

Curious if they had the snacks out in Topsail throughout the day, or did guests need to request them?

Did you say they had the afternoon tea, but only once? If so, do you know if this is the standard going forward?

Did they offer the afternoon canapes/little treats in your cabin? Or just the turn-down evening small chocolates only?

Ocean Cay - we missed on Seashore due to weather but they still served the special lunch menu that day in the YC restaurant. We had a shortened stop on Ocean Cay on Meraviglia and it was understandable that food would not be served on the island. But when we asked if they would serve the Ocean House menu onboard, we were told 'no' without any reasoning. I was perplexed because I knew they had the food onboard, but guess they saved it for the next week. Curious if you have experienced this either way?

Thank you again for all of your helpful information and review!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jethapgun said:

You mentioned the seafood extravaganza, but was there an evening buffet on deck 20 outside one night? I thought they called it 'dining under the stars'? Or anything similar in the evening on deck 20 (not necessarily late night party)

I'll start with this one first. The "Dining under the Stars" occurs when the ships are docked in port and scheduled for a later departure, generally San Juan, Puerto Rico, as the ship is not moving (wind/weather permitting) and allows for guests getting back later from excursions to dine and party on deck in the Yacht Club. They do look for excuses to throw a party and buffet whenever the Yacht Club is nearly full. New Years Eve party and White Party all separate from the rest of the ship. There are many repeaters, like ourselves, that have experienced these parties on the Seaside and Seashore and appreciate that the YC restaurant is still open and will serve from the buffet as well as the YC menu, except the late night parties up on deck. We are no longer part of the late night crowd and perhaps are not as interested. Please refer to the daily programs I posted daily that list all the events.

Pictured below is not us, but might as well be.

39057070_10212588974786907_2629162800022290432_n.jpg

• Haha 1

Curious if they had the snacks out in Topsail throughout the day, or did guests need to request them?

Changing constantly throughout the day and evening. We got the 'feeling' that requests might even be entertained as in the YC is known for accommodating its guests.

• Thanks 1

Did you say they had the afternoon tea, but only once? If so, do you know if this is the standard going forward?

Afternoon tea everyday in TSL (not really attended to a great extent). But the High Teas have to held in the YC restaurant due to their popularity and 'heard' guests over stay their welcome to just minutes before 5:30 dinner open. Staff find it difficult to get guests to leave a High Tea.

Ocean Cay - we missed on Seashore due to weather but they still served the special lunch menu that day in the YC restaurant. We had a shortened stop on Ocean Cay on Meraviglia and it was understandable that food would not be served on the island. But when we asked if they would serve the Ocean House menu onboard, we were told 'no' without any reasoning. I was perplexed because I knew they had the food onboard, but guess they saved it for the next week. Curious if you have experienced this either way?

Appears the Mera is not run like the other Caribbean ships. Can't say, never been on Mera. Perhaps someone could answer this question.

Seaside and I'm wondering if there will be a similar inconsistency between the two, due to the Seascape's newer status. 

We enjoyed the entertainment much more on the Seaside and Seashore. Similarly, we were on the Celebrity Equinox and Edge and they had much better entertainment than their newest, the Beyond. These two cruise lines probably 'feel' that the newness of their latest additions is enough of a draw that they can 'cut the entertainment corner' back to save money. CD on Seascape blames the pandemic for the dearth of first rate entertainers that can no longer be found.

We understood from a post here that Dining under the Stars on the yacht club pool deck is held (obviously weather permitting) when you're in a port has a late departure.  On our seascape itinerary next week our latest port stop except for ocean cay is 6pm.  Does this itinerary host the Dining under the Stars and if so which port usually?  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

8 Days − 7 Nights Port
Miami, Florida
Ocean Cay, MSC Marine Res,Baha
AT SEA
Cozumel, Mexico
George Town, Cayman Islands
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
At sea

miami

25 minutes ago, Oldsweets said:

.  On our seascape itinerary next week our latest port stop except for ocean cay is 6pm.

Don't think any of these are late enough. Same is true for Celebrity Edge Class ships with the new Magic Carpet restaurant with great menu. Everyone wants to book the Magic Carpet, but few know that the restaurant service on these E class ships is only in the Med. No meals served on any E class ship in the Caribbean due to wind unless delayed in a port.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I'll start with this one first. The "Dining under the Stars" occurs when the ships are docked in port and scheduled for a later departure, generally San Juan, Puerto Rico, as the ship is not moving (wind/weather permitting) and allows for guests getting back later from excursions to dine and party on deck in the Yacht Club. They do look for excuses to throw a party and buffet whenever the Yacht Club is nearly full. New Years Eve party and White Party all separate from the rest of the ship. There are many repeaters, like ourselves, that have experienced these parties on the Seaside and Seashore and appreciate that the YC restaurant is still open and will serve from the buffet as well as the YC menu, except the late night parties up on deck. We are no longer part of the late night crowd and perhaps are not as interested. Please refer to the daily programs I posted daily that list all the events.

From your posts I don't believe this for one moment. 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

A lot can happen by ‘24. We have a Oceania booked as well for ‘24. Heard that the Market Place buffet manager was also complaining about the inordinate amount of “yahoos” this cruise. That is why the YC has its own buffets. There is less and less reason to leave the YC enclave. Noticed last night that there was no long break between entertainment in the Top Sail Lounge like there are in venues outside. The trick is to keep the “yahoos” out of the YC. We will be sure to mention this in the comment email.

Hope they know what a "yahoo" is! There is the internet to find out. 🙂🥂

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thank you so very much for all of your responses - I am very grateful!! Have a wonderful day!

On 1/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Tonight I am afraid I am commiserating with styles27 who is reporting on their Divina cruise. Am sure when we both get home we will forget these trifles and once again ‘sing’ the praises of MSC.(it is just our fellow cruisers that we have ‘issue with’. Example, below is photo of stroller in the aisle for the entire show, a possible hazard? The child at one point screamed louder than the singers on stage and the parents did not remove the child from the theatre. No consideration.

49875822-545E-45EC-BD56-1A3D9A7BCF48.jpeg

This is also happening on Divina right now. Strollers left in the hallways, lounges, theater, pool deck etc. Children sitting on bar stools at the bars and parents refusing to remove them when the bartender asks them to. 
Not sure where all these pax came from but it appears they have taken over every MSC ship out of FL for the holiday cruises. 

We are staying on tomorrow for a B2B. We are told we’ll only have 1800 for this next leg of the trip. 

The Divina crew that we’ve spoken to cannot wait to put this cruise behind them. We have to agree with them. 

I’m glad you guys made it back safely! 
Deb

• Like 1