San Miguel Town

CruisingAgain

MSC docks Punta Langosta Port. I believe it is the same port used by some NCL and Disney ships.  With Carnival we always dock at Punta Langosta Port.

What I have read is that San Miguel town is close. Has anyone walked from this port to the town? Is it safe for a solo old lady? Are there restaurants with a nice water view.  So many times in Cozumel that this time I'd just like to sit in a restaurant/bar, have lunch and some drinks. This would have been perfect where Carnival docks and now I am trying to figure out the new dock.

IF you dock in town the museum can be a nice place to take a short break and has a restaurant upstairs overlooking the ocean. 

https://novenaola.com

MSC usually docks in town (Punta Langosta) but Christmas Day it was at International. Some small Carnival ships dock in town but usually they dock at Puerta Maya next to International.

suggest you walk oceanside from the port to museum to avoid the shop vendors.

Edited by c-leg5

On 12/27/2022 at 2:38 PM, c-leg5 said:

suggest you walk oceanside from the port to museum to avoid the shop vendors.

Thank you!!  Can you explain briefly how I walk to the museum? Left or Right at the end of the pier? Through the mall or before that?  Do you know of other restaurants with an ocean view?  I don't want anything fancy.

9 minutes ago, CruisingAgain said:

Thank you!!  Can you explain briefly how I walk to the museum? Left or Right at the end of the pier? Through the mall or before that?  Do you know of other restaurants with an ocean view?  I don't want anything fancy.

I would suggest you take a look at Google maps to get your bearings and you can do a virtual walk over most of Cozumel.

Briefly, you walk to the left from Punta Langosta to the museum although I think the exit from the pier takes you across the road to the port shopping area so you will want to walk to the north along Melgar, with the ocean on your left after you exit the mall.We generally walk on the oceanside of the road where the taxis are parked to avoid the crowds and shop vendors- of course if you WANT to shop this won’t work for you!

Google maps says 3/4 mile from Langosta to museum, a short distance past the ferry pier.  There are several restaurants along the way of various prices. The museum restaurant has an online menu.

Depending how agile you are, one of our favorites with a view is the coffee shop Aqui y ahora (almost opposite the coral reefs monument) but you need to go to the back of the  cafe and up a quirky staircase to the roof terrace. They also have a sidewalk seating area but of course it is lower down and busy with people passing.

aqui-ahora.co
It also has online menu. 

Near the ferry pier is the more touristy, Palmeros - it is a long time since we were there and I think there is only indoor seating. 

If you are up to walking to the end of town, beyond the museum (or take a taxi) La Monina or Hemingway’s have upstair restaurants with a view or downstair loungers/chairs on a rocky beaches. That would depend on how comfortable you are walking further- it is quite safe and along the main road but i understand it is difficult when you are not familiar with an area. It is just over a mile. Happy hour at La Monina 12-5 pm. Near La Monina is a recently built church, a mayan replica, and some more sculptures.