Viking - cancel for any reason coverage?

Cienfuegos

My wife and I added the Viking cancel for any reason coverage to our Viking Greek cruise scheduled for early December.  Due to emergency surgery, we were obliged to cancel at the beginning of November. We notified Viking and received a cancel confirmation. And filed the documentation with Trip-Mate in early November. Their paperwork, our hospital and surgical info, etc prob 18 pages.

Heard zero from Viking or Trip-Mate the administrator. Nothing on the Trip-Mate site about receiving our information. Their phone rep said they are swamped, expect three weeks or more for anything to show up. Viking was no help.

We received another confirmation of our cancelled trip from Viking in early December. Magically, the Trip-Mate site updated that night to show all documents received and under review. That was December 5.

It's now December 28, and still no resolution. Trip-Mate's representative says the review may be completed as early as next week. If approved, the payments will be made within 30 days. That pushes it out to February.  "If approved", what's to approve?  We cancelled for any reason.

From the beginning of November when documents were filed to the beginning of February when payments could be made seems like an outrageous amount of time since they've had access to the supporting documents for the entire time.

We have been happy with Viking Ocean and its operations over two cruises, and have recommended Viking to others. But the choice of Trip-Mate and the deliberately slow walking of all steps in our reimbursement seems inconsistent with Viking's requirements of full payments well in advance when it is receiving payments.

Next time around, we will be sure to get our travel insurance coverage from a company which does right by its policyholders.  "Cancel for any reason"  We cancelled and provided evidence, and they still slow walk the whole process.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

My wife and I added the Viking cancel for any reason coverage to our Viking Greek cruise scheduled for early December.  Due to emergency surgery, we were obliged to cancel at the beginning of November. We notified Viking and received a cancel confirmation. And filed the documentation with Trip-Mate in early November. Their paperwork, our hospital and surgical info, etc prob 18 pages.

Heard zero from Viking or Trip-Mate the administrator. Nothing on the Trip-Mate site about receiving our information. Their phone rep said they are swamped, expect three weeks or more for anything to show up. Viking was no help.

We received another confirmation of our cancelled trip from Viking in early December. Magically, the Trip-Mate site updated that night to show all documents received and under review. That was December 5.

It's now December 28, and still no resolution. Trip-Mate's representative says the review may be completed as early as next week. If approved, the payments will be made within 30 days. That pushes it out to February.  "If approved", what's to approve?  We cancelled for any reason.

From the beginning of November when documents were filed to the beginning of February when payments could be made seems like an outrageous amount of time since they've had access to the supporting documents for the entire time.

We have been happy with Viking Ocean and its operations over two cruises, and have recommended Viking to others. But the choice of Trip-Mate and the deliberately slow walking of all steps in our reimbursement seems inconsistent with Viking's requirements of full payments well in advance when it is receiving payments.

Next time around, we will be sure to get our travel insurance coverage from a company which does right by its policyholders.  "Cancel for any reason"  We cancelled and provided evidence, and they still slow walk the whole process.

Apparently Viking coverage operates differently. CFAR means you don’t have to provide documentation. You get reimbursed with vouchers regardless of the reason for cancellation.  You had a medical claim which qualified for full cash reimbursement.

I don’t really understand why people accept vouchers in place of cash even if some bonus FCC is awarded. Vouchers can be difficult to use and may still require new money or forfeiture of value depending on how they are applied. Plus, Viking will not insure vouchers used for the subsequent trip, and bonus FCC can’t be insured by third-party policies so any advantage is lost if the second cruise is cancelled.

• Like 3

If you look closely at the Trip Mate policy through Viking, it CLEARLY states that Part A is provided by Viking and it is Cancel for Any Reason coverage with reimbursement by voucher from Viking to be applied to a future cruise.  Part B is provided by the Underwriter totally separate from Viking.  A refund is given IF the reason for cancellation is a covered reason and IF the required documentation is provided to the Underwriter within their stated time frame.  We choose Part A or Part B.  Once we make that choice it is final.

Emergency surgery should be a covered reason to cancel.  It sounds like you provided the documentation, it was received and approved.  Your follow up for payment should be made with the insurance company.  Viking was out of the picture once the Part B claim was made and they are not a liaison with the insurance underwriter for you.

• Like 6

Thanks for the various insights, they are helpful.

I still feel that if the coverage is cancel for any reason, or cancel for covered medical, and the proper evidence is presented, it shouldn't  take nearly four months from that point to arrange payment.  That's just bad faith on Viking's and the plan administrator's parts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks for the various insights, they are helpful.

I still feel that if the coverage is cancel for any reason, or cancel for covered medical, and the proper evidence is presented, it shouldn't  take nearly four months from that point to arrange payment.  That's just bad faith on Viking's and the plan administrator's parts.

You’re right. It might have gone faster as a true CFAR because documentation is not required. In your case, the administrator had to verify the claim so that took longer. Your state insurance commission might have been able to intervene on your behalf if you had contacted them.  I hope that the rest of the process goes smoothly and that your wife is well on her way to recovery.

I understand your frustration, and I won't even begin to try to talk you out of it. Having placed a claim through TripMate ten years ago from a land based tour, I have a reasonable degree of confidence you will get your reimbursement. 

I will, however, offer one bit of advice. EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, takes longer than it used to take. Somehow, it is a side effect of the pandemic. I hope it is not permanent. Best of luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To update this situation -

I spoke with Trip-Mate today about the progress, if any, on our cancel for any reason reason Viking refund.

Me: We received communication at the beginning of December that all information, including that from Viking, has been received.  What's the status?

Joe at Trip-Mate:  Yes. Your claim has been approved. It has been moved to payment processing.

Me: That's great, When will I get my money?

Joe: Well, once payment processing finishes its work, the authorization review takes place, then it moves to final review, and will be scheduled for payment.

Me: How many days are we talking about here? You guys haven't exactly moved very quickly so far.

Joe: Expect it will take about 30 days.

Me: 30 days from when?

Joe: Today.

Me: when was the claim approved? Today?

Joe: Yes.

------------------------------------

So, it seems that Viking and Trip-Mate are aggressively playing the float here. Trying to stretch out payment as long as possible. They've had all the material they need from us for nearly three months, and could have had the info from Viking much earlier than they said they received it.

I'm very unhappy with the way Viking and Trip-Mate are gaming their customers. On the one side, you have to pay for cruises immediately, even though the departure may be 18 months away. On the other side, they actively hold customer refund money far longer than they need to.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:43 AM, Cienfuegos said:

We had a similar situation.  It took about 4 months for resolution and constant checking.  One needs to have patience.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, patience is a virtue. Viking / TripMate finally sent us our checks via email, three full months to the day after we cancelled.

The paper checks can be deposited. If we wished to receive direct deposit, that would cost us another 5%.

Lesson learned, now onto the next cruise adventure!