Door Decorating Ideas

I'd be more than happy to report back to you and let you know how the door decorating went for us. Looks like I'll have a small window to get the information to you. Then I'll be envious because you're off on your cruise and we'll be home already! :p

Well don't worry because I will have my fair share of envy too while your on your cruise:p . I swear waiting for your cruise to come is just as bad as waiting for the baby to arrive when your pregnant. The closer it gets the slower time goes.;)

Well don't worry because I will have my fair share of envy too while your on your cruise:p . I swear waiting for your cruise to come is just as bad as waiting for the baby to arrive when your pregnant. The closer it gets the slower time goes.;)

lol Isn't that the truth! I'm going crazy here and the cruise is all I can think about lately!!!!! :D

And just why do you think I'm spending so much time checking out ways to decorate my door??? Cuz I have thirteen and a half months to wait!!! (GROAN) I figure I'll have the most streamlined wardrobe, the cheapest prebooked excursions and the most decorated door of anyone on my cruise by then.

Well, I'm off in search of more Grand Princess/anniversary sign samples...

And just why do you think I'm spending so much time checking out ways to decorate my door??? Cuz I have thirteen and a half months to wait!!! (GROAN) I figure I'll have the most streamlined wardrobe, the cheapest prebooked excursions and the most decorated door of anyone on my cruise by then.

Well, I'm off in search of more Grand Princess/anniversary sign samples...

So I have heard other people talk about signs for their doors. Where do you find those signs? Would love to have one.:confused:

We decorated our doors in the past. My wife used fun foam and also gets fun foam letters to spell things out. Double sided tapes works well and doesn't ruin the doors. Also some of the confetti streamers if you want to hang those around the door. A note pad with post-it type notes and a pen on a string helps if you want people to leave you notes! They do!!

You can also print out pics of you or things from home and put this on the fun foam or poster board ahead of time then just attach the fun foam to your door. This goes fast, it is thin and lightweight, as well as low cost.

We were on a cruise over Halloween once and had the spider web stuff all around the door.

Marinerminglers - This is the most popular one so far: http://www.cruisecritic.com/doorsign.pdf

I'll see if I can find that great link where I downloaded a file that lets me type in anything and then cut and paste it (with a clear backgound) onto any jpeg file I make. I'm no expert, I just dabble a lot in graphics and have taught myself.

I truly don't understand.

When I go on vacation I go to relax and experience new things. I have to laugh sometimes because as I walk down the corridors I feel like I am in a freshman dormitory in a junior college.

I just feel like this habit takes away from the ambiance of the ship and lutters up the corridors....sorry, just my opinion.:confused:

Dave:eek:

Dave - I sort of feel the same. Fortunately, you really don't see many decorated doors on Celebrity (I've only seen about 2 or 3 in the 11 times I have cruised them). But, I thought it a little juvenile as it reminded me of high school when we decorated lockers for special occasions. But it is not my room, so it really doesn't affect me.

I believe I may look at this differently if it was a room with no children but I see no problem doing it with kids. Our 2 cabin doors will be decorated with poster boards for people to hopefully sign. One for each kid so that they may take them to school when we return and she everyone. This is something that my kids and the school kids are looking forward to.

Marinerminglers - This is the most popular one so far: http://www.cruisecritic.com/doorsign.pdf

I'll see if I can find that great link where I downloaded a file that lets me type in anything and then cut and paste it (with a clear backgound) onto any jpeg file I make. I'm no expert, I just dabble a lot in graphics and have taught myself.

Janutz: Where in the world did you find this link for the poster? I am also looking for name tags and had to email CC. I am still waiting to hear from them but if you have any more links, please feel free to share. :p Thank you very, very much!

Found it ...I downloaded this and find it's my most useful tool for adding words to my jpegs (pictures)... http://members.aol.com/cruisetip/NameSign.rtf

It's set up so if you print your name here, print the page, then reload the same page and print the above sign, it matches. I haven't tried it myself yet - seems to me you would print the Meet & Mingle sign first and then over lay your signature last...

I found these over in the Royal Caribbean area. They have the best door decoration threads.

I believe I may look at this differently if it was a room with no children but I see no problem doing it with kids. Our 2 cabin doors will be decorated with poster boards for people to hopefully sign. One for each kid so that they may take them to school when we return and she everyone. This is something that my kids and the school kids are looking forward to.

Our kids are not going on the cruise with us so I thought it would be fun to have them make us a sign for the door. So we put their pictures on it and they did all of their artwork and now every time we go to our cabin we will see their "Bon Voyage" card for us. And we are also hoping to have people sign it and the kids are so excited to get it back. They feel like they are part of the trip.:D

We've been on early December cruises in 2004 and 2005 and both times I put decorated Christmas socks on our door. In 2005 our room was visible from the elevators and people said, "THANKS!" because when they exited, they knew which direction to turn.

Both years we had people put things into the socks, too. In 2004 the kids in the Kid Program walked by often and dropped items in and they were SO excited the last day to disclose their sneakiness to us.

Only had one (crabby) man who told me it was a dumb idea.........he didn't have to look!:p

In a long corridor it surely helps one to find the correct door.

3M makes a product called Command Adhesive It comes on a card with plastic hooks or holders. Sticks like glue but when you are done with it you simply pull the tab and it just pops off without any damage. You can find it in just about any drugstore in the household area.

Janutz: thanks for the great information. I am really having fun with this. Aside from putting up info. about us and our life back home, I also did a little research on each port. Each day I will post a sign that states which day it is and where we are, along with a few historical facts. Maybe this seems boring but it's the best I could come up with. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Yes please let me know if anyone takes your decorations. We will be cruising April 23.:)

Hi all! We returned from our cruise yesterday. It was soooo much fun and the weather was beautiful. It's good to be home but I will miss the sunshine, sea, and foo foo drinks. lol

Ok, now about my door. I hung up my Cruise Critic sign, a notepad, pencil, and some pictures of us. I also put up some printouts of the history of each port of call. One day as I was walking out of my cabin, I startled a couple who was reading everything. They apologized and I told them the door was decorated for people to see and read. :p Mostly there were nice notes on the door. But there were also some perverted things written on the notepad. Things like, "when I think about you I want to touch myself" and other crap like that. There were a lot of drunk people onboard, plus it was Spring Break so I don't want to point any fingers but I could tell by what was written that it was most likely adults. Three quarters of the notepad and the pencil disappeared after a few days. Then, all was quiet.

I will decorate my door again but omit the notepad and pencil. I didn't like waking up to surprises like that. Having to wake up every morning and check my door for x-rated comments took the fun out of the whole thing. It's too bad that some people have to ruin it for the majority!!!

Overall though, it was a fun project and it really did help me find my door amongst all the others. :)

We also returned yesterday...Long drive home last night and I am sleep walking. My kids (7 & 9) both put poster boards on their board saying it was for school. Oh my was it a success. We had to turn it over and let them sign the back and it is jammed packed with so many names. They are so excited to take it to school today...If they wake up. ;)

I like the Halloween decorations idea! I'm going on a cruise in mid-October 2006. Perhaps I'll bring my little "crashing witch" and hang it on the outside of my cabin door.

Hopefully your crashing witch doesn't protrude from the door. The hallways are narrow enough - something sticking out in the hallway on a rocking ship is an accident waiting to happen.

Archived