Door Decorating Ideas

most doors on ships are metal, so magnets work well....you can lots of sign on line or make your own. Buy the magnic tape from an office supply store...one side sticks to the sign and the other will stick to the door. Have fun!

Once we had several family members on board with us. Later on embarkation day, we were able to sneak around to everyone's room and decorate their doors! It was fun trying to do it w/o getting caught! Everyone enjoyed their decorations. We had a large balcony, so I also brought my palm tree/pineapple lights and we had a party out on the balcony! It was a blast!

Have fun!

:cool:

Just be prepared that a few of your decorations might walk off. We had this happen last year and kind of took the fun out of it for us. I am going to do it again though! Got the magnetic paper and will print some fun stuff off for our door. If it walks off, so be it!

My daughter always decorates our doors when we are traveling during a holiday. Last year at Easter she got the cutest Easter Bunny stick-ons. Other people remarked how it helped them to find their cabins as well!!

I put a shamrock on my door. It was always interesting to see which side of the hall it would be on when i got home (due to being overserved and not knowing my way around the ship too well!)

I just taped one of the Cruise Critic posters on the door and by the end of the cruise you could hardly see it because it was covered with the stickers you get for shore excursions. On a whimsy I stuck mine on one day and it took off from there.

keep on cruising

We always decorate our door. We have gotten very elaborate with some. One of my favorite ones was with magnets: Each day as we left for breakfast we would add a new magnet to our door. They all depicted something from our home State. One morning we slept in and were woken by a knock on the door. It was a fellow passenger wondering what magnet we would be putting out that day! Not a single magnet went missing but they would often times be rearranged. I was happy that we brightened peoples day.

Only once did I have a negative comment on a door decoration. It was a Hawaii cruise and I had the cutouts of a pineapple, palm tree, hula girl, etc. on our door. Nothing weird just stuff from the party store. One gentleman went out of his way to tell me that he thought it was "tacky". We were in a Grand Suite so maybe that isn't what "suite" people do? Guess he didn't like it in his hallway. Anyway, it took the joy out of the decorations and I took them down and threw them away.

I am so glad I asked this question about the doors. All these great ideas. I think I was trying to make it too complicated. I love the ideas of the state magnets.We are from N.C. so we could do anything from mountains to oceans or the Wright Brothers Flying. How great. We will be traveling with another couple so I think I will sneak over and decorate their door too. How fun this is going to be. I love being sneaky. :rolleyes:

Only 6 weeks and 2 days until our Western Caribbean Cruise. Ya Hoo!!

My dd, dm and I each made a poster that we used to decorate our door. We bought some beach scene paper that you use in scrapbooks, then printed out a favorite picture of each other. We then used stickers and other things to decorate our poster. The posters were really cute and

people walking by our door could put a face with who was in the room! And I was surprised that nobody stole them or marked them up at all. We brought them back home and mine is in my scrapbook.

It made it easy to find our cabin after a long day!:D

On our 16-day cruise through Panama last August, I brought some wooden cut-out magnets to put on our door, a palm tree, a flip flop, a sailboat, etc. Husband warned me that they would be gone. Sure enough the third day they disappeared. My son was very disappointed. I put a post-it note on the door and asked the person who took them to please return them. A couple of days later the steward told me that our magnets were on the wall down the hall. A couple also told us that they saw them down the hall, so we went and found them. At first I didn't want to just take them back, I thought the person who took them should return them. But my son insisted that I should get them back, so I did. My son wouldn't let me put them up again. It was really nice when we had them on the door, made it easy to find our cabin. I also decorated my niece's door with some heart-shape post-it notes for her birthday, and they were fine until we disembarked. They were on the other side of the ship.

I just got a really great idea from a friend the other day. She told me I should get a poster board and let my girls 3 and 7 decorate it because they aren't going to be with us. I thought that was a great idea.:D I went and bought all of the stickers and markers yesterday. I am also going to put a picture of each of them on it so I will see them everytime I walk in my cabin. I am so excited.

Surely no one will steal that unless they are just sickos.:mad:

After reading some of the posts on this thread about decorations being taken off doors, I decided to print out some pictures of us, our dogs, and our life back home to put up instead of purchasing things. This will help us locate our door, plus we can look at our dogs every day. And yes, if people take these they are indeed sickos with nothing better to do!!! :eek: We're not cruising until April 2, so I can let you know how it worked out for us. But in general I think the more personal and inexpensive they are, the less likely they they are to 'disappear'.

After reading some of the posts on this thread about decorations being taken off doors, I decided to print out some pictures of us, our dogs, and our life back home to put up instead of purchasing things. This will help us locate our door, plus we can look at our dogs every day. And yes, if people take these they are indeed sickos with nothing better to do!!! :eek: We're not cruising until April 2, so I can let you know how it worked out for us. But in general I think the more personal and inexpensive they are, the less likely they they are to 'disappear'.

Yes please let me know if anyone takes your decorations. We will be cruising April 23.:)

My BIL had his 40th birthday last year while we cruised Alaska. My husband and I got up real early and put magnetic old man 40th pics from clip art and hung balloons and streamers with ticky tack. The balloons and streamers lasted a few days, but the magnets lasted the whole week. It definitely helped us find our door. It was the only decorated door on the whole deck. I didn't care and neither did he.

I truly don't understand.

When I go on vacation I go to relax and experience new things. I have to laugh sometimes because as I walk down the corridors I feel like I am in a freshman dormitory in a junior college.

I just feel like this habit takes away from the ambiance of the ship and lutters up the corridors....sorry, just my opinion.:confused:

Dave:eek:

Personally, I don't think you have a reason to be sorry for your own opinon. We are all entitled to them.

Anyhow, I never even though about this before reading this thread. This sounds really cute and I think I will decorate because it is our first cruise. I think I will get the magnet paper (where do you get this from) and write on it for people to feel free to sign it. We have 2 rooms and am traveling with kids and a gradma so if nothing else, my kids will love hearing from friends that they hopefully make. Please, we can take it down and bring it home for a special memory. Plus the kids would love to take it to show-and-tell the next day.

Has anyone ever done this?

Personally, I don't think you have a reason to be sorry for your own opinon. We are all entitled to them.

Anyhow, I never even though about this before reading this thread. This sounds really cute and I think I will decorate because it is our first cruise. I think I will get the magnet paper (where do you get this from) and write on it for people to feel free to sign it. We have 2 rooms and am traveling with kids and a gradma so if nothing else, my kids will love hearing from friends that they hopefully make. Please, we can take it down and bring it home for a special memory. Plus the kids would love to take it to show-and-tell the next day.

What an awesome idea about having people sign the poster. I think I will add that to my door also. I can't wait less than 6 weeks. I really cant stand waiting any longer. AHHHH!!:eek:

I have seen magnetic printer paper at Kmart and Wal Mart, and I'm sure you could pick some up at any office supply store. I even saw Post It printer paper at the store, so that might be an option. I didn't get that because it said on the package that it's really sticky and I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to get off the door. I think leaving some paper on the door for people to sign is a really good idea also!! Maybe I'll include this in my door decorating.... :D

Yes please let me know if anyone takes your decorations. We will be cruising April 23.:)

I'd be more than happy to report back to you and let you know how the door decorating went for us. Looks like I'll have a small window to get the information to you. Then I'll be envious because you're off on your cruise and we'll be home already! :p

Archived