Local Beers

Lonedaddy

My experience has been the opposite; they almost always have local beers onboard; my current cruise on Splendor is first in memory without local beer.  In Australia not only did we have local beer from the start but they also picked up new wines and beers in ports. 

marc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

My experience has been the opposite; they almost always have local beers onboard; my current cruise on Splendor is first in memory without local beer.  In Australia not only did we have local beer from the start but they also picked up new wines and beers in ports. 

marc

On our cruises they have restocked with local wines, beer and even some sodas. Though I sm not a fan of the Asian version of ginger ale! It will curl your hair!

• Haha 1

I find it hit or miss.  For example, a prior cruise had stops in Chile.  Several cruises later (which I was on), we had an overabundance of Chilean wines but zip South American beers like Cristal from Chile.

On the other hand, on Regent cruises in Asia, the Carib and Europe, I have been pleasantly surprised "local" beers were offered. I remember Thailand's Singha, the Filipino San Miguel, Red Stripe from Jamaica, a Vietnamese beer, Peroni from Italy and, of course, a delicious Belgian Chimay. 

I think much depends on the need to replenish inventory, the ease of bringing local alcohol onboard in certain ports and the beverage manager's desire to expand beer offerings.  An odd quirk: sometimes specific beers were only available at certain bars (such as the pool bar) - so do ask around!  

• Like 1