Sailing with kids and photo id

serene56

I have 3 kids ages 15,16,17 and the site says school ID is acceptable.

There is no dates on the school ID

School ends in June    Our cruise is in August

is this school ID still acceptable 

Off the top of my head, I think under 16 only needs a birth certificate so that solves the problem for your 15 year old. I do not know the answer to your question on the school ID, but just for "life" purposes, I would say that if the 16 and 17 year old do not get a driver's license soon that they need to at least go get a state issued ID if not a passport.  I would be very hesitant to not have a kid of that age have some sort of photo ID even if it isn't a passport.  It will be much easier to get a state issued ID than a passport.  Since the school ID does not have an expiration date on it, I would think you would be ok if the CCL website says that they can sail with a school ID.  However, if it says 2022-23 or something like that...who knows?

FYI: If you are going to get them passports, you need to start now. The process is much more detailed and requires you to go in person with both parents (or provide a notarized affidavit if only one parent can go in person) to a center or certain post offices and when I got my kids their passports last year, they were backed up by months still from Covid.  Some centers were so far backed up that they didn't even have appointment slots online--I am talking a 6 to 9 month wait just for an appointment.  

Edited by Eli_6