Venice to/from Chioggia public transport option

fruitmachine

Most of us will use Google or similar and find that it takes may hours and multiple modes of transport to get between Venice and Chioggia.  That isn't the case.  There are two direct bus routes that inexplicably do not appear on Google maps, but seem to offer excellent transfer options, particularly if your hotel is near Piazzale Roma or on the mainland in Mestre or similar.  They are run by Arriva Veneto which is part of the giant transport group Deutsche Bahn.

Linea 80 runs as a regular service from Venice to Sottomarina via Mestre and Chioggia; and Linea 85 (less frequently) from Marco Polo Airport, joining the same southerly route in Mestre.  Full timetables are here: https://www.arrivaveneto.it/en/timetables/

It's probably easiest to stay on until the end of the route in Sottomarina, and then get a 2km taxi from Piazza Europa to the ship, rather than getting off early and hiking through what appears to be an industrial port, but others may have more direct experience, as will I after our April cruise when I'll post an update.

As the maps on Arriva Vento's website are very basic, I've worked out the routes from the timetables and they should be visible here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1GKnTzrLlOs04a7FwHDXhxyJ_rWUFDt4&usp=sharing  

I think the fare for the entire route is €6.40 each way if you buy from a machine, and  €9.50 if bought on the bus: https://www.arrivaveneto.it/en/tariffe-biglietti/

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I am disembarking Azamara Onward on Sat 17th June and looking at the 85 bus to the airport for an 11:15 departure to Rome. Very interested to see what time you dock and if It is possible to get off the ship before 7am as it docks at 6am. Like your tip to taxi to Piazza Europa as I was looking to walk to Via Naccari which didn't seem too far.

Interested to hear your outcome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, fruitmachine said:

Most of us will use Google or similar and find that it takes may hours and multiple modes of transport to get between Venice and Chioggia.  That isn't the case.  There are two direct bus routes that inexplicably do not appear on Google maps, but seem to offer excellent transfer options, particularly if your hotel is near Piazzale Roma or on the mainland in Mestre or similar.  They are run by Arriva Veneto which is part of the giant transport group Deutsche Bahn.

Linea 80 runs as a regular service from Venice to Sottomarina via Mestre and Chioggia; and Linea 85 (less frequently) from Marco Polo Airport, joining the same southerly route in Mestre.  Full timetables are here: https://www.arrivaveneto.it/en/timetables/

It's probably easiest to stay on until the end of the route in Sottomarina, and then get a 2km taxi from Piazza Europa to the ship, rather than getting off early and hiking through what appears to be an industrial port, but others may have more direct experience, as will I after our April cruise when I'll post an update.

As the maps on Arriva Vento's website are very basic, I've worked out the routes from the timetables and they should be visible here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1GKnTzrLlOs04a7FwHDXhxyJ_rWUFDt4&usp=sharing  

I think the fare for the entire route is €6.40 each way if you buy from a machine, and  €9.50 if bought on the bus: https://www.arrivaveneto.it/en/tariffe-biglietti/

Thank you for any updates.   We will be waiting to hear from you since we will be on a cruise this summer and are looking forward to hearing about your experience.  Thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, Travelingwithstyle said:

Thank you for any updates.   We will be waiting to hear from you since we will be on a cruise this summer and are looking forward to hearing about your experience.  Thank you very much. 

Sorry, I'm going to disappoint you on that!  Having worked out how to do it, I opted for a private transfer shared with two other couples.

But I am in contact with someone that's planning to take the #85 from the airport, so may have something to report on their experience.

48 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Sorry, I'm going to disappoint you on that!  Having worked out how to do it, I opted for a private transfer shared with two other couples.

But I am in contact with someone that's planning to take the #85 from the airport, so may have something to report on their experience.

No worries.  I think it is great that you have two other couples.  Maybe when we get closer to our sailing more people will want to do things together.  Thank you so much for replying so quickly.  I do appreciate it.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, Travelingwithstyle said:

No worries.  I think it is great that you have two other couples.  Maybe when we get closer to our sailing more people will want to do things together.  Thank you so much for replying so quickly.  I do appreciate it.

Would you please share what company/person you are using for the private transport.  I received a quote of 280 euros is that comparable to what you are being charged? Thank you!

On 4/12/2023 at 3:29 PM, fruitmachine said:

DKBDAR asked me the following but the question is for you. 

On 4/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, Travelingwithstyle said:

Would you please share what company/person you are using for the private transport.  I received a quote of 280 euros is that comparable to what you are being charged? Thank you!

On 4/14/2023 at 6:30 PM, fruitmachine said:

Less than half that from Mestre to Chioggia or return. 

http://www.taxichioggia.net/

I have sought 2 couples to share a private transfer  on the Onward 17th June disembarkation and have had no response. The roll call has been very inactive. I can get a private transfer for 125 euro.

I've been doing a little digging around and there is a train option.  It requires a connection and the times are somewhat limited, but it does exist.

Do you know the exact location of the pier in Chioggia?  With that I can at least show you what the train option would entail.

Edited to add:

Continuing to dig around, using the current docking position of the Azamara Journey as the location for cruise ships (my assumption, not fact) the distance from the Chioggia station is about 2km/one and a quarter miles.

Based on the number of trains in and out, this is not a really small station, but not a huge one either.  I don't think you could count on taxis waiting at the station but there is a bar right next to the station where someone would call one for you.

Edited by euro cruiser

3 hours ago, bosunboy said:

I have sought 2 couples to share a private transfer  on the Onward 17th June disembarkation and have had no response. The roll call has been very inactive. I can get a private transfer for 125 euro.

Wish we were on the same cruise.  We leave on May 13th.  How do you find the roll call, I looked on the website but did not see it...also where did you find a private transfer for that price...I am guessing it is $125 euros per couple?  TIA

On 4/12/2023 at 7:56 PM, Travelingwithstyle said:

On 4/12/2023 at 9:29 PM, fruitmachine said:

An update on my previous reply...

I spoke to the couple that were planning on getting the #85 from the airport, and it turns out that (having stayed a night in an airport hotel) the Azamara rep was in the airport terminal when they arrived back there in the morning.  They spoke to him/her and had no trouble getting the first Azamara transfer bus to the ship, despite not being booked on it.

So still no reports of actual experience of taking either of the local buses.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:50 PM, euro cruiser said:

Using public transit there is a somewhat complicated ferry and bus connection to Venice, or three buses if you want an entirely land routing.  Nothing about this is easy, unfortunately.

The Linea 80 is a direct bus from Venice, but it would probably require a 2km taxi from the terminus in Sottomarina, rather than getting off a little earlier but having to walk, because the nearest stop to the ship is in a residential area.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 12:23 AM, dkbdar said:

Wish we were on the same cruise.  We leave on May 13th.  How do you find the roll call, I looked on the website but did not see it...also where did you find a private transfer for that price...I am guessing it is $125 euros per couple?  TIA

City Airport Taxis quote

https://city-airport-taxis.com/airporttransfers/reservations/taxi-from-Chioggia-to-Venice-Airport?single=1&loc1_name=Chioggia+-+Italy&loc1=4919&loc2_name=Venice+Airport+-+Italy&loc2=658&pax1=2&date1=17%2F06%2F2023&date2=14%2F01%2F2023&quote=1&time1=07%3A00&time2=12%3A00

Thank you for your post. We will be there in October 2023 on Viking Saturn and are planning on staying two extra nights in Venice. Viking will not accommodate because we are extending our trip. I am very interested in what you find out. Truly appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 11:29 AM, fruitmachine said:

Thanks very much for posting this, @fruitmachine, especially your Google Map of the 85 bus's route. You confirmed what I had basically figured out for myself after a frustrating hour or so searching online. You and other posters also confirmed my decision to forget about the bus and just cab it from the airport to the ship next month. (We're on the July 12 Empires of the Mediterranean.)

Here's a question someone here might be able to answer. Should we book a cab before we get to the airport using one of the online services mentioned above, or can we just grab one when we arrive? We will be returning a rental car at the airport, and don't know exactly when we'll be arriving, So it would be easier for us not to have to commit to a specific time.

Is the cost of prebooking more or less than walking up to the cab line?

One more thing: we'll be driving the rental car from Venice to Slovenia and back that day. What's crossing the border like?

Thanks.

Edited by Commasense

2 hours ago, Commasense said:

One more thing: we'll be driving the rental car from Venice to Slovenia and back that day. What's crossing the border like?

I've not crossed that border, but did go to Austria from Italy.  All three are Schengen countries, and I'd expect about as much of a border as there is between (say) Massachusetts and Maine!.  But still make sure that the rental company know when you collect the car that you will be going to Slovenia. 

Also, if you plan to go on the Slovenian autoroutes, be sure you purchase a vignette in advance.  A quick Google shows that they are available online, though I bought my physical Austrian one at an Italian service station just before the border.

If you're returning the car to the multi-storey car park at Marco Polo Airport, be very careful to avoid damaging the sides on the concrete walls either side of the ramps between floors.  They have a very tight turn, and many cars had scrapes along the sides!

Thanks very much for the info about vignettes. I was briefly confused, because that word is not used in that sense here in the US. Our equivalent -- in some states -- is called EZ Pass, and it's an electronic transponder, not a sticker or virtual pass, as vignettes seem to be.

Looking at the official site, you can only get an e-vignette if you have the car's registration number, which I will obviously not have before I pick up the rental car. I'll try to see if the rental agency can provide me with one, or if I'll have to buy a physical one as you did before entering Slovenia.

How does the system work? Does it photograph the license plate or a physical sticker on the car? If the former, I assume I can just go online with my mobile and buy an e-vignette after getting the car?

Also, any suggestions for my question about getting cab at the airport?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Commasense said:

Thanks very much for the info about vignettes. I was briefly confused, because that word is not used in that sense here in the US. Our equivalent -- in some states -- is called EZ Pass, and it's an electronic transponder, not a sticker or virtual pass, as vignettes seem to be.

Looking at the official site, you can only get an e-vignette if you have the car's registration number, which I will obviously not have before I pick up the rental car. I'll try to see if the rental agency can provide me with one, or if I'll have to buy a physical one as you did before entering Slovenia.

How does the system work? Does it photograph the license plate or a physical sticker on the car? If the former, I assume I can just go online with my mobile and buy an e-vignette after getting the car?

Also, any suggestions for my question about getting cab at the airport?

Thanks again.

I'm sure the rental desk will have no idea what car you will get before pickup.  Marco Polo Airport has Wi-Fi, so you'll be able to buy an e-vignette before leaving the airport.  I'm not sure how they are enforced, other than reading that police were stopping potential miscreants before re-crossing the border and enforcing large on-the-spot fines.

For your taxi, with an uncertain pickup time, I suspect that your best (though perhaps most expensive) option will be to get a taxi at the airport.  See if the driver will agree a price rather than running the meter.  My hotel in Mestre indicated that it would be about €110 from there, so perhaps €130 from the airport.  But check in the terminal before you take a taxi, just in case your cruise line has a transfer bus with space.  I'm aware of someone that managed this after staying overnight at a local hotel.

Thanks for the quick reply and all the useful advice.

Sorry about the confusion regarding the rental car: I meant that the rental agency might be able to provide a vignette, not the registration number.

Thanks again.

• Like 1