I Don't Like the New Screens

MrPete

Well the boards are a lot slower for me since the change :(

I can get used to the new format, but jeez why sooo slow.

I was having the same problem. I made a few adjustments to a couple of my blockers and now the ads aren't so annoying and I'm moving a lot faster.

Well the boards are a lot slower for me since the change :(

I can get used to the new format, but jeez why sooo slow.

I don't mind the adds, but people will stop using this site if they are the cause of the slow down. This is crazy slow.

The site has definitely slooooooooowwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeedddddd way down since the side ads have show up. With them on the side, it is bothersome in viewing the posts as the screen is no longer centered.

Dave

Start using Firefox as your web browser! Its the only way to surf message boards because you can use your mouse wheel to click on links and it opens them in a new tab...very convenient for when you want to check out multiple posts. Firefox also allows the installation of extensions. I don't even see the new ads because I installed Adblock which blocks them out. Adblock has a bunch of different settings, one of which is important if you want to block the ads but still support cruise critic...you want to have "hide ad" selected as oppossed to "block ad". Cruise critic will still get whatever money they receive from it being "viewed" and it won't be obtrusive to the user. The one catch is if you are using the "hide ad" feature and are using a slow internet service your browsing will continue to be slow. Of course the other catch is blocking or hiding the ads reduces some income for cruise critic by reducing the amount of ads that get clicked. However, I think cruise critic would probably agree that they'd rather have you hide the ads than switch to a different board completely.

P.S. If you are interesting in Firefox you can get it at:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

As far as Adblock goes you can download it by clicking here (it may say something along the lines of it being "unsigned," just click install anyways):

http://adblock.ethereal.net/Adblock_v.5/adblock-05-dev.xpi

To install the adblock rules visit this site, then click on instructions.txt for step by step installation:

http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg/

Cheers :)

I didn't even notice those. Tells you how much attention I pay:rolleyes: .

I put them on ignore just like I do other sites that I visit. i don't pay a lot of attention to those ad's.

Has the site slowed down for you?

CAN YOU SAY SSSSLLLLOOOWWWWW!

I am getting annoyed.....

HEY MONITERS AND HOSTS>>>>>

IT is taking me minutes, not seconds, for the threads to open up because of CC's new ads.....SO FREAKING ANNOYING!

This cannot be acceptable!!!:eek:

...I pay good money for very highspeed satalite internet~

I feel like I just got down graded to dial up...

I cannot even imagine what the dial up users are going through!!!:(

Giving up for the day!:mad:

Has the site slowed down for you?

I haven't noticed it slowing down at all.

To be honest, I find the glowing signatures, long lists of ships, and wiggly anything on the posts much more annoying than the side ads will ever be.

There really is no need for anyone to have a signature which takes up half a page - who cares about it other than the poster???.

I haven't noticed it slowing down at all.

To be honest, I find the glowing signatures, long lists of ships, and wiggly anything on the posts much more annoying than the side ads will ever be.

There really is no need for anyone to have a signature which takes up half a page - who cares about it other than the poster???.

Go to User CP at the top of the page select options and turn signatures off.

I don't mind the adds . . . just wish they would put them somewhere where I can't see them! Tee Hee!!!! Are the "Ads by Google" and "Advertise on this site" also new (on the right and left above the top of this screen). I just sort of wish they would put all adds at either the top or bottom of the screen . . . :mad:

I'd rather give a donation. The Walt Disney Board that I am also a member of decided to charge folks a price to view "premium" content. You wouldn't believe how many people have paid to keep that site up and running AND ad free!!!!

I would go for paying a SMALL fee just to get those pesky ads off this site!!!

I'm not experiencing any slow down and certainly don't mind cruisecritic running some ad to pay the bills.

Clearly there are a whole lot of folks on this board who have absolutely no idea how astronomical the costs of running servers to house a site like this are.

It is a FREE service after all people, how can you begrudge the site owners from earning some scratch to keep it afloat or even put a few bucks in their own pockets?

Start using Firefox as your web browser! Its the only way to surf message boards because you can use your mouse wheel to click on links and it opens them in a new tab...very convenient for when you want to check out multiple posts. Firefox also allows the installation of extensions. I don't even see the new ads because I installed Adblock which blocks them out. Adblock has a bunch of different settings, one of which is important if you want to block the ads but still support cruise critic...you want to have "hide ad" selected as oppossed to "block ad". Cruise critic will still get whatever money they receive from it being "viewed" and it won't be obtrusive to the user. The one catch is if you are using the "hide ad" feature and are using a slow internet service your browsing will continue to be slow. Of course the other catch is blocking or hiding the ads reduces some income for cruise critic by reducing the amount of ads that get clicked. However, I think cruise critic would probably agree that they'd rather have you hide the ads than switch to a different board completely.

P.S. If you are interesting in Firefox you can get it at:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

As far as Adblock goes you can download it by clicking here (it may say something along the lines of it being "unsigned," just click install anyways):

http://adblock.ethereal.net/Adblock_v.5/adblock-05-dev.xpi

To install the adblock rules visit this site, then click on instructions.txt for step by step installation:

http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg/

Cheers :)

Thanks for the info.. I can remove the top ads. Can you tell me how to remove the side ads..

Well, CC has sold our email addresses, and is now selling more space on the website in order to keep the bills paid (not sure how much it takes to keep a computer running, but it can't be too much.) Not bad for a company that claims they don't sell cruises either.

Mark T

Hmmmmm, lets try to remember.....the boards are Free ! CC's gotta pay the rent (bandwidth) & (storage space) somehow !

Wonder how many people are following CC's request to "Spring Clean" their Signatures offall the extra images ?

Correct--ads will be more visable--and that pays the rent

Archived