Any cruises that leave from Baltimore now?

Laurba99

I know that my in-laws have been on the Century I think from Baltimore to Bermuda and back but wondering if they still run--and if any of the newer ships leave from there? (I would love to not have to pay for a flight!)

It would be wonderful if the the State of Maryland would spend the very much needed money to upgrade this Port so that many cruise lines would again return to Baltimore. Having it on the news 3 years ago that the Galaxy was grounded in the Harbor for over 6 hoursalong with the Poor Facilaties at the dock are the main reasons Baltimore has been left out. Hopefully our state will look at all the lost tax revenue and fix the port!

oh I was wondering why that changed-Thanks for that information-what a shame!!! It's the only port that makes sense for me to drive to from Potomac--so I guess it's worth the trip to Ft. Lauderdale to leave from Port Everglades--at least my parents live close by so they can drive us to the port! I hope that changes-I wonder if they have anyone working on that?

It would be wonderful if the the State of Maryland would spend the very much needed money to upgrade this Port so that many cruise lines would again return to Baltimore. Having it on the news 3 years ago that the Galaxy was grounded in the Harbor for over 6 hoursalong with the Poor Facilaties at the dock are the main reasons Baltimore has been left out. Hopefully our state will look at all the lost tax revenue and fix the port!

AMEN! From what my boyfriend tells me within the next couple of years (with red tape who knows how long that will be) a new cruise terminal will be built in Baltimore.

Norfolk is also driving distance from Potomac--about 3 hours. We went on HAL's Maasdam in December and had a great time. Carnival also sails from there. Radisson sailed from there last year but doesn't have any cruises scheduled from Norfolk this year that I saw. The port facilities are in the process of being renovated, so maybe there will be more cruise lines looking into using Norfolk as a regular port. I hope so.

The new cruise facility at Locust Point, closer to downtown and the airport, opens this May. Supposedly cost arount 2-3 million. Yes a more permanent facility would be nice. This will be a big impovement. In a perfect world the State would build a state of the art facility costing perhaps 30 -50 million. However with no firm commitments and long term contracts from the cruise lines, they are being cautious. Been to the Columbus Center lately?

The new cruise facility at Locust Point, closer to downtown and the airport, opens this May. Supposedly cost arount 2-3 million. Yes a more permanent facility would be nice. This will be a big impovement. In a perfect world the State would build a state of the art facility costing perhaps 30 -50 million. However with no firm commitments and long term contracts from the cruise lines, they are being cautious. Been to the Columbus Center lately?

I wasn't aware the new facility was that close to being a done deal. Can't say I have been to the Columbus center...period

I wasn't aware the new facility was that close to being a done deal. Can't say I have been to the Columbus center...period

To ChessBriar:

You are right--of course we COULD drive to NY but it's not worth the drive--4 hours plus a fortune to park there and then who wants to drive home 4 plus hours after the cruise-that is not what I call a vacation--I would SO MUCH rather pay to fly to FLA--different for me too because my whole family is in Florida--but that is why I said the only port I would drive to is Baltimore :)

Nikki, not sure if you understood my message in mentioning the Columbus Center. It's a white elephant built on Pier 5 in the Inner Harbor. I don't know how many millions were wasted on it, and what it is being used for now.

No one wants a beautiful new cruise terminal more than me. But despite throwing money away on other projects, the State is being very conservative when it comes to committing to a new cruise facility. I don't know if they need a long term contract from one of the cruise lines, and I don't know if any of the lines are willing to make such a commitment. I know they have in NYC, don't know about other cities. So at least there will be a new different terminal opening in May which will be a big improvement over the facility at Dundalk. Hopefully it will be a big hit with Royal Caribbean and in 2007 we will see more ships calling.

The new Cruise Facility in Baltimore should be nice. It will be open in time for the first sailing on May 12, 2006

I hope to be at the Grand Opening of the facility and will post photos here.

With 3 new Celebrity new builds over the next three years...I think we may have a good chance of getting back a Century Class vessel.

Radio

;) ;)

Amen, Laurba99! chessbriar, you have chosen to drive and if that's ok for you, fine...it's certainly not ok for us. Also, you cannot compare driving from Pittsburgh to Baltimore to driving from Potomac to NYC - entirely different ballgame! I would never get off a cruise ship and make a 4.5 + hour drive from NY to Baltimore. IMHO, what a horrible way to end a 9-night cruise! When we visit NYC, we take Amtrak and will be doing so for our September cruise out of Brooklyn on the new Crown Princess. ;)

To ChessBriar:You are right--of course we COULD drive to NY but it's not worth the drive--and then who wants to drive home 4 plus hours after the cruise-that is not what I call a vacation-----:)

We went on Galaxy twice when she was in town- 2003- 2004.. Western Caribbean to Belize (can you imagine, cruising from Baltimore to Belize-- what a trip!) and Eastern to St. Thomas & St. Maarten (we were there for the May Day Carnivale parades-- again, can you imagine doing this from Baltimore!??) What an absolute blast to originate from Baltimore-- cruising down the beautiful Chesapeake Bay-- under the Bay Bridge-- over the Bay/Bridge Tunnel-- and then out to sea. What a dream. We also cruised twice on Grandeur of Seas-- 2004- 2005-- both in hurricanes! first one diverted us to Bermuda, Labadee & Bahamas (labadee is amazing..) and second-- well, yeah, we were the trip that lost a day to Ophelia-- then ended up cruising to Cozumel in Rita & Cape Canaveral (yawn).. done with Grandeur-- just can't hold a candle to Celebrity.. So we have to trek up the turnpike to catch Zenith.

PLEASE POSITION A CELEBRITY SHIP IN BMORE!!! Canton also looks to be home of a new cruise terminal. Ed Hale is unveiling new office complex- my office is moving there October 2006.. (1stMariner Bank Headqtrs) & phase IV includes 2 berths for 1,000 foot + ships-- check it out http://cantoncrossing.com/features.html). Directly across from Ft McHenry-- home of the Star Spangled banner-- what a view. Remember all you cruise lines out there-- Baltimore was the leading port during the birth of our country for a reason-- its naturally deep water & protected channels which helped spawn so many major cities-- today, we are smack dab in the middle of the most densely populated region- representing the southern tip of the US Megalopolis, we are less than 100 miles from tens of millions of people-- all with pretty decent incomes thanks to our proximity to some of our country's largest cities scattered along Interstate 95. Don't sell us short. We really do not mind leaving from a warehouse in Dundalk or a brand spanking new terminal-- after all-- don't you recall all the cruises from Baltimore post-911 were in fact at capacity. I find it hard to believe that we've gone from 5 top cruise lines to 1 ship. I have yet to talk to another passenger who has actually complained about the port.. in fact, most of the cruises were approx 30%+ Euro/UK/Canada passengers-- they loved combo time touring Washington DC, Annapolis & Baltimore-- then setting sail on a Caribbean cruise. OK, you get my point. Some more cruise options, please.

Archived