Questions about El Loco Fresh and Freedom OTS

Pellaz

So, I'll be going on a large music charter on Freedom OTS in about three weeks; 70,000 Tons of Metal.  60 bands, 4 stages, and they build "the largest open-air structure at sea."   

Previously, this charter has used the Majesty (r.i.p.) from 2011-2014, the Liberty in 2015, and then the Independence from 2016-2020. 

This will be the first charter sailing since COVID and we're on a brand-new ship...with a brand-new venue, El Loco Fresh.    So, I'm kinda asking for about 3,000 other people since very few of them are active on CruiseCritic, or actively take cruises. 

In fact, only about 20-25% of our cruisers are from the US; all the rest are from Canada, Germany, the UK and then numerous other countries, and this goes for the bands and their crews as well.  It's a very international cruise and quite unique.

Anyway....  How does El Loco Fresh work?   Do you choose your ingredients and then the burritos or tacos (I presume) are made to your specs?  I'm used to that at Blue Iguana Cantina on Carnival's ships (and they're awesome, too!).   Or is it more of a grab-n-go venue?  Is there a toppings bar?    

Also, do they serve any breakfast there, or is it just lunch and (maybe) dinner hours?   

This might also be our first experience with any dining options at Playmakers.  I realize there's an a la carte charge; what are their hours?   Are the menus there standardized across all ships? 

I've been a little dismayed at the relative lack of dining options on the Independence over the years.  Granted, Sorrentos and the Promenade Café should be opened 24 hours for us, but there just aren't that many free/included options.   The WJ may also be open for us late-night (11pm - 2am) but close during dinner hours; that's how it was back in 2020.  

Any other insights about the Freedom vis a vis the Indy are also welcome.  I'm aware that Freedom DOES have Starlink installed although actual Wi-Fi speeds have varied widely, per other threads here on CC.  

Thanks!

Edited by Pellaz
Die, parentheses, die!

I was on Freedom for her first cruise after amplification. El Loco Fresh is on the pool deck. It's kind of like a cafeteria layout, you start and one end and work your way to the other, grabbing the food you want along the way. IIRC they have both options. There will be pre-made, wrapped food (tacos, burritos etc.) or you can build your own. There is a topping/condiment bar at the end of the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I was on Freedom for her first cruise after amplification. El Loco Fresh is on the pool deck. It's kind of like a cafeteria layout, you start and one end and work your way to the other, grabbing the food you want along the way. IIRC they have both options. There will be pre-made, wrapped food (tacos, burritos etc.) or you can build your own. There is a topping/condiment bar at the end of the line.

Yes, the pre-made stuff is sort of "grab and go" although you still stand in line. Build your own is great, but be aware there's limited seating. This venue is popular with the pool deck and sports deck people because it's so convenient.  A lot of people make big piles of nachos and try to carry it back to their pool chairs. That's fun to watch. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

Is this free? We were on Independence  a month ago and there was a board next to the restaurant with prices on it.

El Loco Fresh is free, yes.

Independence doesn’t have El Loco Fresh so you must be confusing it with another venue.

15 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

El Loco Fresh is free, yes.

Thanks for the info, y'all.   At least it will be something different.

15 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Independence doesn’t have El Loco Fresh so you must be confusing it with another venue.

Maybe Fish'n'Ships?  It's on the Indy's pool deck and is likely NOT free.  

I suspect their selection of "ships" is quite poor, also.  Their selection of dinghies or speedboats doubtless leaves MUCH to be desired, let alone a 44-gun heavy frigate or a 74-gun third-rate.  😉