NEXUS Advice

cmaleblanc

Hi everyone, 

I've been thinking about a NEXUS, and while I know that no one can predict the future I'm hoping someone with experience can provide some advice. With traveling starting again, I've decided I want to look at getting a NEXUS card, we travel frequently and the quick pass and Pre-Check are of interest to me. That being said I'm located in Newfoundland, so we have no station here for the interview. We have a planned trip to Nova Scotia in June/July and I was thinking of putting in an application and booking an appointment in the Halifax location, but it seems like most of the other Canadian locations this one is not taking interviews. 

My question is how quickly do you need to complete an interview once you have you conditional approval, or whatever steps is needed pre-interview? It's not easy or cheap to get off the island, and I don't fancy spending an extra $1000 to fly to another province JUST for an interview, so I'm trying to align with a work or personal trip. I have another trip to Sask. in September, but doesn't look like they have a interview site in that province. 

Should we forget about the NEXUS for now, and wait until things get back...to whatever we are calling normal now?

Thanks all!  

I know that Trudeau and Biden were discussing Nexus at their Mexico summit so hopefully they will be opening more places for interviews to be done. Years ago I did my interview at the Halifax airport but it was much easier then to schedule an appointment and I was living in NS at the time. I would just wait and see what developments come from the meeting before  scheduling anything. 

17 hours ago, kellk said:

Thanks! Yes I was reading about these changes super exciting, if they allow us to do the CDN interview at CBSA offices, I hope they include the one here in St.John's. We always fly through Ontario, so we can complete our interview on our way across, during our 5hr lay over we seem to always get when trying to leave from Newfoundland! Exciting. 

23 hours ago, cmaleblanc said:

Hi everyone, 

I've been thinking about a NEXUS, and while I know that no one can predict the future I'm hoping someone with experience can provide some advice. With traveling starting again, I've decided I want to look at getting a NEXUS card, we travel frequently and the quick pass and Pre-Check are of interest to me. That being said I'm located in Newfoundland, so we have no station here for the interview. We have a planned trip to Nova Scotia in June/July and I was thinking of putting in an application and booking an appointment in the Halifax location, but it seems like most of the other Canadian locations this one is not taking interviews. 

My question is how quickly do you need to complete an interview once you have you conditional approval, or whatever steps is needed pre-interview? It's not easy or cheap to get off the island, and I don't fancy spending an extra $1000 to fly to another province JUST for an interview, so I'm trying to align with a work or personal trip. I have another trip to Sask. in September, but doesn't look like they have a interview site in that province. 

Should we forget about the NEXUS for now, and wait until things get back...to whatever we are calling normal now?

Thanks all!  

I would do the application and then hopefully the interview stuff sorts itself out sooner than later.  I don't think you're at much risk of timing out for an interview.

• 2 months later...

I echo the previous poster.  Get your application in. Pay the $50 bucks.  Heck, even better,  apply for a CIBC Infinite Gold card, and CIBC will credit you $50 bucks on payment of the application.  Whole family has had the cards for years and years as long as they have been available.  Made our lives so much easier in and out of the USA.  No taking off shoes, belts, all that jazz.  Avoided all those long silly lines.  Renewal for family members came up prior to pandemic and we did the renewal applications on line and everyone got approved fully but me.  Huh. I I was conditional and needed an interview. Really.  Then my interview got cancelled days after pandemic was declared Mar 11 2020 and I had to reschedule 5 times only to be cancelled each time and finally a card arrives in the mail not having an interview at all after all.  So this are happening for people who have had their little renewals in limbo for 3 years.  But apply in any event as this silliness will be long going.  Ha ha.  

Thanks, everyone! with the announcement of more offices opening up, I think I'll move forward with the NEXUS plan. I travel so infrequently to the main land that it's hard to pre-plan a stop at a land boarder, and with the new Airport Rules, we need to be flying internationally to get that part done. So, I'll plan that for our next trip. 

Thanks, @pink845 We actually have that already! One of the reasons I got the card 🙂