[Caribbean] internet packages. Are there multiple speed pricing tiers? vpn? personal router?

amix

My travel agent seems to believe there is a single internet package.  I bought it.  I want my basic messaging apps (Monal, email), video call (FaceTime, Threema) and audio phone calls.   Is there enough bandwidth for video calls?

Is it flat rate?  Or am I buying a bucket of high speed data like most mobile carriers?

I will be bringing my own travel router for VPN encrypted wifi (WireGuard, azire/airvpn).  Are outbound connection ports badly restricted like some hotel chains?  

1 hour ago, amix said:

Is it flat rate?

It's unlimited, or rather only limited by available bandwidth. The speed mostly depends on the satellite constellation in use at the time. Princess used to use MEO satellites and speed was good. Lately they seem to have mostly been using GEO satellites, and speeds have been poor and pings worse.

I have used vpns and travel routers on Princess in the past without problems. On the router you would need to configure a captive portal pass through.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, amix said:

I will be bringing my own travel router for VPN encrypted wifi (WireGuard, azire/airvpn).  Are outbound connection ports badly restricted like some hotel chains?  

VPN can be restricted on cruise ships. I tried to use a VPN on Symphony of the Seas and it didn't work, but Royal Caribbean, Carnival and others have stated VPNs are not supported. While NCL does support VPNs but only on their premium internet package. As Princess is a part of Carnival, my assumption would be the official policy is VPNs are not supported, but your mileage may vary  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The speed mostly depends on the satellite constellation in use at the time.

and also on the phone model.

My DH was able to listen to Spotify on his Galaxy S22, but in the same spot my Galaxy S20 FE wasn't even loading Yahoo email... We switched the same one device plan between phones and a tablet. I didn't even try my Galaxy S9...