Review of Wind.....2/18-3/1 Great time

We just got back from our 11-day cruise on the Wind. All in all we had a great time. The sea was (very) rough a few days, but hey, its the Pacific ocean in Feb!!! After I had my "sea sick injection"(and I won't tell you where they inject it...:o ) and continued on Bonine tablets I was fine the rest of the cruise. Yes, there were some mechanical problems, the power went out for 15 minutes. I know it was only 15 minutes because I had just gotten into the shower, washed my face, and had just gotten shampoo on my head and wham!! Who turned out the lights...:D ! So I patiently waited and finally everything was a-ok again! I'm just glad I wasn't in the elevator. We were late for most ports (except the last day getting back to Honolulu........lol). But we had a great time. This was our first cruise, but I'm sure there is no such thing as a "perfect" cruise. We loved every minute of it! We had a different towel animal in our room every other day(not that we would of care if we hadn't), the ship was kept very clean and neat. We thought the beds were very comfortable and had no trouble sleeping at all. The food was very good. All of the servers, room stewards, etc were smiling and friendly with the exception of a couple of sour puckers, but you gotta expect a few of them. :rolleyes: We loved Lahainia, and went to the Old Lahainia Luau the first day we were there. It was fantastic. The 2nd day on Lahainia we just shopped and ate a late lunch at Bubba Gumps. Again, the atmosphere, service and food were fantastic. We just had a blast!!! We did go to the Sea Circus and sat there for 45 min. but they couldn't get the curtain up(but they did put on another show the next day). So the comedian came out and he was hilarious, then we went to the chocoholic....yummy! The choc. sculptures were amazing.

We saw quite a few whales from the ship. I packed too much junk. I never used the power strip, extra hangers (20 already in the closet + about 6 shelves in there) duct tape, etc. Anyone with questions please feel free to asked. Oh and I won $275 in Bingo.....yahoo! :eek:

Nice to hear you enjoyed your cruise, even though there were a few minor problems. We are scheduled for our first cruise on the Wind in May as well. I was wondering what cabin you were in? We will be on the star deck ( forward)...and hoping the trip to Alaska is a calm one..lol How is the Wind for motion? Thanks ;) Oh yeah...glad you mentioned the hangers...now I can leave mine home.:)

Nice to hear you enjoyed your cruise, even though there were a few minor problems. We are scheduled for our first cruise on the Wind in May as well. I was wondering what cabin you were in? We will be on the star deck ( forward)...and hoping the trip to Alaska is a calm one..lol How is the Wind for motion? Thanks ;) Oh yeah...glad you mentioned the hangers...now I can leave mine home.:)

I thought there was alot of motion(at times) on the boat, but it was my first cruise so maybe that is normal(and prone to motion sickness...blah :( ). There was also liquid shampoo and liquid shower gel in the shower, and a soap dispenser by the bathroom sink( + a small bar of soap). I would bring hair conditioner if you use it. We were in cabin 6050, we tried to stay towards the middle of the ship. Any other questions please ask. Have fun on your cruise and let me know how it was. My dh wants to go to Alaska some day......:p

Another :confused: for you...there is so much talk on alcohol etc..;) was wondering if you could tell me what the prices are like on the Wind? Beer/wine/mixed drinks? We are not big drinkers but would still like to know what to estimate for drinks.

Also, what are the hairdryers like, don't want to haul mine with me if I don't need to.

If you can think of any other info that may benefit "first timers" please pass it along...always welcome...:)

Thanks again for your responses.

The price of alcohol just depended on what you got. A smoothie approx. $9.00. Drinks served in their souvenir glasses were $1.00 off .(of course you have to buy the glass first, then carry it around to have it refilled). Bloody marys, screwdrivers, mimosa's were usually the specials of the day for $4.25 (smaller glasses tho).I usually got bloody marys in the souvenir glass for $6.90. Beer I dont' know:confused: . I thought the hair dryers worked very well. Yes, we made it to Fanning Island and we loved it. Right before we left Nawiliwili tho, an ambulance pulled up at the dock. Then the crew took a woman off the ship in the wheelchair and into the ambulance. A few minutes later we sailed off for Fanning. So maybe if she wouldn't of gotten off when she did, we wouldn't of made it to Fanning:eek: . My dh and I thought Fanning Island was definitely worth the 2 days at sea. On Lahainia, we had to be back on the ship by 10 pm on the first day. The second we had to be back on the ship by 7:30 pm. There was a craft fair in the park the first day we were there. I saw a few things I wanted, but decided to wait til the next day to buy them.......but the vendors weren't there the next day.:mad: So if you see something you like, buy it!!!!! The tenders run all the time you are on the islands, just be sure to be back on ship at the recommended time.

The price of alcohol just depended on what you got. A smoothie approx. $9.00. Drinks served in their souvenir glasses were $1.00 off .(of course you have to buy the glass first, then carry it around to have it refilled). Bloody marys, screwdrivers, mimosa's were usually the specials of the day for $4.25 (smaller glasses tho).I usually got bloody marys in the souvenir glass for $6.90. Beer I dont' know:confused: . I thought the hair dryers worked very well. Yes, we made it to Fanning Island and we loved it. Right before we left Nawiliwili tho, an ambulance pulled up at the dock. Then the crew took a woman off the ship in the wheelchair and into the ambulance. A few minutes later we sailed off for Fanning. So maybe if she wouldn't of gotten off when she did, we wouldn't of made it to Fanning:eek: . My dh and I thought Fanning Island was definitely worth the 2 days at sea. On Lahainia, we had to be back on the ship by 10 pm on the first day. The second we had to be back on the ship by 7:30 pm. There was a craft fair in the park the first day we were there. I saw a few things I wanted, but decided to wait til the next day to buy them.......but the vendors weren't there the next day.:mad: So if you see something you like, buy it!!!!! The tenders run all the time you are on the islands, just be sure to be back on ship at the recommended time.

We are booked on the Wind in Oct this year. DO they tender into all the ports and if so how long did it take you to get off the ship? We just got back from E. Caribeen on NCL Sun and had to tender on all ports except Tortolla which is a small Island in BVI. We want to get as much time as possible on land when we get to ports.

Quakerman

On the 11 day itinerary we dock in Hilo and Nawiliwili (Kauai) and tender in Lanaina, Fanning Islalnd and Kona according to the NCL itinerary details. We are thinking about shore excursions where we anchor (tender). This usually puts you in the first group off the ship.

We just got back from our 11-day cruise on the Wind. All in all we had a great time. The sea was (very) rough a few days, but hey, its the Pacific ocean in Feb!!! After I had my "sea sick injection"(and I won't tell you where they inject it...:o ) and continued on Bonine tablets I was fine the rest of the cruise. Yes, there were some mechanical problems, the power went out for 15 minutes. I know it was only 15 minutes because I had just gotten into the shower, washed my face, and had just gotten shampoo on my head and wham!! Who turned out the lights...:D ! So I patiently waited and finally everything was a-ok again! I'm just glad I wasn't in the elevator. We were late for most ports (except the last day getting back to Honolulu........lol). But we had a great time. This was our first cruise, but I'm sure there is no such thing as a "perfect" cruise. We loved every minute of it! We had a different towel animal in our room every other day(not that we would of care if we hadn't), the ship was kept very clean and neat. We thought the beds were very comfortable and had no trouble sleeping at all. The food was very good. All of the servers, room stewards, etc were smiling and friendly with the exception of a couple of sour puckers, but you gotta expect a few of them. :rolleyes: We loved Lahainia, and went to the Old Lahainia Luau the first day we were there. It was fantastic. The 2nd day on Lahainia we just shopped and ate a late lunch at Bubba Gumps. Again, the atmosphere, service and food were fantastic. We just had a blast!!! We did go to the Sea Circus and sat there for 45 min. but they couldn't get the curtain up(but they did put on another show the next day). So the comedian came out and he was hilarious, then we went to the chocoholic....yummy! The choc. sculptures were amazing.

We saw quite a few whales from the ship. I packed too much junk. I never used the power strip, extra hangers (20 already in the closet + about 6 shelves in there) duct tape, etc. Anyone with questions please feel free to asked. Oh and I won $275 in Bingo.....yahoo! :eek:

Sally of the Sea... How did you get to the Old Lahaina Luau? Did you rent a car? Who with and how convenient was it?

Cruise Family

We rented a cab to go to the Old Lahaina Luau. There are cabs parked in front of the old court house, (which is right by the dock so you can't miss them). I think it was about $8.00. There are also cabs waiting in the front of the luau when it is over. You can also walk there if you have enough time. We did do the Les Bistro restaurant because we had the Anniversary Package which it included. We did pay the extra $5 for the Turf & Surf and it was excellent.

Archived