MSC plans to become biggest cruise line. Will Carnival and the others prevent this from happening?

CarnivalShips480

11 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

Carnival is bleeding cash, old outdated ships.

NCL is cutting back but still an awesome cruise line

RCCL is interested in making Mega Ships.  

MSC can do what they want, they have the deepest pockets.

Competition is always good for the consumer.

Your last two sentences make sense.  The first three paint with a wide brush that is inaccurate.  

MSC has the most financial flexibility because they have no shareholders to worry about and the cargo shipping division was not shutdown due to Covid.

RCI is not the only cruise line with mega ships, what do you consider the two World Class ships from MSC?  And all 26 ships from Carnival are not outdated. The Excel Class can compete with the best that MSC can offer to the average cruiser.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2023 at 1:23 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

More than likely true, but MSC could take some of it's older ships and place them in the secondary cruise markets that Carnival monopolizes such as Mobile, Charleston, & Norfolk or with limited competitors such as Tampa & Baltimore in order to have a price war. 

I would actually Love to see MSC come to Baltimore. Right now there are only 2 options, Royal and Carnival, both older ships. MSC could definitely do well if they decide to sail some of their smaller ships out of Baltimore.

I suspect MSC weighs the flight access for Homeports when moving ships around.  With perhaps half of the guests flying from Europe, air is important.  And what local attractions might appeal to those guests.  They might like Charleston for the history, but not a large airport, and  Charleston isn’t interested in a budget cruise line.  I think local pressure, complaining that guests were not spending much locally led to them not renewing contract with Carnival.  They are happy for the luxury lines to make port calls there.

Jacksonville could handle Lirica class and maybe Musica class depending on air draft.  I’m good for Tampa and Mobile…. EM

• Like 2