Why I Choose Oceania for my 1st Mediterranean Cruise by an Oceania Newbie

Sthrngary

10 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Wife and I are mid-to-late 50s and did our 2 O cruises in 12/2021 (Riviera) and 11/2022 (Sirena). We felt young. Average age seemed around 70+. BUT we had a great time and met many interesting people. Whether around the pool or in the restaurants. We did our own excursions. Don't do the shows, other than the comics. I do enjoy the lecturers (wife doesn't). What was great was essentially NO infants, children, teenagers, or 20tysomethings. This is an adult cruise for well behaved adults. Ships seemed pretty dead by about 2230 hours. I walked every deck both times on the first evening at around 0400 and there was nobody up or out on either (other than the guest photographer artist in residence out by the pool on Riviera).

Only time "age" was an issue on the ship was in the Terrace Cafe buffet on Sirena when 3 people clogged the crowded middle portion with 3 walkers! And there was also one motorized scooter in the TC when the starboard sliding door to the aft outside area was broken for days, as he tried to negotiate up the incline to get outside aft on the port side.

AND beware passenger sickness issues impacting your itineraries. We had to stop off Key West on Riviera to offload a very elderly gentleman for medical issues. He looked like the near-death Boris Karloff in Plan 9 From Outer Space. And we lost out on our St. Kitts stay off Sirena because someone had a medical emergency off the Dominican Republic and it took us hours to use our own tender craft to get him to the port dock in Puerto Plaza. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. I know that medical emergencies can happen at any time, on any ship. I wouldn't be upset over those. You have to take care of whomever needs it, regardless of what it means to others. The lack of kids sounds great. We have three kids, ages 15, 20 and 21, so we don't mind them, but on some vacations, we like to be kid free!

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

...We have three kids, ages 15, 20 and 21, so we don't mind them, but on some vacations, we like to be kid free!

Mine are 30 and 32. And I've been enjoying kid-free vacations for about 12 or so years. Son went into Navy on his 18th birthday (and is still in it) and my daughter went to university while still 17 (got her BA at 20, then her MA at 22). They can do their own. 😉 

• Like 1

@Sthrngary

I loved your write up especially based on your past Cruise experiences, JMHO, your Riviera cruise should be an awesome introduction to O. I am terrible with spreadsheets but you have shown something that Oceania has preached forever, VALUE. That is what we love about Oceania, we know what to expect and have not had to spend hours and hours doing comparison shopping for a cruise. I’m Not an all consumed Bargain Hunter looking to save the last nickel, I just want a great product and value for my money.  My research starts and ends with Oceaniacruises.com and Find My Cruise. 😇. We have found our home and our cruise families.
What you must add to your research is to meet early on with the Oceania Club Ambassador on board, they can become a GREAT friend. ALWAYS BOOK ONE OR MORE CRUISES ON BOARD, $250 Deposits, DISCOUNTS, SBC AND PERKS! We make sure to book trips as far out as possible (2 years) and then if another trip pops up that entices us, we SWAP it and use the discounts. The Oceania Loyalty Club is one of the BEST in the industry, loved earning a Free 2 week cruise 💵🍷🙏. Mark your calendar for the normally scheduled Oceania Sales, some are better than others, Free Upgrades are NICE but know the best Oceania prices are at the time of the itineraries release, something contrary to the industry. You get the Best Price Guarantee so take advantage of those booking opportunities. 

We were on Riviera coming out of Covid for 46 days and before her Reimagining but from pictures and comments we have read, she is awesome. We just finished 20 days on Marina, excellent South America/Antarctic cruise, a three year effort at a Bucket List trip.  Now we prepare for our introduction to Vista on the Founders Cruise in Rome. We expect nothing less than amazing times 2. 

Enjoy Riviera and I know you will ENJOY yourselves and the Oceania guests AND the staff. Make a friend, they are wonderful. We reconnected with staff we met in 2007 and 2013 as youngsters, today they are accomplished Butler’s and Head Sommelier. In Red Ginger we reconnected with staff who virtually crushed us in a “hug” because she /they were so happy to see us again after years apart. Just genuinely wonderful people who make Oceania special. 

OK, enough of my comments, ENJOY. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

18 hours ago, njsmom said:

Informative post, thank you. In your research, did you determine the average age of Oceania passengers vs. Viking vs. Seabourne, etc? I'm trying to determine that. My husband and I are 51 and 55 and want to make sure we fit in with the passengers on the cruise line we choose. 

@njsmom If I have learned anything, Age is not the issue.  Unless you want water slides, Go Carts, Lasor tag kind of activities.  When my wife 63 and I 65 want that, we go on a mega main stream ship.  The research I did showed the average age of 55.  Not sure that is right.  

What mattered more was an elevated cruise experience.  Please remember, we all get what we pay for. Oceania seems to be between Premium and Ultra-Luxury.  I call that Premium-Plus/Luxury.  My research and this blog uniquely attempts to make it clear not to create a expectation of Ultra-Luxury because Oceania attempts to thread the needle if you will.  Instead of all inclusive like lets say Regent Seven Seas, it gives choices which than allows for eliminated items that drive up the fare.  

Your question is about age, I think I have kind of over answered it.  Hope from my research, not real world experience that answers your question. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

@Sthrngary

I loved your write up especially based on your past Cruise experiences, JMHO, your Riviera cruise should be an awesome introduction to O. I am terrible with spreadsheets but you have shown something that Oceania has preached forever, VALUE. That is what we love about Oceania, we know what to expect and have not had to spend hours and hours doing comparison shopping for a cruise. I’m Not an all consumed Bargain Hunter looking to save the last nickel, I just want a great product and value for my money.  My research starts and ends with Oceaniacruises.com and Find My Cruise. 😇. We have found our home and our cruise families.
What you must add to your research is to meet early on with the Oceania Club Ambassador on board, they can become a GREAT friend. ALWAYS BOOK ONE OR MORE CRUISES ON BOARD, $250 Deposits, DISCOUNTS, SBC AND PERKS! We make sure to book trips as far out as possible (2 years) and then if another trip pops up that entices us, we SWAP it and use the discounts. The Oceania Loyalty Club is one of the BEST in the industry, loved earning a Free 2 week cruise 💵🍷🙏. Mark your calendar for the normally scheduled Oceania Sales, some are better than others, Free Upgrades are NICE but know the best Oceania prices are at the time of the itineraries release, something contrary to the industry. You get the Best Price Guarantee so take advantage of those booking opportunities. 

We were on Riviera coming out of Covid for 46 days and before her Reimagining but from pictures and comments we have read, she is awesome. We just finished 20 days on Marina, excellent South America/Antarctic cruise, a three year effort at a Bucket List trip.  Now we prepare for our introduction to Vista on the Founders Cruise in Rome. We expect nothing less than amazing times 2. 

Enjoy Riviera and I know you will ENJOY yourselves and the Oceania guests AND the staff. Make a friend, they are wonderful. We reconnected with staff we met in 2007 and 2013 as youngsters, today they are accomplished Butler’s and Head Sommelier. In Red Ginger we reconnected with staff who virtually crushed us in a “hug” because she /they were so happy to see us again after years apart. Just genuinely wonderful people who make Oceania special. 

OK, enough of my comments, ENJOY. 

Mauibabes

@mauibabes Thank you for a well written outline/post.  It was very helpful and appreciated.

6 hours ago, Quinte Girl said:

Thank you for your informative, interesting post!  We are looking forward to our first O cruise in May! 

6 hours ago, Quinte Girl said:

Thank you for your informative, interesting post!  We are looking forward to our first O cruise in May! 

@Quinte Girl Your are more than welcome.