New to river cruise. Riviera. Danube and Prague.

warrington

Welcome to the river cruising board with the great news of your first river cruise. Exciting. What is your embarkation port?

From your post I assume you have read the stickies (pinned threads) so just a few tips from me. Do check the weather. It can vary a lot in April, I started my cruise on a late winter day in April - so to speak - and ended it with Spring in the air. Rainy and windy perhaps, good shoes a must. Be prepared for rafting of two ships together.

Which ship will you be on if I may ask? I find all the Riviera ships I have spotted on the Rhine to look really good.

Prague is an amazing city and others can tell you a lot about it (my memory is hazy, too long ago).

I very much like Passau, I recommend the organ in St. Stephen's Cathedral. If you have time listen to the organ recitals for a while. I am a fan of Art Nouveau architecture and was drawn to the Secession building and other buildings of its kind in Vienna. Loved Belvedere Palace but only managed to see the outside. Budapest just fabulous. Some here have recommended booking a tour of the Parliament building.

If you feel like it, start a roll call. And perhaps you might like to tell us a bit about your cruise after your trip here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2507713-all-things-riviera-travel-uk/page/2/

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

Hi. I have done several river cruises with Riviera and have found them invariably very good in pretty much all respects. A few things to be aware of. Firstly, all excursions are included in the price and there are no additional "opt in and pay" ones, which means that you might find the excursions a little limited/ restrictive. That said, docking places are often within walking distance of towns so it's usually easy enough to branch out on your own with the maps that Riviera provide - just be sure to get back to the boat in good time. Second thing is that tips aren't included and the usual recommendation is 10 euros pp per day, so you need to allow for that. Third thing is that drinks aren't included with meals unless you buy the drinks package. I have spoken with a number of people who have bought the package and they have had mixed views as to whether they have got good value - being a non-drinker they are definitely not for me. I usually go to a supermarket on the first day and buy myself juice, sodas, sparking water to keep in my room fridge for drinking during the day. Riviera caters primarily for the British market so you don't get a mix of nationalities as with some other companies. That has its pluses and drawbacks.

As to "must dos", it depends on your interests (and also weather!).  I very much liked both Budapest and Vienna for their architecture, variety of things to do, cafes and general city vibe. What is the furthest point you'll be sailing?

7 hours ago, Queen of my Heart said:

Third thing is that drinks aren't included with meals unless you buy the drinks package

Riviera's press adverts have been saying that drinks are included/ I've just gone to their website which says

Free enhanced drinks package with all July and August European river cruises

14 hours ago, Queen of my Heart said:

Sometimes they do offer them as an incentive but it's not the norm for them.

Indeed. I was under the impression from the press advertisemants that it was a general policy chnage but I thought I should check my memory against their website and I was dissapointed to see that it was a very limited offer.

European river ruising is now so competitive cruise lines are increasingly adding enhancementsto their offerings.. When we first went with Viking we had had to pay gratuities, now its included. Last year, this year and next we are also get the drinks package thrown in.

But offerings differ depending on the market.

Riviera's usual policy of not including drinks will appeal to the many who don't drink themselves, and don't see why they should subsidise other people necking alcohol. Me - I'll take advantage of the wine list. 🙂