Santorini Volcano and Hot Springs

andrewk8511

Hi,

We are going on our first ever cruise on Odyssey of the seas in August round the Greek Isles. 

I've been recommended to go on an excursion in Santorini that takes you for a walk round a part of the volcano with active craters - steam and the such. Then for a swim through some warm springs in the sea. 

I can't see this anywhere on the list of excursions offered by RCI, am I looking too early? Do they add further excursions as the year goes on? Or is this no longer a thing? 

Thanks 

I think that the hot springs and active volcano is on Nea Kameni or Palia Kameni, which as two small islands in the caldera.  

I can't tell you much about it, because we dropped the idea of going there early on.  The problem is that there is so much to see on Santorini, that visiting either Kameni would take a big chunk of your short time.  We decided that it was not worth it for us.

2 hours ago, andrewk8511 said:

Thanks for the info.

Slightly off topic, but what are the recommendations for Santorini? From my research it appears that an excursion, any excursion, is necessary just to avoid the cable car queue! 

Not entirely, Andrew.......

Alternatives to going up the cliff to Fira by cable car are going up the zig-zag path on the back of a donkey (they're actually mules) costing about the same as the cablecar, or a local ferry (some call it a "speedboat") to the village of Oia where the road comes down to the harbour  and there's a local bus service up to the village - I think the bus fare is still included in the ferry fare.

But there might be a queue for the donkeys, most folk wouldn't relish the arduous walk up the zig-zag path, and the ferry tends to wait until it's full - so there's no sure-fire alternative.

All of that is avoided for those taking a ship's excursion, because a different set of tender boats take those excursionists to the ferry-port of Athinios, where they board their tour bus.

But most cruise ship excursions end at Fira, at the top of the cliff, and it's your responsibility to descend to the regular tender pier along with the independents. There can be  a long queue (an hour and more isn't unusual) for the cablecar down, but for the tolerably-mobile the 25-mnute walk down the zig-zag path isn't a big deal. So for those folk I suggest getting to the top cablecar station at least say 40 minutes before last-tender time, and if there's a long queue switch to walking down the zig-zag path.

Apols if I'm teching grannie to suck eggs, but bear in mind that "last tender time" (usually 60 mins before the advertised sailing time) is the latest time you should be at the tender pier - not the time you have to be back on the ship or even the time you have to be in a tender. If there's a queue for the tender, you just join it - tenders will operate after "last tender" time to mop up the  queue. In fact on more than one occasion I've seen folk sheepishly join the back of a queue after "last tender time", but that's really pushing their luck cos if there's no queue at "last tender time" ...........🥵 

A couple of years back, Celebrity broke the mould and return some of their excursions to Athinios, so that avoids the grief both out and back. But I don't know if any other cruise line has followed suit.

If that's available for your cruise it's well  worth considering.

Only your second post on Cruise Critic, so welcome to the community.

And using the word queue rather than line suggests you're a Brit or an Aussie ?

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, andrewk8511 said:

Thanks for the info.

Slightly off topic, but what are the recommendations for Santorini? From my research it appears that an excursion, any excursion, is necessary just to avoid the cable car queue! 

I agree with @John Bull.  You do not need to worry about the cable car queue; just walk up.  I am in my late 50s, not any great shape, and I found it to be a pleasant 40 minute walk.  Why so many people who are in much better shape than me eschew the walk up is puzzling.  

18 hours ago, andrewk8511 said:

Thanks John, some very useful information. Yes I'm a Brit, embarking on our first cruise! Lots to learn but this site and community certainly helps. 

That's what the forums are all about,  Andrew.

Well, that plus the odd heated exchange 😄

Have a great first cruise

JB 🙂

On 1/23/2023 at 7:22 AM, andrewk8511 said:

Thanks for the info.

Booking a ship's excursion is a good way to ensure an early start to your day in Santorini.  After reading about cable car woes last summer, I came to that same conclusion, but when I tried to make a reservation 1 month prior to sailing, it was sold out. It was a simple excursion that provided 1 1/2 hrs in Oia then dropped you in Thira.  (only the Spanish version was available, which in hindsight I should have booked.) We waited 2 hrs in line for the cablecars!  Walking the steps wasn't an option, due to my friends leg problem, plus the heat since there is no shade on the path.  By the time we reached the top, there was only 3 hrs of daylight left, no taxis, and a line for the bus, so we just stayed in Thira; found a few churches, had a drink, and enjoyed the views.

I recommend that you google to find out which ships are in port with you; their arrival and departure times and # of pax.  We only had 1 large ship in port with us, so I don't know why the wait was so long going up, but they left 4 hrs before us, so there was NO wait going down.    

On 1/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, pdmlynek said:

I agree with @John Bull.  You do not need to worry about the cable car queue; just walk up.  I am in my late 50s, not any great shape, and I found it to be a pleasant 40 minute walk.  Why so many people who are in much better shape than me eschew the walk up is puzzling.  

Not too puzzling when you consider that part of that walk (whenever you cross or walk on the donkey train) may have you dealing with donkey poo (which can make the road smelly and slippery).  

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not too puzzling when you consider that part of that walk (whenever you cross or walk on the donkey train) may have you dealing with donkey poo (which can make the road smelly and slippery).  

I am not sure why that would be an issue.  It is just donkey poop.  It is not nasty as human or dog poop. Step over it or into it, and go on.  It is just natural, normal part of life -- nothing to worry about.

As far as slippery, given that one will be walking about Santorini anyway, one should wear good hiking boots. If one wears trainers, tennis shoes, or sandals, yes, one will have problems with the trail being slippery.

But, to each one's own.

• 2 weeks later...

I did that excursion10 years ago and it was great!   I’m hoping it’s offered again.  We got to jump off the boat, swim to the hot springs and wallow in the mud a bit.   So fun!  Then a short hike around the volcano area.

Edit to add:

Good news!  I see it is offered by Viatar.  Check them out.  It was very fun.

Edited by chica