Packing for my 4 night/5 day cruise in a personal item

PandaBear62

I'm heading out tomorrow for a 4 night/5 day cruise out of Los Angeles, sailing to Ensenada and Catalina. Just a quick getaway. We're flying SWA early the morning of. Not our usual practice of flying in the day before, but it's an hour flight from the Bay Area and we decided to take a chance. Dh has a rolling carryon and I decided to try just a personal item. 

My bag is a Kipling Sasha (the style used to be called Sherpa) but I don't think they make it anymore. Dimensions are 15 3/4 x 11 1/4 x 8 1/4. 

Flying Southwest, we could check bags for free and since we did early bird, a carryon isn't an issue. I just tend to prefer to pack light (I did a two week cruise of New England and Canada as well as a 10 day Alaskan cruise by carrying on a 22" roller and a tote). 

What I packed (this includes what I'm wearing):

3 pants

• navy blue pants (kind of performance wear, but looks more like leggings/slacks)
  • black pants (T by Talbot-these are very much like Athleta Brooklyn, but fit me like an ankle pant)
  • black/blue and white floral pants (these are a funny pattern-because they're floral, they are okay for summer, but being navy and black, I wear in winter as well)

7 tops

• 2 sleeveless tunic style (one black and white with tiny flowers, almost more like a pattern than floral and  one red, green floral)
  • 1 black performance wear fitted tee and 1 black blouse (for wearing with floral pants on travel days)
  • 1 blue and white stripe tunic with ruffled sleeves (not quite a "swing" top, but not straight either)
  • 1 black with white polka dots short sleeve blouse
  • 1 "dressier" top, black with teal flowers

2 shoes

• sneakers
  • black croc flats

Misc Clothes

• 1 sleeveless super lightweight dress (probably will use as swimsuit cover up)
  • 1 swimsuit
  • 1 white sweater by Chicos
  • 1 black sweater (a little fancier, with ruffled front and ruched sleeves)
  • 1 sleepshirt
  • 5 socks
  • 5 underwear 
  • 3 bras
  • a heavier jacket or coat, but haven't decided which

Misc Other Stuff

• very small bag with a charging cube and cords for electronics 
  • 2 iPads (that's not a typo....I have a small work project and suffice to say I need both)
  • quart bag for liquids (not even half full, I decant products. 
  • small bag with non liquid toiletries and misc items (safety pins, OTC meds, etc)
  • sanitary pads (I'm of a certain age and a little leakage, sorry if that's TMI but it is what it is)
  • crossbody phone case
  • 8.5x11 wet bag

In case you are curious, I am plus sized (size 1x or 18/20). The weather will likely be in the low 60's. I know sleeveless seems odd, but I wear a lot of sleeveless tops with a sweater here at home and it's essentially the same weather (I like the double layer but by arm not feeling constrained). I don't know if I'll use the pool or hot tub but I might. I also may buy a pass to the thermal spa, but want to see it first before deciding for sure, since it doesn't have any kind of spa/hot tub in it. 

The coverup is actually a dress and I could wear it with a sweater. The crocs I am bringing are fine for the pool  but also can be worn with pants and just look like regular flats. They're a nice dual use item, especially when you only have one "dressy" dinner and won't be spending lots of time at the pool.

I should also add I will have a small eBags crossbody purse (they don't sell it anymore, but it has the nice security clasps on the zippers). I use it, or a larger purse of the same style, for all travel. 

• Like 2

I think you're way over-packing.  Specific thoughts, with low 60s in mind:  

- Wear one pair of pants ... pack one more pair in your bag.  Though I like the idea of the floral pants, I'd say go with simple colored bottoms for this trip.  This means one pair gets worn twice, the other gets worn three times ... that's not too much.  

- Wear one top ... pack four.  That's one per day.  Remember, your goal is to pack in one small bag.  Being a Carolina girl, I'm also very into the sleeveless /short sleeved top or dress under a cardigan for winter ... it's just practical for our weather. 

- Wear one simple cardigan that'll match several shirts ... and pack one dressier wrap /cardigan that'll also match several shirts.  

- Pack one dress for dinners ... be sure it will match your flats and one of the sweaters. 

- Swimsuit ... I was wondering about swimming in low 60s weather (not my idea of fun), but then I saw your note about the hot tub.  I would bring a separate cover-up ... after using a dress for a cover-up, it's going to be, well, used.  I'm FINE with re-wearing things on a cruise, but I wouldn't want to wear something I'd worn as a cover-up to dinner.  

- One sleep shirt 

- Wear the sneakers ... pack the flats for dinner.  Will you wear socks?  I usually don't.  

- Under things

- Do you need that heavier coat in low 60s?  Since you can wear it /don't have to fit it into your bag, this isn't a make-or-break. 

- You non-clothing items sound pretty reasonable.  

- You didn't mention jewelry or other accessories ... I'd say choose one simple necklace and earrings that'll match everything.  

- You didn't mention something to read on the plane /by the pool.  

- Speaking of toiletries, the all-in-one shampoo is okay IF you follow up with some good conditioner from home.  

- Do you need anything special for shore excursions?  Sometimes, for example, I want a disposable camera, sometimes I need water shoes. 

What I'm recommending is 10 items of clothing + 1 pair of flats + underthings + non-clothing IN YOUR BAG ... and that's do-able.  Roll your clothes into tight little bundles.  Shorter cruises are less formal.  You can totally do this in one small bag.  My husband and I just did a three-night cruise with one small bag.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 7:07 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I think you're way over-packing.  Specific thoughts, with low 60s in mind:  

- Wear one pair of pants ... pack one more pair in your bag.  Though I like the idea of the floral pants, I'd say go with simple colored bottoms for this trip.  This means one pair gets worn twice, the other gets worn three times ... that's not too much.  

- Wear one top ... pack four.  That's one per day.  Remember, your goal is to pack in one small bag.  Being a Carolina girl, I'm also very into the sleeveless /short sleeved top or dress under a cardigan for winter ... it's just practical for our weather. 

- Wear one simple cardigan that'll match several shirts ... and pack one dressier wrap /cardigan that'll also match several shirts.  

- Pack one dress for dinners ... be sure it will match your flats and one of the sweaters. 

- Swimsuit ... I was wondering about swimming in low 60s weather (not my idea of fun), but then I saw your note about the hot tub.  I would bring a separate cover-up ... after using a dress for a cover-up, it's going to be, well, used.  I'm FINE with re-wearing things on a cruise, but I wouldn't want to wear something I'd worn as a cover-up to dinner.  

- One sleep shirt 

- Wear the sneakers ... pack the flats for dinner.  Will you wear socks?  I usually don't.  

- Under things

- Do you need that heavier coat in low 60s?  Since you can wear it /don't have to fit it into your bag, this isn't a make-or-break. 

- You non-clothing items sound pretty reasonable.  

- You didn't mention jewelry or other accessories ... I'd say choose one simple necklace and earrings that'll match everything.  

- You didn't mention something to read on the plane /by the pool.  

- Speaking of toiletries, the all-in-one shampoo is okay IF you follow up with some good conditioner from home.  

- Do you need anything special for shore excursions?  Sometimes, for example, I want a disposable camera, sometimes I need water shoes. 

What I'm recommending is 10 items of clothing + 1 pair of flats + underthings + non-clothing IN YOUR BAG ... and that's do-able.  Roll your clothes into tight little bundles.  Shorter cruises are less formal.  You can totally do this in one small bag.  My husband and I just did a three-night cruise with one small bag.  

thanks for your comments. I am currently on the ship and really happy with my choices. 

jacket

We waited in the domed building to board the ships….it was quite cold and all the public areas were quite cold the first two days of the trip. I wore my jacket a lot.

swimsuit and coverup

i did decided to purchase a thermal spa pass so am using my swimsuit and coverup.

nice top and slacks

while some people were much more dressed up than dh and I, in general we were as dressed up or more for “dress to impress” night. My slacks, top and flats were fine. 

Everything I mentioned above for easily in my personal item with some room to spare. 

• Like 5