FLL Marriott Marina

Watermanfunari

Does anyone know why I can not get any info on Fort Lauderdale Marriott Marina any more. I have stayed there a couple years ago.

Did it change hands or something? I can not get any info from the Marriott web site on this location.

If anyone knows let me know.

Watermanfunari@aol.com

Thanks

Sue

The Marriott Marina changed names back in February. They are now owned by the same people who own the Hyatt Pier 66. They are an investor group. They have a web site at --http://www.fortlauderdalegrande.com/

I had a booking, made in January, for mid April. They lost the booking and I have had a heck of a time straightening this mess out with Expedia. Also I have heard that they are remodeling. I'm stuck with the booking but if I knew in advance how much of a problem it was going to be I would have booked at the Embassy Suites.

Thanks to all that responded. I found it now.

I just have to decide weather to go back to that Hotel or the Hyatt pier 66. I really like the Hyatt.

Last time when we stayed at the Marina, they had a club executive level, which I like, it gives you drinks and some food and breakfast in the morning, it was in a nice big room with big screen TV. I do not mind paying the price and since it was overlooking the ships, it was great. I did not like the rooms though, they really looked worn out, so hopefully they redid them all. The pool there was nice, but not a lot of sun.

Hyatt just might be the one I will go with again. Love the revolving bar at the top of the Hotel.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sue

Here is the link to the hotel for the ones that are interested.

http://www.luxuryresorts.com/Properties/properties.cfm?intPropertyId=26

I do know that they will be starting to totally refurbish this property soon as I am staying there on 12/01. I was told that you can book a certain type room but depending on what area is being renovated, may change your room location and type. They have dropped their rates since becoming The Grande. I was booked through Marriott for $349.00 a night. The price has dropped to $179.00 since I rebooked through the new owner. I'm sure the refurb has something to do with the lower rates.

We passed by the hotel 3 weeks ago on the way to the Princess pier. The hi-rise section looked completely empty(some windows boarded up) due I think to hurricane damage last fall. The 2 story motel type section was occupied. Regards Jack

Hey all,

I am glad I found your post. I booked this hotel yesterday for two days pre-cruise in Sept. I read some awful reviews on TripAdvisor and I am freaking out. I was thinking of cancelling and just booking the Embassy. (we usually stay there). I wanted something nice on the water though.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the info.

Hi Mark + Terri, Looks like you will be there first, we would not need the Hotel until Feb 8th. So we have to just decide on which ones sounds better.

Thanks to all that responded.

RockNoSalt, We stayed at the Old Marina, it was nice with the water taxi right there and all, food was good, with nice views. But I am glad that they are redoing the Hotel, it needed it, well, at least I thought the rooms needed it. Like I said I was on the Club Level, so you would think it would be nicer and cleaner looking. It just did not compare to Hyatt Pier66 at all.

If I do not pick Hyatt, (it is very expensive) which I do not mind as long as I have a nice clean room that fits the price.

Then I might try Embassy Suites. Any one want to comment on that Hotel?

I had a friend stay there a couple years ago and said they did not like that Hotel either. It is hard to pick because so many have many different takes on each Hotels.

Lets just say when in Miami, I stay at Intercontinental, very pricey, but that is the type I like.

We have many family members coming to Miami with us in Oct. so I will have to bite my tounge and choose the Holiday Inn so they all can afford it. I will just scream now and get it out of my system, lol. I will stay out late and just try to go to the room tired, lol. It's only one night.

So now that you know what type of Hotel I like, throw some suggeations for FLL. lol

Thanks again

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the info on the FLL Grande. I have been freaking out. I read some awful posts on TripAdvisor about it. One person said they had roaches and I really freaked. I actually cancelled my reservations this morning. I think I am going to wait until closer to cruise time. It isn't until Sept.

We have stayed at the Embassy twice. It is certainly no way in the same category as the Intercontinental (stayed at the one in New Orleans and loved it). The Embassy was clean. They had a free breakfast, a free happy hour in the evening and they took us to the port. They no longer have airport pickup. My daughter and son-in-law will be cruising with us and this might be more in their budget. I think I might just go back to the Embassy. Oh yes, and their is a Publix close by as well as a liquor store for last minute libations. Like you said, get to the room tired....lol

RocksNoSalt, No problem. I did not see any roaches, yuk, I would of freaked.

Thanks for the info on Embassy. If you don't mind what price did you get for a night there? I like the idea of the free breakfast and drinks. Joe might think he is getting a deal, lol.

Hyatt is alot of money like $350 to $450 and hubby gets mad. So I have been doing Video check out on the TV while he is in the bathroom so he does not see any of the prices for the Hotels anymore, lol.

I like the idea that the Embassy is closer to the Publix then the Hyatt.

I like to take a cab to get to the pier early, I will not wait for other people that are slow, lol.

I always arrive around 10:30/11:00 and we are like the first 25 on the ship, it is great.

We might wait about 1/2 to board, but we are so excited at that time that all we think of is the buffet that is waiting for us when we board, lol.

Thanks again

Sue

I stay at the Grande July7th I certainly hope someone stays there before be. At least after the reports that I read on Tripadvisor. I still have time to cancel, however, Embassy is booked for that night. I really wanted to try some place that had the water taxie. Stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott last year and it was nice. The restaurant next store had the best bread. YUM.

Cathy p

RocksNoSalt, No problem. I did not see any roaches, yuk, I would of freaked.

Thanks for the info on Embassy. If you don't mind what price did you get for a night there? I like the idea of the free breakfast and drinks. Joe might think he is getting a deal, lol.

Hyatt is alot of money like $350 to $450 and hubby gets mad. So I have been doing Video check out on the TV while he is in the bathroom so he does not see any of the prices for the Hotels anymore, lol.

I like the idea that the Embassy is closer to the Publix then the Hyatt.

I like to take a cab to get to the pier early, I will not wait for other people that are slow, lol.

I always arrive around 10:30/11:00 and we are like the first 25 on the ship, it is great.

We might wait about 1/2 to board, but we are so excited at that time that all we think of is the buffet that is waiting for us when we board, lol.

Thanks again

Sue

Last year I had gotten two prices $138 and then Woo hoo $118. I cancelled the $138 and re-booked the $118. I checked yesterday and the prices were a lot higher. Keep checking. I am going to wait and see if the prices come down. I don't mind paying more for a really nice place, but our friends would prefer not to.....also trying to keep the cost down for my daughter and son-in-law....

I just love the Publix....They have a great wine selection. The night we went they had a wine tasting...That was awesome to me. We can't buy wine in our grocery stores. Publix rocks!

Cathy P, you have some time before you stay there so I am sure that others will post with their experiences. Hyatt has a water taxi. It is fun to see thing by water instead of a cab.

RocksNoSalt, we are from New Jersey, so we also do not have wine in our grocery stores either. I love to shop at the publix everytime we go there.

Wine tasting, now that sounds great.

What month of the year did you get that price for Embassy? We usually go in Feb. and Oct. of each year to cruise, I think Feb. is the most expencive month. I will check often to see if I can get a good price. Even $200 sounds good, Hyatt was $300 to $400 for Feb. and that included nothing but the room.

We will all have to just keep reading and seeing what others think of the different Hotels and see what we think is best that suits our needs.

Talk soon

Happy Cruising

Sue

If you like wine at the Publix, you'll love shopping at a new store just a few doors down, Total Wine. I would guess they have a couple thousand different wines on display. I've never seen anything like it. They've only been open for 10 days.

CathyP, Which Courtyard are you talking about? Do you remember the name of the restaurant. I love good bread. Thanks.

Thanks Signman for your heads up on the wine store. It sounds awesome! I will definitely have to check it out next trip.

Sue:

The price was for last Sept. I think the prices go down then. I think you are right with Feb. being one of the more expensive months. Just keep checking. If you should find a hotel that fits the bill please post and let us know.

Also, since you are from Jersey are you planning on taking the Crown out of NY? I really would like to take it, but I am waiting in hopes that Princess or a TA will have bus transporation from the Baltimore area. I just don't want to schlep my luggage on the train, etc. I like the idea that it is longer than a 7 day. Perfect!

I'm not sure if this is the hotel you guys are talking about. My daughters and I just got back from the FLL Harbor and Yaht Club which used to be the Marriott Marina on 17th St. We stayed there pre-cruise on March 3rd. The room was on the 3rd floor, it was clean, carpet could of used some updating, but clean. The beds were so comfortable. The had a feather top comforter on top of the mattress and then a feathter down comforter to cover up with. It was the most comfortable beds in a hotel that we had ever had. The dinner was very expensive. We ate in the bar area (was too early for regular dinner seating). Had 2 cheeseburgers with fries and 3 soft drinks cost over $45.00 (not including tip). None of the vending machines were in working order. They had a small gift shop that offered snacks and sodas. It had a heated outdoor swimming pool. The girls had lots of fun. Also they had a hottub, next to an outside pool bar.

We didn't use this service, but they offered free shuttle bus to local beaches. The staff was very nice and seemed to go out of their way to help.

Hope this helps you guys. Good luck and have a nice cruise.

Here are two great alternatives in Fort Lauderdale:

Marriott Harbor Beach hotel, right on the ocean.

Pelican Beach Hotel (just north of the Ft. L strip) - also right on the ocean, plus it has a pool and a lazy river and ice cream shoppe -- it's a suite hotel - plenty of room, even if you have 3 kids! HOtel is family run, but now under the Best Western franchise. Believe me,it's not like any Best Western you've ever stayed at!

These are both more resort-y, but we usually need real down time before we cruise with the extended family!

Howard, Thanks for the info on Total Wine, we will have to check it out next time.

RocksNoSalt, Yes, we want to go on the Crown out of NY in 2007. I love Princess Grand Class ships, so I am sure I will love the Crown.

Lisa, Thanks for the info on the Hotel. Glad you had a good stay and no problems.

JudithEM, Thanks, I will check both the Hotels out.

Sue

Watermanfunari, we would not recommend the Hyatt Pier 66. They have closed the Pier Top Lounge in favor of private parties and banquets. Their restaraunt inside the hotel was closed for lunch and dinner. Requires you to go off the property or go to the Grill 66 which is about a $200 meal for two. They have a tiki hut by the pool which is OK as long as it doesn't rain! They are updating the rooms and most are not updated and pretty shabby. They should downgrade this hotel to a 3* but they charge 5* rates!!:rolleyes:

Archived