Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Flying to Budapest tonight for Viking Danube Waltz. Received email last night that we will not be embarking at Budapest but from Kormarom (sp?).  VIking will provide shuttles to Budapest but it is over 60 miles away each way so not sure how many times we will want to bus over.  .  Going to make the best of it.  Is there anything to do in Komorom besides forts?  Looking for a city center or thermal bath in the area we can taxi to.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MotherDaughterTravels said:

Is there anything to do in Komorom besides forts?  Looking for a city center or thermal bath in the area we can taxi to.  

Have you checked the roll call(s) yet? There is some additional info in there.

There is a modern baths complex in Komarom. If you are interested in cathedrals I recommend the Esztergom Basilica.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MotherDaughterTravels said:

Flying to Budapest tonight for Viking Danube Waltz. Received email last night that we will not be embarking at Budapest but from Kormarom (sp?).  VIking will provide shuttles to Budapest but it is over 60 miles away each way so not sure how many times we will want to bus over.  .  Going to make the best of it.  Is there anything to do in Komorom besides forts?  Looking for a city center or thermal bath in the area we can taxi to.  

Yes the city center is fairly interesting and is in walking distance of the boat.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the updates.   Embarking the Emerald 'something' on Friday from 'Budapest' to 'Regensburg'.   I put in quotations because I am hopeful.   We have already been advised of a ship change so guess we'll have to wait and see where we end up!

• Like 4

SS Beatrice originally posted for passengers to meet in Budapest for a night at the Kempinski tomorrow before meeting the ship the next day. This was updated today that they will be taken directly to the ship in Bratislava tomorrow. Cruise director has had nothing but hard weeks since we disembarked 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pfelling gauge has further picked up a bit during the day. Interesting is what is happening at Straubing. Almost all ships dock in Nuremberg, Regensburg, Vilshofen and Passau to turn around or await better conditions. The Treasures on the other hand is still at Straubing and has just been joined by the Scenic Jasper, a 135m ship:

image.thumb.png.409ea8443ad025133ea81a40f6cb734b.png

As we have read from reports, things are not improving at Budapest:

image.png.fcefff7d1ef3b228c8d95ef8cdb9ee99.png

A hint of better conditions from the 21st...

notamermaid

• Thanks 2

1st time cruisers, celebrating our 25th anniversary on the Viking Grand European departing Budapest on Friday. 

Got email today that we will start in Komaron, and that there will be shuttle busses for excursions. 

Since we were planning on being docked in the city centre we booked our own night tour for day 1, and have bath tickets on day 2.   Will Viking bus us into the city even if we don't have an Excursion through them?

I called the 1 800 number, but they didn't know. 

Edited by Coke6pk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coke6pk said:

1st time cruisers, celebrating our 25th on the Viking Grand European departing Budapest on Friday. 

Got email today that we will start in Komaron, and that there will be shuttle busses for excursions. 

Since we were planning on being in the city centre we booked a night tour for day 1, and have bath tickets on day 2.   Will Viking bus us into the city even if we don't have an Excursion through them?

I called the 1 800 number, but they didn't know. 

Welcome to Cruisecritic. There has been some info on shuttle busses in the roll call you could also ask there.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I'm scheduled on the Viking Jarl from Budapest to Regensburg boarding on Oct 29. I've talked to Viking customer service several times and don't really get an answer about contingency plans if we dock in Komaron. I asked about shuttles into Budapest if we wanted to see the city on our own. They wouldn't commit to an answer. The company line is we are still scheduled to board in Budapest.   We're hoping for more rain and will make the best of it.  Any information on how Viking is handling cruises that are already underway would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm on the Viking Ingvi from Passau to Budapest, departing on Nov 1 and arriving in Budapest Nov 7. It will be interesting to see how things shake out. There seems to be a bit of rain in the 14 day forecast for the Danube basin, but how much actually falls is the key...

Thanks to all who post here - it's a wealth of real-time info!!

• Like 2

The high incidence of low water on the Danube this year, particularly between Nuremberg and Passau, will undoubtedly mean cruise lines look at their schedules for their future 14 day Grand European (European Gems, Splendors of Europe, etc) classic cruise between Amsterdam and Budapest and try to time them so they have a cruise leaving from each endpoint on the same day so, if a ship swap is needed toward the midpoint continental divide, they have an easier time handling it.

I was fortunate that on my Travelmarvel cruise on Vega departing from Amsterdam in August there was a corresponding cruise on Polaris that left from Budapest on the same day.  When a swap became necessary due to  low water, it was relatively simple with only one day of the itinerary really changed. 

Unfortunately, those on Capella, three days behind us, were also delayed at a similar point, though ironically by high water, and there was no ship to swap with so they were stuck for 3 days and the cruise itinerary altered significantly. Since then, I believe this has happened again though, this time, Travelmarvel swapped with an AMA ship operating for sister line APT. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Axelrod21 said:

I'm scheduled on the Viking Jarl from Budapest to Regensburg boarding on Oct 29. I've talked to Viking customer service several times and don't really get an answer about contingency plans if we dock in Komaron. I asked about shuttles into Budapest if we wanted to see the city on our own. They wouldn't commit to an answer. The company line is we are still scheduled to board in Budapest.   We're hoping for more rain and will make the best of it.  Any information on how Viking is handling cruises that are already underway would be appreciated.

Viking bused us from Budapest to Komaron for the night.  We had an option of taking the bus back to Budapest the next day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reeves35 said:

The high incidence of low water on the Danube this year, particularly between Nuremberg and Passau, will undoubtedly mean cruise lines look at their schedules for their future 14 day Grand European (European Gems, Splendors of Europe, etc) classic cruise between Amsterdam and Budapest and try to time them so they have a cruise leaving from each endpoint on the same day so, if a ship swap is needed toward the midpoint continental divide, they have an easier time handling it.

I was fortunate that on my Travelmarvel cruise on Vega departing from Amsterdam in August there was a corresponding cruise on Polaris that left from Budapest on the same day.  When a swap became necessary due to  low water, it was relatively simple with only one day of the itinerary really changed. 

Unfortunately, those on Capella, three days behind us, were also delayed at a similar point, though ironically by high water, and there was no ship to swap with so they were stuck for 3 days and the cruise itinerary altered significantly. Since then, I believe this has happened again though, this time, Travelmarvel swapped with an AMA ship operating for sister line APT. 

We are scheduled to be on Capella on 30 October in Budapest, on the Best of the Balkans trip. I’m wondering where Capella might be now and if our cruise will be disrupted.

Interesting times!

Pfelling gauge at 261cm, down again during the morning. As regards statistics we are now on 20plus "confirmed ship swap days" on the Danube whereas on the Rhine there are zero from what I can ascertain.

The Uniworld River Princess is doing the passage now, 110m long. Also sailing towards Pfelling is the excursion boat Johanna W+K.

The Treasures and the Scenic Jasper are still at Straubing.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Any words of wisdom for those passing THROUGH Budapest?  We're on viking Rinda (135m) and we just left Romania heading to Vienna via Budapest.  If the water is too low, what are our options likely to be?  I can imagine a transfer to smaller ships or being bussed 'around' Budapest then joining a new ship in Komarom.  That means packing/unpacking. Yuk. Or can we sail past Budapest, just can't dock there?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reeves35 said:

I would call it standard by now for the Grand European and the other similar long distance journeys. Viking may well have started it and by 2018 I was reporting on the swaps on a regular basis, mainly because the year was abysmal.

A company that operates an uneven number of ships will be out of luck with the odd - quite literally - ship or rather those passengers will not benefit from the ship swapping depending on when and for how long low water occurs. Of course, flooding could happen to impact as well. On the Danube it just never is as long a time frame.

If you happen to have low water on the Rhine and Danube at the same time you need even more sophisticated logistics to manage the two ship swaps along the way - yes that can happen folks - and keep the itinerary running. Again, 2018 was an abysmal year with very unhappy customers and some companies just giving up on the ship swap.

notamermaid

• Like 3

8 hours ago, reeves35 said:

I think there have previously been problems on the Rhine and Danube, certainly last year when we were originally due to go on the same itinerary, This year we sailed late July from Amsterdam on Travelmarvel Capella, after Cologne we were warned that it was 50:50 that we would need to make a ship swap and if that was the case it would be to an APT ship (Travelmarvel’s sister company). Fortunately this was not needed, we meet the APT ship, AMA Stella in Nuremburg. If this ship was not able to sail past Passau I assume that it would stop there and Capella would stop at Nuremberg and the passengers would be bussed between the two ships in both directions. As the APT group has six ships on the Rhine/Danube they appear to be well placed for these disruptions. I don’t know what the options are with companies that have an odd number of ships, are there standby ships to hire?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Y said:

I think there have previously been problems on the Rhine and Danube, certainly last year when we were originally due to go on the same itinerary, This year we sailed late July from Amsterdam on Travelmarvel Capella, after Cologne we were warned that it was 50:50 that we would need to make a ship swap and if that was the case it would be to an APT ship (Travelmarvel’s sister company). Fortunately this was not needed, we meet the APT ship, AMA Stella in Nuremburg. If this ship was not able to sail past Passau I assume that it would stop there and Capella would stop at Nuremberg and the passengers would be bussed between the two ships in both directions. As the APT group has six ships on the Rhine/Danube they appear to be well placed for these disruptions. I don’t know what the options are with companies that have an odd number of ships, are there standby ships to hire?

I don't think even  Viking or AMA could pull that off. You'd need a ship sitting around you didnt have cruises sold on, ready, in the right place and a crew to put on it that wasn't assigned to something else (for captains actually this is doable since they tend to rotate on and off the ships, everyone else (other than the cruise directors) is there the entire season.  I know that when the Ukraine war started that some refugees ended up on an AMA ship "not assigned to passenger duties' but I suspect later in the season that changes. Now that some lines would be pulling some ships off for the season, maybe but as a rule no. Probably early in the season too, if I recall right Viking had one damaged this year early on and just pulled a ship that was in the "spinup" phase into service

Interestingly I was reading marketing email from AMA today even after this year they are ADDING an Amsterdam to Budapest route back in 2025....from April to June......

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Any words of wisdom for those passing THROUGH Budapest?  We're on viking Rinda (135m) and we just left Romania heading to Vienna via Budapest.  If the water is too low, what are our options likely to be?  I can imagine a transfer to smaller ships or being bussed 'around' Budapest then joining a new ship in Komarom.  That means packing/unpacking. Yuk. Or can we sail past Budapest, just can't dock there?

That is something I had not given much thought before now. I wonder if there is some info in the roll calls. I have read of ships briefly docking in Budapest just to let off passengers but that is anecdotal.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Pfelling gauge has dropped a little further. Rain is sweeping into Germany from the West.

The question about Budapest got me thinking. The itinerary crossing the continent far from the East to the West - Bulgaria is the starting point I believe - called European Sojourn has potentially three areas of low water that need bridging. Not sure what is exactly happening at Budapest but if ships cannot sail through the city boundaries and past the Danube bend, you need to swap in Budapest. Then you need to swap in Passau/Vilshofen. Then you need to swap in Mainz/Rüdesheim. If it works like that you are on four ships on this journey.

The Rhine is still touch and go.

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aloha all. We arrive in Budapest on Saturday 10/21 for the Viking Grand European Tour. A few days ago I received an email from Viking advising that due to low water conditions our ship was being changed from the Viking Bragi to the Viking Skadi. Then today I received an email advising that our cruise will now start in Komárom instead of Budapest, and that we will be bussed to the ship there and then bussed back to Budapest for any excursions we are signed up for. Since Viking changed the ship we will be sailing on, I would imagine that they might be planning a ship swap somewhere upriver in Germany, but are not confirming it just yet. Komárom is not that far from Budapest, so we are ok with the short bus ride to and from there. But I am concerned about the potential for a much longer bus ride if we have to do a ship swap upstream. If any of you are currently in transit to Budapest from Amsterdam or from Amsterdam to Budapest and can share updates on river level conditions as well as whether Viking has been doing any ship swaps on your cruise, I would appreciate it much. Thanks!

Edited by HawaiiTraveler
Typo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, HawaiiTraveler said:

Aloha all. We arrive in Budapest on Saturday 10/21 for the Viking Grand European Tour.

Hello to you and welcome to Cruisecritic. Your pre-cruise experience with the emails is quite typical in the current situation and I am glad to read that Viking is informing passengers in this way. You will be on the wrong ship as your ship has done a swap or is about to and depending on conditions in a few days time you will likely swap between Passau and Nuremberg. But that is too early to say for sure.

You get up to date info here on the river in Germany - where the big problem lies - and I throw in some good info on rain when it happens.

Some people are happier to post (only) in roll calls so I recommend joining the one for your itinerary. You can find it via the forum jump at the bottom of this thread for example.

notamermaid